Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Muc Off Dry chain lube

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Muc Off Dry chain lube

Old 03-12-22, 05:35 AM
skom25

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Muc Off Dry chain lube

Hi,

I bought Muc Off Dry and Muc Off C3 Ceramic Dry. I read a lot and still do not know if it was good choice.

I ride on my Gravel mainly on dry, but it is hard to avoid summer shower or cloudy, moisty day. No standing water but high humidity.

What is you opinion about those lubes?
Old 03-12-22, 06:26 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by skom25
Hi,

I bought Muc Off Dry and Muc Off C3 Ceramic Dry. I read a lot and still do not know if it was good choice.

I ride on my Gravel mainly on dry, but it is hard to avoid summer shower or cloudy, moisty day. No standing water but high humidity.

For me, Ceramic Dry is best lube I’ve ever used. Just a drop on each roller, let sit for a few minutes, spin the crank a dozen times, wipe off many hours later. I get a quiet and relatively clean drivetrain for 200km. And I only apply to a clean chain. I did not like their wet lube at all.
Likes For Noonievut:
Old 03-12-22, 06:29 AM
skom25

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
You mean Ceramic?

Any issues with rust on chain or casette?
Old 03-12-22, 08:47 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 258 Posts
High humidity is not liquid wet thus still considered dry.

If you ride mostly dry, and those occasional wet days you clean your bikes asap when you get home, you can get away with any dry chain lube.

Example, Finish Line Dry they label it as an all-condition lube ^O^
Likes For soyabean:
Old 03-12-22, 09:03 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
My opinion on chain lubes is to try it and see if it works for you as you will get as many different opinions on it as there are posters here. Some good, some bad and plenty of "lively" debate. Nothing wrong with asking but it may not be as helpful as just using your own experience. Just sayin'.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-12-22, 09:19 AM
Bici Veloce

Bikes: 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL7 Dura-Ace Di2, 2022 Cervelo Caledonia-5 SRAM Rival etap AXS, 2019 Specialized Sirrus Elite Alloy, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2, 85 Bianchi Limited Shimano New 600EX

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 28 Posts
I've tried a few brands and Muc Off C3 Ceramic Dry is the best. It's super quiet, doesn't fling off or drip, and keeps the drivetrain clean and quiet the longest. It cleans up easily with water-soluble degreasers. I've ridden in drizzle and heavy fog with no issues.

Just my 2 cents.
Likes For Bici Veloce:
Old 03-12-22, 12:04 PM
skom25

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks for all replies!

I degreased fully new chain. Few times in degreaser and then in alcohol. Then I applied lube three times, wiping off excess after each layer. I read on KMC site, that if chain is fully degreased, it should be soaked in lube for 24h. Muc Off is too expensive for that, so I decided to put three layers instead of soaking.

I am impressed how clean it is. When I used oil on chain which was prepared in the same way, I immediately saw black marks on casette. Now everything is super clean.

I think that also UV feature is quite nice. It sounds stupid, but it is super easy to check if lube is applied on whole chain and rest of drivetrain.

It seems that lube is quite easy to wash off with water, at least when it is fresh from bottle. I hope cleaning and maintenance will be much easier than with oil based lubes.

Last edited by skom25; 03-12-22 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-12-22, 01:00 PM
hrdknox1

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
A common mistake made is not rinsing the chain thoroughly after cleaning with solvent or degreaser. Thoroughly rinsing the chain with water and drying it is essential before applying lube. Otherwise the lubricant will not adhere well to the surface of the chain.
Old 03-12-22, 01:16 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
I think that also UV feature is quite nice. It sounds stupid, but it is super easy to check if lube is applied on whole chain and rest of drivetrain.
Only the chain needs lube, the rest of the drivetrain does not.

Muc Off C3 Ceramic Dry smells very nice.
Old 03-12-22, 01:19 PM
skom25

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Yep, but rest of drivetrain will be covered with lube from chain. It is easy to see this with UV and if needed, to clean excess.
Old 03-13-22, 08:49 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
For me, Ceramic Dry is best lube I’ve ever used. Just a drop on each roller, let sit for a few minutes, spin the crank a dozen times, wipe off many hours later. I get a quiet and relatively clean drivetrain for 200km. And I only apply to a clean chain. I did not like their wet lube at all.
200 km? I'm frustrated if I have to re-lube at less than 500 km.
Old 03-13-22, 10:49 AM
skom25

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Today I rode for the first time this year. Only 20 km but it is enough to have first impression.

Drivertrain is clean, but not clean as I expected. Amount of dirt is similar to Wax based lubes.

Cleaning is super easy. I had some dark residue on casette and chain. Dry tooth brush was enough to clean it. Maybe drivetrain does not look as new, but is much, much cleaner comparing to "standard" lubes.

Drivetrain feels super smooth. I had many new drivetrains previously and first kilometers always felt "harsh". Now it is much better.

I hope that it will last at least for 100 km.
Old 03-13-22, 08:52 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdknox1
A common mistake made is not rinsing the chain thoroughly after cleaning with solvent or degreaser. Thoroughly rinsing the chain with water and drying it is essential before applying lube. Otherwise the lubricant will not adhere well to the surface of the chain.
DO I understand you are advocating rinsing a carbon steel chain cleaned with OMS with water prior to applying a lube allowing oxidation to begin and maybe accelerate the drying with heat to accelerate the oxidation process?
Old 03-17-22, 07:59 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
I personally didn't find Muc Off Dry to be very good.

I tried it out about a year ago for dry conditions and the trainer upon recommendation from my LBS. I found that I had to relube at least once a week since the drivetrain would get noisy; I was averaging around 80-90 miles/wk at that time. I ended up having to replace a chain the same year after 1500 miles.

It does stay remarkably clean however any moisture or water takes off the lube fast.
Old 03-17-22, 08:23 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by oris
I found that I had to relube at least once a week since the drivetrain would get noisy
That's normal for all dry lubes, they do have to be re-applied often.

Originally Posted by oris
It does stay remarkably clean however any moisture or water takes off the lube fast.
That's what it takes to have a clean always shiny looking chain.

I never use dry lube on any clients' bikes unless I am told to because they can DIY on their own.