Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Cateye wireless speedo not working on ebike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-22, 10:49 AM
squarefour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi.

I've just fitted a Swytch bike kit to my bike. Whilst I am pleased with results, there is one problem: I have a Cateye wireless speedo fitted to the bike, with the sensor on the front wheel. When the electric motor in the Swytch wheel is running, the speedo no longer works: it drops to 0mph. If I then switch off the motor via the power pack the speedo starts working again. Similarly, when pedalling with the motor running the speedo stops working, but as soon as I stop pedalling, it starts working again.

I can only assume that the Swytch motor is interfering with the wireless signal to the speedo. Any ideas on how to solve this?
Old 01-01-22, 12:00 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 817 Times in 617 Posts
I'd try moving the sensor to the other side of the wheel (might or not work).
Old 01-01-22, 12:00 PM
classic carl
Old newbie

Bikes: 2022 Trek Emonda SL 5, 2002 Klein Quantum, 2000 Trek 8000, 2011 Trek 7.5 FX

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by squarefour
I can only assume that the Swytch motor is interfering with the wireless signal to the speedo. Any ideas on how to solve this?
Buy a GPS bike computer. I recently did, and I'm never going back. I took the wireless/magnetic computers off of all of my bikes. I use the Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt on all of them.
Old 01-02-22, 07:30 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Yes, likely electrical interference. I had that happen with a Cat Eye and a headlight! putting some distance between them (i.e., the light and the main Cat Eye unit) solved that problem. But if adding distance (and/or shielding) doesn't fit your problem, you may need to go the route CC suggested and migrate to GPS technology.
Good luck!
Old 01-02-22, 11:16 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Turning on my Cree LED light would hammer the wireless in my $10 bike speedometer, So I went to a $8 wired speedometer to solve that issue.
Old 01-03-22, 01:42 PM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Definitely RF interference, I used to use a Cateye Micro wireless, it didn't work when I used my front light, and it went nuts when I close to some automatic doors. The speed would bounce around when I was standing still, 15,45,25,75, etc.
I now use a Cateye Stealth, a GPS unit. It works great, no interference. And I can switch it between bikes, it makes life easier.
Old 01-04-22, 03:53 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Turning on my Cree LED light would hammer the wireless in my $10 bike speedometer, So I went to a $8 wired speedometer to solve that issue.
I had the exact same issue with a Cree LED light. The computer pickup was on the left fork leg so I moved the light to the right of the stem so the light and computer head were separated as far as possible. No further issues.

All the Swytch components are up front and on the bar so the interference would be strongest there. I don't know how much range the Cateye has but it might be worth moving the sender unit to a seat stay. Sounds iffy, but who knows, if might be a no-cost fix.
Old 01-04-22, 04:04 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I'd try moving the sensor to the other side of the wheel (might or not work).
better yet the other wheel sounds like all kinds of electrical noise from the motor.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 03-17-22, 09:51 PM
bicarb

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem with my Swytch bike and velo wireless +. Resolved it by moving sensor to rear wheel and display to crossbar approx 100mm from the front of the seat. Not ideal, but it's a fix I'm going with.