Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-22, 05:03 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
Undisclosed secret location (but think VERY creepy on a dark, rainy day) where Prowler helps to restore older balloon tire bikes.
Yes, creepy! Think Tower of London, Traitors Gate, skeletons still chained to the walls, “off with his head”. I think there’s even an oubliette. I’m used to it. Just dial in the classical station out of Temple and I’m fine.

It was a real treat to ride with “Doc” again. Such a gentleman. And don’t those two Voyageurs look different? Same year, model, color, size. But “the mule” has racks that surely hide the sleek looks of Doc’s bike. Thanks for the ride rccardr
Old 09-13-22, 03:04 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Likely the last day of Summer weather here in Fairplay it will likely snow tomorrow. Took a nice easy ride over to town on the SS Nishiki which is pretty much a good weather bike.

Likes For zukahn1:
Old 09-13-22, 06:07 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,794 Times in 668 Posts
Another short little spur of the moment 4 day bike tour beginning last Thursday.

I left North Bend and rode to Seattle, catching the ferry over to Bainbridge Island.

Turning onto the Snoqualmie Valley Trail at this crosswalk. Mt. Si in the background.

North Bend to Fay Bainbridge by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Arrival at Bainbridge Island. Do some food shopping then ride out to Fay Bainbridge Park campground.

I love this little park! They have hiker biker (HB) camping on a grassy area just off this beach for $7 per night. Beautiful warm day, I went swimming here after setting up camp.

There is a small community lining the lagoon next to the park. A nice place to walk after dinner.

Smoke from wildfires moved in during the evening. Watched the full moon rise over my camp..

Tomorrow onwards to Port Townsend…
Likes For northbend:
Old 09-13-22, 06:09 PM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Friday morning I Pass by Frog Rock leaving Bainbridge island for the Kitsap Peninsula via the Agate Passage Bridge.

Fay Bainbridge to Fort Casey by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Passage over the bridge is a bit nerve wracking due to traffic but thankfully it is short and I’m now on a quieter roads heading North. I stop in Port Gamble for lunch.

I make it to Port Townsend later in the afternoon. The place is crowded with tourists. Turns out this is the busiest weekend of the year - The Annual Wooden Boat Festival is in full swing. I pass through town to secure a HB camping spot at Fort Ward. I’m shocked when the park ranger turns me away saying they are full. I gently remind him that it is general policy in parks with HB sites to not turn any away but he was most adamant this was not the case here. Suggested I go elsewhere like the county fairgrounds. Huh…

It’s after 4PM and I decide to take the ferry over to Whidbey island where they having HB camping at Fort Casey next to the ferry dock. The camping was decent enough for an overnight stay. I’ll go back over in the morning to enjoy the Wooden Boat Festival.

That evening, I walked the bluffs inside the park before turning in. It was too dark for photos but I watched the moon rise over the old gun emplacements with their commanding view of the entrance to the Puget Sound.

A smoky sunrise Saturday Morning as the ferry slipped into the dock next door. Too early for me, I’ll have breakfast, break camp and take the next Boat..

Ft Casey to Ft Townsend and the Wooden Boat Festival by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The next boat is packed to the gills with cars, walk on passengers, bikers. Inside the passenger cabin a group called ‘the Shifty Sailors” is entertaining us with Sea Shanties during the 30 minute crossing.

The Shifty Sailors by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

…and the scrum to reach my bike as we were arriving was comical but somehow it all worked out.

Ft Casey to Ft Townsend and the Wooden Boat Festival by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

1st order of business was finding a HB campsite - this time it was a few miles south of town at Fort Townsend where their sites are tucked into the woods by the Ranger’s residence.

The best thing about this campground is that you can ride paths nearly all the way back into town. Next time I visit Port Townsend, this is where my ‘primary’ residence will be.
Old 09-13-22, 06:13 PM
northbend 

The Wooden Boat Festival

I spent the rest of the day wandering around the Wooden Boat Festival and happed by chance to run into forumite Alex Moll. He is an accomplished woodworker so this is a natural fit for him.

The bike parking area

I like wild Ales. Port Townsend has a really good brewery for that sort of thing. I stopped at Propolis Brewing on the way out of town for a cold one and to pack away something for dinner that night…

A quiet ride back to camp..

Fort Townsend to Fort Flagler by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Old 09-13-22, 06:17 PM
northbend 

Late Sunday morning I lazily pack up and ride over to Fort Flagler on Marrowstone Island to check out the camping there.

The Ranger at the park entrance suggested Site HB11 and she was so right! It was stunning. Located on the high bluffs above the beach.

A million dollar view for 12 bucks. I sat on that flat rock in the front after dinner and just soaked in the view. Several campers stopped and chatted and all agreed I had the best spot in the park.

I rode the paths all around the park and went for a brief swim at the beach.

Old 09-13-22, 06:17 PM
northbend 

Monday was simply a long (90+ miles) transit day riding back home. I took the ferry over to the mainland at Edmonds. Picked my way over to the Burke-Gilman Trail over by Kenmore and rode east to where it connects to the Sammamish River Trail. This is all familiar ground here. Taking the East Lake Sammamish Trail to Issaquah I stop at Boems for a well deserved Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Bar before heading into the foothills for home,

Fort Flagler to North Bend by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Then it’s off onto the Issaquah Preston, and Preston Fall City trails.

Now I’m in the homestretch - climbing out of Fall City to the Snoqualmie Valley Trail that takes me to North Bend.

There’s still some daylight left when I reach town. Early enough that I could stop for a proper sit down meal at the local brewery since I know my wife is at a friends house watching the Seahawks play on Monday Night Football against the Denver Broncos. Seattle recently traded our star quarterback to Denver during the last year of his contract. How good that trade was an open question but the way Russell Wilson forced the issue left a sore spot for many in Seattle.

With my belly full I felt like it would be a good idea to ride over to Robins Friends house, bust in after not showering for 4 days and ask: “Who Stinks More? Me or the Seahawks?”

Well, I didn’t know that Seattle was playing really well and in fact they ended up winning the game so the answer was unanimous: I really Stink.
Old 09-13-22, 06:36 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by northbend
I really Stink.
Great stuff, as usual. Thanks for posting your travelogue.
Likes For droppedandlost:
Old 09-14-22, 07:49 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Always thankful to post this thread,…..and

….and… I just wanna be, more like Matt P

just out and about for me. 2nd check ride. Notes: raise the saddle again a tad, bars,hoods,levers fine = shellac the cloth, tools are heavy - get light.

I did it justice @Andy Antipas = it’s a good rider

State of Reality Check USA

Relic of below \/\/\/ valley farming

With full clouds and chips of rain I had on long sleeves.

home again thinking about less weight and realizing the new Specialized tires with latex tubes are coming very soon. Can’t wait for the after pic.

Keep life sweet. Keep it free.
One World Is All

Last edited by Wildwood; 09-14-22 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-15-22, 12:07 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Last Saturday at Crater Lake, I sucked but all else was fantastic.

Old 09-15-22, 07:03 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
It's Squirrel Time!

Can you feel it yet?

Art Bell, years ago on his late night "Coast-to-Coast AM" radio show, used to call it "The Quickening". This is the eerie feeling that events, even time itself, are accelerating, and there is nothing we can do about it except try to keep up.

In cyclical (NPI) terms, this happens every year as autumn approaches and the leaves begin to change for one last, glorious riot of color before they leap to their deaths on the cold, hard ground below.

It's Squirrel Time! Around here, you cannot fail to notice them. Rushing frantically, hither and yon, with acorns in their mouths, they cross and re-cross the roads, playing chicken with vehicles that could, and often do, crush them flat. Another free meal of roadkill for crows too lazy to fly south.

So too, the cyclist. As we transition from summer into fall, the urge to get in those last big rides of the season becomes irresistible. We procrastinate pre-winter chores and other preparations just to squeeze every last, sweet mile of summer into our memory banks, to last us through the coming months of cold and dark.

From the quality of the recent posts in this thread, one would think you folks in the PNW are feeling this too. Incredible photos of beautiful country! But, doesn't your riding season just keep on going over there? Just add another layer over the jersey, maybe a heavier pair of gloves, and go? Whatever it is, thank you all so much for posting these.

Oops... gotta go. I think I just heard an acorn drop!

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!

Last edited by DQRider; 09-15-22 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-15-22, 04:12 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
You take the blue pill, the story ends and you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.

You take the red pill and you stay in wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes…..

You chose the red pill, and embark on a trip……

There will be London traffic, stationary as usual, but if your journey is by bicycle you ride straight on by….

By bike you never know who you will meet, a pretty girl with cool glasses,...

….or big angry scary smelly chunks of meat…

...dude chill out, and errr get some mouthwash bro.

Despite what the signs say there’s more than one way...

...oooh lets go down here....and again led astray, I can lose hours exploring this way but the sun still sets at the end of the day.

But the days have got shorter and I start to fret, as I’ve not fitted my winter lights yet. If I get my legs pumping and cut through the park, I’ll burn some rubber and get home before dark.
Old 09-15-22, 06:54 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer
You take the blue pill, the story ends and you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.

You take the red pill and you stay in wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes…..

You chose the red pill, and embark on a trip……

There will be London traffic, stationary as usual, but if your journey is by bicycle you ride straight on by….

By bike you never know who you will meet, a pretty girl with cool glasses,...

….or big angry scary smelly chunks of meat…

...dude chill out, and errr get some mouthwash bro.

Despite what the signs say there’s more than one way...

...oooh lets go down here....and again led astray, I can lose hours exploring this way but the sun still sets at the end of the day.

But the days have got shorter and I start to fret, as I’ve not fitted my winter lights yet. If I get my legs pumping and cut through the park, I’ll burn some rubber and get home before dark.
Oh yeah, I really like where this thread is heading now! ☯<--- Red Pill, anyone?

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 09-16-22, 12:11 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
Yesterday, the Gorge, ok weather, good ride.

John B. Yeon State Park to Cascade Locks and back.

Regular favorite ride, probably 6 times a year and several other different ones out there.

This Merz, RR150 lived in Cascade Locks when it was built for the locks manager at the time.

I normally hang out a bit at the Bridge of the Gods and then head back, this time I went down to the park with the locks and.....

Old 09-16-22, 10:38 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Up the trail a piece.

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-16-22, 11:03 AM
bironi
bironi

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 117 Posts
Nice trail, where is it?
Thanks!
Old 09-16-22, 11:25 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by bironi

Nice trail, where is it?
Burke-Gilman. The particular section in the photo is between the neighborhoods of Hawthorne Hills and Laurelhurst, running parallel to Sand Point Way.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-16-22, 01:42 PM
esasjl

Bikes: '84 Chas Roberts, '91 Peugeot Galibier, '94 Gitane Leader, '51 Dayton Elite, '90 Verago ATB, '08 Dawes Sardar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 60 Posts
Regular out and back to Stocks Reservoir. Bright, clear weather today, but autumn chill is here. The leaves will be falling soon.

It's been a dry summer so not much water left in the reservoir.

Clear view over the Yorkshire Three Peaks on the way back over Bowland Knotts.

Old 09-16-22, 03:04 PM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked 3,084 Times in 911 Posts
Great pics and write ups everyone! Matt, what is HB camping? I know it will be obvious when someone tells me but can’t think of what it stands for.

There is a lot of talk of approaching autumn and cold weather but here in the Southeast - Mid Atlantic, we’re spreading our wings, hopefully leaving the worst of heat and humidity behind us for a few months and looking forward to a couple of months of good weather riding. A lot of Bianchi here the past couple of days and as it happens I wrestled mine up the hills on the Blue Ridge Parkway today. A lot of my pics are in the Rockfish Valley looking up at the Blue Ridge at Rockfish Gap. This is the actual gap, looking down the other side at the Shenandoah Valley. The overpass and hill to the right is the transition from Blue Ridge Parkway to the south entrance of Skyline Drive. I 64 runs underneath. This spot has a couple of old gutted hotels and run down parking lots. It’s always crowded with parked cars and motorcycles. I can’t imagine why no one has revived it. I’ve always wondered if someone is using it a some sort of tax dodge or money laundering op. Bike riding thoughts today of opening a hotel/hiker hostel/bike shop/cafe there. Who’s in?

These rocks say my Celeste is the wrong shade
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, ‘89 Cinelli Supercorsa, ‘83 Bianchi Specialissima, ‘VO Randonneur, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur

Old 09-16-22, 04:34 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
Great pics and write ups everyone! Matt, what is HB camping? I know it will be obvious when someone tells me but can’t think of what it stands for.
When it comes to Matt, I think it stands for “hahd bastahd” as they say in the Boston area.
Old 09-16-22, 04:42 PM
bironi
bironi

Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Burke-Gilman. The particular section in the photo is between the neighborhoods of Hawthorne Hills and Laurelhurst, running parallel to Sand Point Way.

DD
Thanks much,
I rode that section for years, but it's been too many since.
By
Likes For bironi:
Old 09-16-22, 04:47 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I just wanna be, more like Matt P
​​​​​​

One World Is [enough for all of us].
Sing it loud, you old sea dog.
Old 09-16-22, 05:17 PM
bironi
bironi

tough day in the saddle

Today's ride without pics again.
I took an easy urban spin around Olympia today on my DeRosa fixed.
Visited two outdoor venues for a total of 4 scoops of Olympic Mountain ice cream.
2-espesso flake scoops, 2-salt caramel vanilla
This is my IPA substitute diet.
I did pick up on some good riding technique by following a woman on an upright flat barred bike for about a half mile.
She had a couple panniers on the rear and appeared to be riding a neighborhood commute route.
She had music playing from one of her bags, and would make loose back and hip movements along to the music.
She kept her whole upper body loose and flexible.
These are lessons I wish I would have learned years ago.
I would likely be less creaky than I am today.
I might follow down that same path soon.
By
Likes For bironi:
Old 09-16-22, 05:18 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Always thankful to post this theead

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
​​​​​​

Sing it loud, you old sea dog.
one Earth is all we have, now and forever.

Glad to ride earlier in this day - wool jersey weather.

Floating a shallow river on a cool, quiet morning.

Been a while since on this trail

Seismic waves?

International Peace Garden

3 year olds take pretty good pics of Grandpa’s arrival.
20year old titanium and that obsolete mechanical 10spd stuff. Must be vintage. Or exccuuuse me.
Old 09-16-22, 08:19 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,463 Times in 1,130 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs
Great pics and write ups everyone! Matt, what is HB camping?
"Hike and Bike."
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.