Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Norman Invader Q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-11, 06:22 PM
glenmaki

Bikes: Giant reign II, !985 specialived Allez, Fisher Mt Tam steel frame, Pre 1960 Norman Invader, 1982 Nishiki Olympic 12 and few others.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Norman Invader Q's

Hi, I recently picked up this Norman Invader, cleaned, lubed and tuned it, could use some cable housing. The Brooks saddle is pretty dried out, tried soaking it in boot oil for a week, still stiff and maybe brittle. I am curious as to the age of the bike, I researched and concluded that is pre 1960 due to the hub.

The bike has a Hercules hub "A TYPE 8". It has a Sturmey Archer shifter. The bars are Stratalite Maes, brakes are Weinmann type 730 ft, 600 r, rims are Weinmann aluminum. serial #R or B 98449.

Any insight into the bike would be great, the value would be nice to know but I am more interested in the year and if some stuff is upgraded like the wheels.

Thanks, Glen

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-19-11, 07:58 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
I haven't the foggiest what that's worth (I've never seen one for sale) but it is very cool bike for sure!
Old 07-19-11, 08:10 PM
glenmaki

Bikes: Giant reign II, !985 specialived Allez, Fisher Mt Tam steel frame, Pre 1960 Norman Invader, 1982 Nishiki Olympic 12 and few others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
I haven't the foggiest what that's worth (I've never seen one for sale) but it is very cool bike for sure!
I think its pretty cool myself, looking forward to riding it. I just got it all back together but have yet to take it for a proper ride.
Thanks, Glen
Old 07-20-11, 06:58 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by glenmaki
I think its pretty cool myself, looking forward to riding it. I just got it all back together but have yet to take it for a proper ride.
Thanks, Glen
While you're at it, check out THIS THREAD
- It deals with a Norman Rapide owned by one of our C&Vers (the Rapide is a notch up from the Invader), but it has some catalog references which will interest you.

Again glenmaki, congrats on finding such a special bike. Insofar as the value is concerned, It would probably be best not to give it a second thought and just RIDE IT instead !
Old 07-20-11, 07:55 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Hey Glen, nice bike!

If you're not looking to sell it, I suggest you forget about what it's worth and ask the moderator to move your thread to the main C&V forum where it'll get more notice. I only noticed it since Auchen pointed it out to me!

Anyway, I can tell you there was one on Ebay about a year ago with a starting price of $175. It was complete and original (more so than yours) but the paint was entirely gone (it was chromed underneath) and the fork was bent. Before the auction ran out the seller raised the starting price to $400 and it never sold. I kept an eye on it hoping he would reduce the price again; but he never did.

Your trigger shifter says "3 or 4 speed" on it; this dates it to 1950-3 if I recall correctly. At any rate yours has the same lugs and graphics as my Rapide and this confirms it's from the same general period. Your stem is clearly the original one based on the old catalog I have, and I suspect your handlebar is original too (mine does not have original stem or handlebar).

You should have a fulcrum clip on the top tube and a pulley wheel at the top of the seat tube; did you remove these for cleaning? You can get replacements....

The rest of the components should be pretty much the same as I have on my Rapide: GB standard brakes and levers (you may still have those); Dunlop Special Lightweight rims 32H front and 40H rear; Phillips pedals, Phillips front hub.

I tried counting the spokes on your rear wheel but maybe you should. The original wheel certainly had 40 spokes. I don't know if Normans ever came with Hercules hubs; I suppose it's possible. I would have expected a Sturmey Archer hub.

The crank should be a Williams C34. I can't tell, but this may be what you have; the chain ring may have been changed. If you still have the original crank arms, which seems pretty likely, look for a date code on the back. It looks like a dagger with a few letters scattered around it. Look up the letters here.

I am compiling a list of serial numbers but don't have it here with me now. I'll add yours and see if that tells us anything (it probably won't).
Old 07-20-11, 09:02 AM
glenmaki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks rhm, I looked at the things you mentioned. It has Weinmann aluminum rims as I mentioned earlier and 36 spokes, also Weinmann brakes. There is no date code on the back of the crank arms. I read somewhere, maybe Sheldon Browns site that they did use Hercules hubs. I did remove the pulley but it is back on and all working correctly although a little pitted. I posted a message in the regular vintage section with a link to this thread.
Thanks, Glen
Old 07-20-11, 12:25 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Right, let's continue the discussion in the new thread, then!