Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Alt Bike Culture
Reload this Page >

carrier bicycle problem, help needed

Notices
Alt Bike Culture Chopped, dropped, stretched, lifted, and otherwise cut up and put back together. The art and science of choppers, cruisers, lowriders and the vast world of mutant bicycles.

Old 09-22-22, 01:53 PM
kirovecbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

so i built this creation, it has rear end of a bicycle and front end is carrier kinda thing, pretty usable for transportation of lightweight things and so, but i have one problem, whenever i ride it it is very hard to steer, wheels are adjusted for toe in and out good and it lifts front wheel in corner like it wants to roll over, also when its stopped it will sort of collapse at extreme steering angles, if i fixed these things its gonna be really good carrier thing, looking forward to replies and advices, also hi im new around here and it doesnt let me to upload a photo
Old 09-22-22, 02:01 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,560 Times in 3,763 Posts
Pic Assist - https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/26502715

Old 09-23-22, 05:46 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Cycling with cargo is problem. Your solution is similar in some ways to some existing designs, but it differs in the bike's geometry. The steering axis is the centerline of the fork. The wheels look to be too far in front of the steering axis. Your bike reminds me of the Worksman Front Loader.

This picture is from Worksman's website.

With this style of bike the steering axis is under the cargo box close to the wheel centerline. The whole cargo box is part of the steerable front similar to your bike. I don't know if Worksman places the steering axis right in line with the wheels or slightly in front of the wheels. If I were to guess, I would think that the steering axis would be an inch or so in front of the wheel center line.

It looks like you welded your bike together. If so, you have the skills to make the modifications to make it similar to the bike shown above. That will solve your steering issues.

Keep the pictures coming @kirovecbiker as you continue to work on this bike. This looks interesting.
Old 09-25-22, 08:36 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 222 Posts
Can't tell for sure from the picture but it looks when turning you may not be allowing the inside wheel to turn sharper than the outside wheel (i.e., ackermann compensation). Maybe you've done that and I just can't see it under the front cross member.

EDIT: This video (starting at about 2 minutes in) gives a very simple explanation of ackerman geometry and why it is important:

Last edited by GeezyRider; 09-25-22 at 09:41 AM. Reason: add additional information
Old 09-26-22, 12:51 PM
bktourer1

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Good Humor Ice Cream once had bikes like that. Guy pedaled and had bells he rung
Old 08-03-23, 10:05 AM
Fastfingaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by kirovecbiker
so i built this creation, it has rear end of a bicycle and front end is carrier kinda thing, pretty usable for transportation of lightweight things and so, but i have one problem, whenever i ride it it is very hard to steer, wheels are adjusted for toe in and out good and it lifts front wheel in corner like it wants to roll over, also when its stopped it will sort of collapse at extreme steering angles, if i fixed these things its gonna be really good carrier thing, looking forward to replies and advices, also hi im new around here and it doesnt let me to upload a photo
,,,,,,,,,,well something that wide in the front is not going to steer well the way it's designed , something like that you have to engineer a little more so the wheels do the turning ,, imo ...