Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Plantar fasciitis

Old 06-30-22, 11:09 PM
jmm77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JenGQ
I think I have this. I made a doctors appointment, but it’s a two week wait. I googled it and got conflicting information. Most however seem to suggest that cycling doesn’t cause it or make it worse. Anyone with experience with this have any input? I did go for a short ride and I didn’t have any pain during or after.
i have had it for over 15 years. Had to wear orthotics in all shoes, house slippers and cycling shoes just to be pain free. But with the orthotics, no pain and no issue cycling. Last few years I have found I don't need the orthotics. I attribute it to cycling and strengthened calf and foot muscles.
Likes For jmm77:
Old 07-01-22, 09:42 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Crocs helped me with my PF. Don't know if they cured it, but they where the most comfortable things I could wear.
Likes For leob1:
Old 07-01-22, 04:49 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I got it bad many years ago. My foot doctor told me that I could spend hundreds of dollars on custom shoe orthotics or by my own insoles called "Foot Soldiers" for $30 bucks. I bought the Foot Soldiers and put them in every pair of shoes I had. After about 3 months I noticed a big difference. After 6 months the pain was totally gone. I continued to wear those insoles for years afterward. Now I just make sure my insoles have a high arch and I'm good to go.

The difference in these versus other soles is they are similar to custom orthotics in that they have a stiff cradle for the heel and arch. These have a hard plastic cup that cradles the heel and arch but with a flexible foot bed attached that lets you walk normally.

I buy the blue colored full foot insoles.

These really work:
Description: https://www.klmlabstore.com/footsold...erts-s/156.htm
Their Store: https://www.klmlabstore.com/Foot-Sol...ierinsoles.htm

--

Last edited by drlogik; 07-01-22 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-01-22, 07:51 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
I'm glad I went the route of actually rehabbing my foot through exercises and walking instead of relying on orthotics for life. Nice to be able to walk pain free in any shoe, and barefoot again.

If it works satisfactorily for you, great. For me, I would rather not apply a life-long band-aid.