Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mounting Rear Light

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Mounting Rear Light

Old 09-30-22, 06:51 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
this worked for a while when I first got this bike
To me it looks like it's aimed a little too far outward.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-30-22, 08:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
To me it looks like it's aimed a little too far outward.
I know, it does! but worked pretty well, well seen, when I checked it, some distance away, to the rear, where approaching cars were coming from. but yeah, I moved it to the back of the rack after I installed one

if I had a mount w/ another elbow, of some kind, it could have stuck out a tiny bit more & then aimed more in line w/ direction of travel

thought I would share the pic cuz ppl were discussing seats stay & other options. the little clamps we get w/ lights don't always match up with the diameters of the bike's tubing

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-30-22 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-01-22, 06:39 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
My wife's bike has no room on the seat post, and a rack with no bracket or holes drilled to mount a light, and she often uses panniers so seat stay mounts don't work. So I came up with this DIY idea. I clipped the light on, drilled a 1/8" hole through the plastic clip and rack, enlarged the rack hole to 3/16", then drove a sheet metal screw, tight in the clip and loose in the hole. Feels good and solid.

Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 10-01-22, 07:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
My wife's bike has no room on the seat post, and a rack with no bracket or holes drilled to mount a light, and she often uses panniers so seat stay mounts don't work. So I came up with this DIY idea. I clipped the light on, drilled a 1/8" hole through the plastic clip and rack, enlarged the rack hole to 3/16", then drove a sheet metal screw, tight in the clip and loose in the hole. Feels good and solid.
I love it but I hope that plastic clip doesn't crack & break off. I like the way you think. see post #9 (& others) here

this mount has been surprisingly durable

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-02-22 at 01:57 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-01-22, 08:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
I've found the fabric loops on seat/trunk bags and many light clips need a little insurance like a zip tie to keep the light attached on crappy midwestern roads.

I've lost/broken more than one. None since

I bought 24 of the planet bike lights you have in this pic and can confidently say I haven't come across a worse mounting clip in many years. The mounting clip is total trash- it's loose and allows the light to easily fall off.
Well designed light clips aren't expensive which makes it even more confusing why they would use this design.
Old 10-01-22, 09:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I solved the “no room under the seat bag” problem by replacing the seat bag with a seat roll.

Lots of room now.

Five point deduction for being messy. Sorry

Old 10-01-22, 09:46 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by prj71
Is BF really at a point where a person can't figure out how to mount a light on their bike?
A better question is, if you disagree with the post so strongly, why are you bothering to read it? And even better, why are you expending the effort to even comment?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-02-22, 02:00 PM
rumrunn6

at least we're not talking abut how to clean a chain
Old 10-05-22, 10:05 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
And even better, why are you expending the effort to even comment?
I often question whether or not common sense is common anymore. We seem to have a lot folks these days that are book smart but lack street smarts.
Old 10-05-22, 11:26 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by prj71
I often question whether or not common sense is common anymore. We seem to have a lot folks these days that are book smart but lack street smarts.
Hate to break it you but there is a very old expression which has always been true, “There is nothing common about common sense.” Book smarts means relatively little to me. Have met several degreed idiots. On the other hand, have met many degreed brainiacs as well. Native intelligence (street smarts) means everything, but many times it takes both to really succeed.

Old 10-05-22, 03:22 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
It's funny ... i grew up in a time when specialized information was relatively hard to come by, and trying to find a way to mount a light on a bike was more an exercise in creativity than a matter of research.

Now i have almost all of the knowledge of the human race throughout history readily available .... and very easily searchable.

And somehow, some people seem not to live in this world.

Seven out of ten posts here could be completely answered with two words: "Google it."

And, no joke, I said that to someone once and the replay was, "I don't use Google, it doesn't give good results." The person was not able to understand that "Google it" actually translates to "Search the web."

I guess she should have googled it.

Hope the OP has successfully mounted the light.

Those old-school aluminum bottle-cage mounts (as shown in post #29) work wonders in all kinds of situations.