Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Should I upgrade to a cassette hub from old Superbe Pro FW hub

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-22, 11:52 AM
jimbaddabim

Bikes: 1995 Gary Fisher Cronus 1986 Ciocc 1984? Schwinn Fuji Track Classic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

I need to buy spokes for wheel builds and I haven't done it because I'm thinking of ditching my Superbe Pro Hubs for Shimano 600 hubs just for the index shifting and weight savings.

It's a Schwinn Peloton. I have new silver Mavic Open Pro hoops for it. Those are the only non-original parts. I have two Suntour 7sp freewheels, both are boat anchors, but the Suntour friction shifters are really nice.

Maybe build two sets of wheels? I've got wheels all over the place....
Old 01-17-22, 12:17 PM
BradH
Catching Smallmouth

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 1985 Trek 460, 2005 Lemond Tourmalet, 1984 Schwinn LeTour 'Luxe, 1988 Trek 400T, 1985 Trek 450, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1993 Diamond Back Apex, 1988 Schwinn Circuit, 1988 Schwinn Prologue, 1978 Trek TX700, Sannino

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 79 Posts
In my experience you'll end up using the same length spokes regardless of which hub you choose. There might be small variations in flange dimensions but not enough to need a different spoke length. Suntour, Shimano, Sansin, 126, 130 etc. As long as we're talking low flange hubs you'll be fine.
Likes For BradH:
Old 01-17-22, 12:35 PM
jimbaddabim

Originally Posted by BradH
In my experience you'll end up using the same length spokes regardless of which hub you choose. There might be small variations in flange dimensions but not enough to need a different spoke length. Suntour, Shimano, Sansin, 126, 130 etc. As long as we're talking low flange hubs you'll be fine.
1mm difference...I guess I should have checked. lol....
Old 01-17-22, 12:52 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by jimbaddabim
.. I'm thinking of ditching my Superbe Pro Hubs for Shimano 600 hubs just for the index shifting and weight savings....
You can do index shifting with the 7 sp freewheel. Either Shimano SIS index shifting or Brifter shifting. Both perfectly compatible with the 7 speed freewheel.
Old 01-17-22, 12:54 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 2,010 Times in 1,109 Posts
If your keeping friction and 7 speed, why change hubs? (I abandoned my Superbe Pro hubs because I prefer cup and cone.)
Old 01-17-22, 01:28 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Do you actually get any weight saving? The biggest advantage is the stronger axle since shipmano never really made the cassettes truly customizable

I ditched most of FW hubs years ago in favor of shipmano's 7spd cassette hub. I set up most of my bikes with that hub so that most of my wheels are interchangeable between bikes, and most are still running friction. There are exception like the two ergo bikes but if they ever break I'll ditching those 9spd hubs too

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 01-18-22, 07:45 PM
jimbaddabim

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Do you actually get any weight saving? The biggest advantage is the stronger axle since shipmano never really made the cassettes truly customizable

I ditched most of FW hubs years ago in favor of shipmano's 7spd cassette hub. I set up most of my bikes with that hub so that most of my wheels are interchangeable between bikes, and most are still running friction. There are exception like the two ergo bikes but if they ever break I'll ditching those 9spd hubs too
I have a Shimano 600 hub and 7sp cassette on my Ciocc with the 600 7sp indexed down tube shifters. The stuff just works flawlessly. I'm leaning toward keeping the Suntour stuff and I can always screw with it some other time.

Here's some freewheel pics just for fun.

84 New Winner and 90 Winner Pro(?)
Likes For jimbaddabim:
Old 01-18-22, 09:56 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
I had a bit of an existential crisis myself recently. I was considering what drivetrain to build for my upcoming gravel bike. I wanted a 6s half-step while trying to keep it all French. I very briefly thought about getting a set of Mavic 500 hubs and a set of lightweight rims to match. Then I realized that I am probably the only person in the universe with my custom half-step freewheel that I had just made and there are no new sprockets left to rebuild it when I wear it out. (I just did that to a different FW after only 2000 miles on it last spring - very frustrating.) So the thought of spending $300 on a high-falooti'n FW wheel set kind of made me dizzy.

Then I looked at trying to get a cassette made in the same gearing and realized that there are so few cassettes that don't have spiders in the big sprockets, that I may not be able to get replacements there either! 7s and 8s cassettes (the best source of separate, individual sprockets) are going the way of the dinosaurs. There doesn't seem to be much hope in making customizable cassettes in the near future. Everything is all spidered together, 1X cassettes with 50t sprockets, and 12 speed. What is this world coming to?
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 01-19-22, 12:02 AM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
Claim of 'boat anchor' weight on those freewheels needs to balanced by ADDING the weight of a ShimaNO freehub body to the weight of the cassette gear cluster
Likes For TPL:
Old 01-19-22, 08:23 AM
jimbaddabim

Originally Posted by TPL
Claim of 'boat anchor' weight on those freewheels needs to balanced by ADDING the weight of a ShimaNO freehub body to the weight of the cassette gear cluster
Good point. I'll do that today. Maybe. Well, ok now...

I just busted out the postal scale and measured the Suntour stuff and pulled the cassette and hub data off the interwebs...

It just comes down on how much of a weight weenie one must become, your gearing preferences, and money of course.

423g Shimano FH-6401

296g Superbe Pro w/ skewer

241g 12-28 Cassette

394g 12-24 New Winner FW

495g 12-30 Winner Pro FW

Last edited by jimbaddabim; 01-19-22 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-19-22, 08:38 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by TPL
Originally Posted by mountaindave
I had a bit of an existential crisis myself recently. I was considering what drivetrain to build for my upcoming gravel bike. I wanted a 6s half-step while trying to keep it all French. I very briefly thought about getting a set of Mavic 500 hubs and a set of lightweight rims to match. Then I realized that I am probably the only person in the universe with my custom half-step freewheel that I had just made and there are no new sprockets left to rebuild it when I wear it out. (I just did that to a different FW after only 2000 miles on it last spring - very frustrating.) So the thought of spending $300 on a high-falooti'n FW wheel set kind of made me dizzy.

Then I looked at trying to get a cassette made in the same gearing and realized that there are so few cassettes that don't have spiders in the big sprockets, that I may not be able to get replacements there either! 7s and 8s cassettes (the best source of separate, individual sprockets) are going the way of the dinosaurs. There doesn't seem to be much hope in making customizable cassettes in the near future. Everything is all spidered together, 1X cassettes with 50t sprockets, and 12 speed. What is this world coming to?
I have used 10 and 11 or 9 speed sprockets with 7 or 8 speed spacers and it worked perfectly fine with friction. But less reliable in index mode.
Basically any combo of sprocket with the right spacers is enough in friction mode in my opinion
I have actually struggled to get spacers more than cogs.
I should add I have only used hg cogs.
Likes For blamester: