Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Kickr Bike

Old 02-20-22, 06:05 AM
jans

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kickr Bike

Exploring the option of purchasing one. However with the Kickr Bike initially being released in 2019, is there a release planned for a newer Kickr Bike? Anyone have any info?
Old 02-20-22, 06:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,718 Times in 2,913 Posts
I bought one back in November. Haven't heard any rumours about a newer version. When it was released in 2019 they were in very short supply. It's only over the last year that they have been readily available in stock, so I doubt there will be a new version coming any time soon. It's a very niche market so I would expect a long product cycle.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-22-22, 09:49 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,162 Times in 672 Posts
Been riding mine since 2019. Not sure what they might upgrade. It’s really very good and always ready to go!
I’d like dual sided power, but I’d settle for being able to disable the (hub type) power meter completely.
Weird ask, but that would permit easier use of dual power pedals.

Barry
Old 02-22-22, 01:53 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Barry2
Been riding mine since 2019. Not sure what they might upgrade. It’s really very good and always ready to go!
I’d like dual sided power, but I’d settle for being able to disable the (hub type) power meter completely.
Weird ask, but that would permit easier use of dual power pedals.

Barry
Why does it need to be disabled if you use an external power meter? I often used to connect my bike power meter directly to Zwift etc when I was using an Elite trainer and never had to disable the Elite power meter (I don't think you could anyway). I used to connect the Elite as the controller and my bike power meter as the power source. So it would just ignore the Elite power meter even though it was still broadcasting.
Old 02-22-22, 07:11 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Wahoo Kickr Bike and Dual Power Meter

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Why does it need to be disabled [snip].
I use a Wahoo Bolt to control the Wahoo Kickr Bike (ERG mode) and a Wahoo Headwind fan.
The Bolt cannot be convinced to ignore the PM in the Wahoo Kickr Bike and pay attention to my dual Garmin Rally Pedals.
Whatever I do the Kickr internal PM takes over.
I had to purchase a Garmin Edge 830 in order to run the dual Rally Pedals on the Kickr Bike. The 830 will quite happily prioritize the Rally PMs over the Wahoo PM yet still register cadence and speed from the Kickr.
Now if only the 830 would register and control the Headwind fan.

Like I said "Weird ask". My coach said I needed to track dual power, and wahoo world is fighting me.

Barry
Old 02-23-22, 09:17 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Barry2
I use a Wahoo Bolt to control the Wahoo Kickr Bike (ERG mode) and a Wahoo Headwind fan.
The Bolt cannot be convinced to ignore the PM in the Wahoo Kickr Bike and pay attention to my dual Garmin Rally Pedals.
Whatever I do the Kickr internal PM takes over.
I had to purchase a Garmin Edge 830 in order to run the dual Rally Pedals on the Kickr Bike. The 830 will quite happily prioritize the Rally PMs over the Wahoo PM yet still register cadence and speed from the Kickr.
Now if only the 830 would register and control the Headwind fan.

Like I said "Weird ask". My coach said I needed to track dual power, and wahoo world is fighting me.

Barry
Weird indeed! I guess few people are controlling their Kickr Bike through a bike head unit.
Old 02-27-22, 02:11 PM
Ed Wiser

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
I ride a kicker bike and just hook it to the app I am using. Never would worry with dual petals. Way to many years riding rollers. Which teaches you proper petaling technic.
Old 02-27-22, 10:44 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Originally Posted by Ed Wiser
Way to many years riding rollers. Which teaches you proper petaling technic.
Ed,
How do rollers teach pedaling technique?

Barry
Old 02-28-22, 10:42 AM
Ed Wiser

Rollers teach you how to balance the power in your legs. An keep your upper body still. You don’t grip the Handel bars hard and move your shoulders. All the movement is in your legs.
Old 02-28-22, 11:05 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
i watched the video. i don't think this is anything you can't do on a regular trainer. if you've never done it before try putting a mirror in front and watch how much bobbing you do (or don't do), her head is quite steady in the video. if you don';t like looking at yourslef in a mirror try hanging a necklace with a good weight and try to minimize its motion.
Old 03-01-22, 12:29 PM
PeteHski

I can see how rollers might help someone to acquire these skills if they didn't already have them from thousands of miles of outdoor riding, but I'd rather ride my Kickr bike indoors.
Old 03-02-22, 12:09 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I can see how rollers might help someone to acquire these skills if they didn't already have them from thousands of miles of outdoor riding, but I'd rather ride my Kickr bike indoors.
Riding rollers is like riding on ice. If you're out of balance you'll drift off them, and easily. Rollers do force you to ride in balance with good technique. Try it, and you'll see.
Old 03-03-22, 05:38 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by dmanthree
Riding rollers is like riding on ice. If you're out of balance you'll drift off them, and easily. Rollers do force you to ride in balance with good technique. Try it, and you'll see.
Rollers are a specific skill I don't feel a need for. Been riding bikes since I could barely walk and never had any handling issues. I ride both on and off-road extensively. Nothing against rollers for those who enjoy them, but I don't think they are necessary to develop very good bike skills.
Old 03-03-22, 07:41 AM
dmanthree

Rollers are a specific skill I don't feel a need for. Been riding bikes since I could barely walk and never had any handling issues. I ride both on and off-road extensively. Nothing against rollers for those who enjoy them, but I don't think they are necessary to develop very good bike skills.
Necessary, no. But riding rollers can help achieve balance between left and right legs. They're not for everybody.
Old 03-03-22, 07:50 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
I like the idea of riding on ice actually as someone told me they did this to build skills for all that's mentioned above but to also prepare for safe riding in the winter.
Old 03-03-22, 08:28 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
I like the idea of riding on ice actually as someone told me they did this to build skills for all that's mentioned above but to also prepare for safe riding in the winter.
the last time i rode on ice i was laying on ice. no thanks.
Likes For spelger:
Old 03-03-22, 08:48 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by gthomson
You have NO chance of staying up if you're really on ice. Rollers prohibit front/back motion, and are not "slick" side to side. Ice is totally unforgiving.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 03-03-22, 10:51 AM
Ed Wiser

Rollers teach you balance in your petal stroke.
I ride rollers as part of my whole cycling fitness. Along with my Kickr bike. Balm e a smoothness on the bike is important. You don’t want to waste energy and not being able to apply a smooth constant petal stroke will make a difference.