Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Here I thought goatheads were bad enough.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-22, 10:12 PM
LethargicRush

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I was gonna go riding last sunday but after giving a quick inspection of my tires I managed to find and pull out what I assume to get a saguaro cactus spine. Just as tough as any nail I swear. Gonna have to double up on the slime on this next tube.

The culprit

the damage
Old 08-17-22, 11:01 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
In Central Texas its those dam Mesquite Thorns that will get ya.Tubeless tires with allot of slime can sometimes get by but eventually they win out. I once picked up a mesquite thorn in my front tire and when stepping off my bike got another through the web of my right great toe. I am so thankful it passed through and didn't get me deep. They are a bugger...

https://www.desertusa.com/flora/mesquite-tree.html
Old 08-18-22, 05:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I got a flat the other day where a big staple got stuck in my tire. It looked exactly like someone had applied a staple gun to my tire--if I had left it at a rack, I would've suspected deliberate sabotage because the placement looked so deliberate, but I was over an hour into a ride from home before it happened. Still can't figure out how I got the two neat holes running over it.
Old 08-18-22, 06:01 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Yikes!
Old 08-18-22, 07:16 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I got a flat the other day where a big staple got stuck in my tire. It looked exactly like someone had applied a staple gun to my tire--if I had left it at a rack, I would've suspected deliberate sabotage because the placement looked so deliberate, but I was over an hour into a ride from home before it happened. Still can't figure out how I got the two neat holes running over it.
A conduit staple got me a few months back and I was without means to repair/place -- DOH!!! Fortuitously my best riding buddy just happened to ride by, scolded at me for being unprepared, then biked home, came back in his Hatchback Caddy, we loaded the recumbent up and went back to his house to repair after some coffee and danish.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-18-22, 07:21 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
In Central Texas its those dam Mesquite Thorns that will get ya.Tubeless tires with allot of slime can sometimes get by but eventually they win out. I once picked up a mesquite thorn in my front tire and when stepping off my bike got another through the web of my right great toe. I am so thankful it passed through and didn't get me deep. They are a bugger...

are you going around barefoot?
Old 08-18-22, 07:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
A conduit staple got me a few months back and I was without means to repair/place -- DOH!!! Fortuitously my best riding buddy just happened to ride by, scolded at me for being unprepared, then biked home, came back in his Hatchback Caddy, we loaded the recumbent up and went back to his house to repair after some coffee and danish.

Admit it--you just staged the flat to get coffee and danish. Seriously, that's a really nice outcome to what could've been a damn frustrating experience.

I've never seen anybody fix a flat roadside on a recumbent. Is it more difficult, easier or about the same?
Old 08-18-22, 07:43 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
Admit it--you just staged the flat to get coffee and danish. Seriously, that's a really nice outcome to what could've been a damn frustrating experience.

I've never seen anybody fix a flat roadside on a recumbent. Is it more difficult, easier or about the same?
I wouldn't think it'd be more cumbentsome, but I haven't given one a tri.
Old 08-18-22, 08:00 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts

I have a RANS Velocity Squared and the size/weight makes it a PITA for rear with front not a problem.

r.e. bold -- LOL, We ride often and plan on a stop at his house after distance covered for his French Press, Publix Cheese Danish and Breyer's Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream.

Of course I never consume more calories than expended on the ride.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-18-22, 10:02 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Originally Posted by Troul
are you going around barefoot?
Ha... You would think... I don't wear bike specific shoes but yes they can work thier way past a thick sole at times. Often I have seen them nail the side of a foot through thick leather. The other thing is that they hide. Yep... Here ya are just trucking along walking or ridding and then BAMMM... You are nailed... Just one of those things...

Odd how they are drought resistant, grow like weeds, prevent erosion, and just about every part of the tree is eatable. Just like the saguaro cactus...
Old 08-18-22, 06:41 PM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
Caltrops are coming back in style?
gm
Old 08-19-22, 07:28 PM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 285 Posts
For those who don't know goathead thorns...I know them all too well. Aggravating little buggers. My dog's paws don't like them either.

Old 08-20-22, 12:00 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval

Yep. I have a bunch of them on my property. Nasty buggers. I've had the spines go through the soles of shoes.
Old 08-20-22, 12:04 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Ryder
For those who don't know goathead thorns...I know them all too well. Aggravating little buggers. My dog's paws don't like them either.

I always called them "cockleburrs", but maybe that's a Southern thing. I grew up in the South. And I've had a bunch of flats thanks to those f****rs.
Old 08-20-22, 02:56 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I always called them "cockleburrs", but maybe that's a Southern thing. I grew up in the South. And I've had a bunch of flats thanks to those f****rs.
Coclkleburrs are more round and kind of look like a porcupine.
Old 08-20-22, 04:27 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Originally Posted by LethargicRush
I was gonna go riding last sunday but after giving a quick inspection of my tires I managed to find and pull out what I assume to get a saguaro cactus spine. Just as tough as any nail I swear. Gonna have to double up on the slime on this next tube.

The culprit

the damage
Could be, but it looks more like a bougainvillea thorn to me. If you're in saguaro country, there are tons of other spikey plants around also.
Old 08-20-22, 05:18 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
I got a flat the other day where a big staple got stuck in my tire. …. Still can't figure out how I got the two neat holes running over it.
Front or rear?

All my nail/screw/sawzall blade flats have been on the rear tire.
Old 08-20-22, 07:09 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 285 Posts
Old 08-20-22, 11:16 AM
zandoval 

I always thought Thorny stuff was pretty bad in the south of the USA. But in the early 70's I did some Army MEDCAPs around Somalia and Kenya. WOW!!! There were the same looking thorns but only much MUCH BIGGER!!!

On one walkabout we were skirting a brushy plain just south of the Somali border. It was only a few klicks across but we were going around it adding twice the distance. When we asked our OR-2 why we didn't just cut across, thinking maybe mines or booby traps, he just offered a crooked smile and said THORNS... We didn't argue...
Old 08-20-22, 04:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by flangehead
Front or rear?

All my nail/screw/sawzall blade flats have been on the rear tire.
In this instance, the rear wheel was loaded with two rear rack panniers, so you might be onto something. Maybe the added weight made the rear tire easier to puncture.
Old 08-20-22, 06:54 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 330 Posts
In this instance, the rear wheel ...
I have had way more than five (I quit counting) rear metal sharps flats.

I think what happens is the front wheel flips them up and on occasion the sharp has tumbled into just the wrong position.

It seems to happen more often on my 1.9” wide mtb tire than on my 35 mm commuter tire, and I have not yet had one on my two narrower tired bikes. Most of my miles are on the wider tires, however.

I have had big thorn flats on the front tire when on natural surfaces.
​​​​​​