Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Newbie Question

Old 09-13-22, 10:54 PM
FixieBoy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie Question

Hi folks,

I am new to the fixed gear/single speed part of bikes. I recently got a bike that is a mismatch of parts, but I have a couple questions. First, I have a flip flop hub and want to add a freehub 16t to the other side. Does it matter which sprocket I get? I have what appears to be the Origin8 SS-1100 hub if that changes anything. Ideally 16t would be great. Also, what type of bars? It has flats on it now but I like the look of drops/ track bars. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-14-22, 10:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4250 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
You cannot add a freehub to fixed gear hub. In some cases you can add a freewheel but a freehub requires a cassette hub.

The freewheel does matter as does any gearing you add. The lower cost stuff tends to be less durable and less round and other things like that. With a single speed or fixed gear buying higher quality stuff can be a net good for the bike. However if you are just trying gearing to see if it is right buying something lower cost is sensible for a short bit to test.

In terms of different handlebars it is generally always possible but it can change a lot of things and without knowledge of the bike and your current fit on the bike it is tough to say. However typically you will need new brake levers and need to make sure the bars will fit the stem or you get the correct stem which is most important. Don't just buy stuff for looks either make sure you are comfortable on it. Track bars aren't always the most comfortable but practical on a track setting where everyone is going the same direction with the same goal in mind on the road you may want a different bar.
Old 09-15-22, 06:23 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Bike terminology is fairly precise, and when you say freehub it is way different from freewheel. Since you are admittedly new to this, you might benefit from checking out sheldonbrown.com and searching for information on fixed gear and single speed bikes. There's a lot of very practical information on how to set up your bike, what gearing is appropriate and other good stuff.

Regarding handlebars, the reason there's so many options is because folks seem to be always on the lookout for the "perfect" bar. I don't know that one exists, but if it did, it wouldn't be perfect forever because as we age, many of us have difficulty with drop bars. And so we begin with shallow drops, taller stems and eventually make the jump to flat bars, moustache bars, riser bars, whatever.

You say you like the look of drops and you mention track bars, which are a form of drop bars. Form matters for most of us, but function is arguably more important. Just like the people searching for "perfect" bars, it seems there are fads that come around. Avoid them, unless you like to spend money and do it repeatedly.

Ride the flat bars long enough to decide whether they are comfortable or not. Only then would I change things up. Use the money saved to buy something else for your ride, such as upgrading the wheels or something.
Old 09-18-22, 01:04 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by FixieBoy
Hi folks,

I am new to the fixed gear/single speed part of bikes. I recently got a bike that is a mismatch of parts, but I have a couple questions. First, I have a flip flop hub and want to add a freehub 16t to the other side. Does it matter which sprocket I get? I have what appears to be the Origin8 SS-1100 hub if that changes anything. Ideally 16t would be great. Also, what type of bars? It has flats on it now but I like the look of drops/ track bars. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I'm far from an expert, but I think that there's a terminology confusion here and the answer seems to be fairly simple (unless I'm missing something). The OP says that he has a flip flop hub. He's not changing the hub(s), he's changing the cog(s). He should be able to put his desired 16t on and just adjust the chain size/tension. I would recommend putting a 16t on both sides so if he decides to flip flop the back wheel, he won't need to fool with the chain size change.

I agree with TungaDude regarding the bars. Looking good is one thing, comfortable is another. Try what you have before you change.
Old 11-25-22, 01:22 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
Your hub will take a freewheel sprocket. 16t is fine depending on what you have on the other side, keep it within 1 tooth so your wheel will fit in the drop outs without needing to chain the number of links in the chain. Well you need to know where the axle is in the drop out first to know which tooth count will work.

Except for the mountain bike, all my bikes have drop bars, including my FG/SS Langster. Only one has a "track: bar or criterium bar. The disadvantage of that bar is hand position, there are fewer comfortable positions. It is made to provide clearance of the rider's forearms while in the drops, which is all the time.

I have been thinking to change to bull horns as I ride on the top of the bars most of the time.
Old 12-05-22, 10:09 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Just to clarify, if your hub looks like this, you can thread a 16T or whatever size freewheel you want onto the freewheel side. Shimano, ACS, Origin8, White Industries, Box 2, and other companies make freewheels of various sizes. 16T is the smallest you can go with a thread-on style. BMX shops, both online and brick-and-mortar, often have a decent selection. You do tend to get what you pay for; the WI and Box 2 units I've purchased have lasted forever. The others not so much.

As for bars, I think track bars are horrible for street riding. Get a road bar of some kind instead, and consider putting brake levers on it so you have a "hoods" hand position that makes climbing a lot more fun. And brakes are always a good idea, at least on the front wheel.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-06-22, 05:13 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
Track bars are dope...for looking at (or riding on the track). They don't have any place except the drops to ride on.

Others have answered the freewheel question.

Good luck and welcome!