Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Night Risk Mitigation for Tesla Autopilot [Limited Scope]

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Night Risk Mitigation for Tesla Autopilot [Limited Scope]

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-22, 08:34 AM
AmandaKY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Useful to know. Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-22-22, 10:47 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 330 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Nice idea, but not likely to succeed.
Agreed. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try. It did seem to delay the onset of normal form, but ultimately a fail.

Originally Posted by jon c.
I don't think the actions we can take are any different than the actions we've always taken to help ensure drivers see us. ...
I've been riding more at night lately (seasonal) and I came to the same conclusion. Nothing special about this radar-less Tesla. I had gotten a bit lazy about relying on yellow jersey, so this motivated me to make sure I've got a reflective vest on. I use reflective ankle bands which would help (bio-motion) but my panniers block them from rear view.
Old 09-22-22, 11:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
Agreed. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try. It did seem to delay the onset of normal form, but ultimately a fail.

I've been riding more at night lately (seasonal) and I came to the same conclusion. Nothing special about this radar-less Tesla. I had gotten a bit lazy about relying on yellow jersey, so this motivated me to make sure I've got a reflective vest on. I use reflective ankle bands which would help (bio-motion) but my panniers block them from rear view.
Alas, I think the problem in terms of this as a topic is we can't do anything but guess as to what the Tesla system is going to use as cues based only on lighting--I don't think even Tesla knows that. For example, I haven't got a clue as to whether the AI is going to be able to figure out that reflective ankle bands are even on the same vehicle as each other, or their relationship to the rear red light or whatever. I agree with the video that the removal of the radar really can't be justified as anything but a cost-saving measure. Isn't the whole point of AI that the machine is capable of synthesizing more data faster than a human being? As the video points out, sure removing a stream of data reduces the conflicts between streams of data, but those conflicts might be the things stopping the AI from deciding it's ok to roll over a motorcyclist.

This might not have been the ideal topic for it, but I really like the idea of stating the constraints of the topic in the OP, and hope you won't give up on it.

Last edited by livedarklions; 09-22-22 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-24-22, 12:36 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2699 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
For some odd reason, we give a pass to drivers that kill others... And this happens roughly 40,000 times a year. Oh sure, some drivers are arrested and convicted... but that generally occurs only in cases of alcohol or drug abuse associated with those drivers.

On the other hand, we now seem to demand that AVs be 100% error free... not just slightly better than human drivers or half as bad as human drivers... (like say 20,000 deaths a year), but no, AVs have to be nearly perfect. 99% perfect would still equate to 400 deaths a year. Will that be good enough? I doubt it. And certainly 90% better than humans would be 4000 deaths a year... no way that would be considered acceptable. But hey, 40,000 deaths by errant humans is "just an accident," right?
AV's are terrible, I ride around them most days (they infest my works campus.) They suck
Old 09-24-22, 10:04 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
AV's are terrible, I ride around them most days (they infest my works campus.) They suck
What kind of vehicle do you call an "AV"? Where is this campus that is infested by "AVs"? Why do they "suck?" in your opinion?
Old 09-24-22, 05:33 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2699 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What kind of vehicle do you call an "AV"? Where is this campus that is infested by "AVs"? Why do they "suck?" in your opinion?
The future is for riders - Zoox these clowns. the campus is SLAC the national accelerator, they suck because they are a nuisance on the road. I saw a traffic cone beat one.
Old 09-24-22, 07:39 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
I have no doubt that eventually self-driving vehicles will be safer in every way than human driven vehicles. I don’t think anyone really knows when that will be - 2 years, 5, 10, 100..

in the meantime, the waymo ones which are all over the place here seem hyper aware of cyclists, in a very annoying way, even when they have the right of way they sit at intersections, at a complete stop, making you wonder if they’ll decide to go and hit you if you go, or will they just sit there forever?
Old 09-26-22, 07:13 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
I have no doubt that eventually self-driving vehicles will be safer in every way than human driven vehicles. I don’t think anyone really knows when that will be - 2 years, 5, 10, 100..

in the meantime, the waymo ones which are all over the place here seem hyper aware of cyclists, in a very annoying way, even when they have the right of way they sit at intersections, at a complete stop, making you wonder if they’ll decide to go and hit you if you go, or will they just sit there forever?
It would be nice if they "blinked" or something... somehow "wave" you through if they "plan" on just sitting there. I have read that there are some AV design folks working on making the vehicles more pedestrian/cyclist/human friendly, by adding some form of "expression" to the vehicle to acknowledge humans in a more "human-like" manner... IE a wink, nod, gentle sound, etc.

Obviously this is some time in the future... as of yet, the AVs actually on the road are all prototype test vehicles.