Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are bike shoes really necessary?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are bike shoes really necessary?

Old 04-24-22, 12:37 PM
Chickenwings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
So....I got thinking about this today and searched for and found this thread which was very good reading. I think I'm going to try a cheap pair of shoes as recommended earler and see how that goes. I'm not a power biker - hell I'm hardly a biker. I ride for fitness with my longest rides being about an hour at about 14 mph but what' I've noticed is that I'm starting to poke my big toe through the court shoes I've been using for biking. My thinking is that bike shoes might be a bit tougher in that area!
Old 04-24-22, 02:43 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Wow! This discussion has been asleep since 2004. ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT!
Carry on.
Shoes that restrict toe poke-through are a good thing.
Old 04-24-22, 03:23 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I know this is a zombie thread, but I'll bite....I started cycling in 2007, it's 2022. I have ridden many thousands of miles in the last 15 years and I still haven't purchased cycling specific shoes....That right there should tell you if cycling shoes are a necessity or not. Nothing to do with the cost because majority of my non-cycling shoes and boots are more expensive than cycling specific shoes.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-24-22, 04:00 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
This may be a zombie, but it may help many people by coming back to life.

It's not toe poke that bothers me - it's pain on the soles of my feet. Bike shoes are stiffer than sneakers or running or walking shoes, for example, and that protects the foot from too much pressure from the pedal.

When I used quill pedals and sneakers, my limit was about 20 miles; with quills and touring or road shoes, I did centuries without foot pain. When I used SPDs and Bontrager low end shoes, it was about 25 miles before hot spots made me wish I were at home. I now ride pinned flats, and I've always used Five Ten Freeriders without pain, until I get tired, at which point I feel pain all over because my riding form, such as it is, deteriorates.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 04-24-22, 04:04 PM
Chickenwings

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 56 Posts
Thanks guys, THAT'S exactly why I resurrected this instead of starting a new thread. Besides, I'm old and I like nostalgia..........
Old 04-24-22, 04:09 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
It's not toe poke that bothers me - it's pain on the soles of my feet. Bike shoes are stiffer than sneakers or running or walking shoes, for example, and that protects the foot from too much pressure from the pedal.

When I used quill pedals and sneakers, my limit was about 20 miles; with quills and touring or road shoes, I did centuries without foot pain. When I used SPDs and Bontrager low end shoes, it was about 25 miles before hot spots made me wish I were at home. I now ride pinned flats, and I've always used Five Ten Freeriders without pain, until I get tired, at which point I feel pain all over because my riding form, such as it is, deteriorates.
Wind chill more than flex became an issue for my usual trail running type sneakers this winter, but I lucked out in scoring some closeout store brand low top hiking shoes that were nominally waterproof which seemed a big improvement over the intentionally breathable sneaker tops. Liked them so much I went back and got another pair sized for single socks thinking they'd be useful in summer rides when the weather looked iffy.

Ironically they're stiff enough that they're really not very nice for walking more than a couple of miles, but for the same reason they make great shoes for pushing pedals. And I think I paid about $34 a pair. Have worn them for up to an 87 mile day so far and no doubt they'll suit a century on either the bike or my unicycle, the latter being one of the reasons I have little interest in clipping in (!)

Last edited by UniChris; 04-25-22 at 12:09 PM.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 04-25-22, 02:43 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by becnal
Are bike shoes really worth the added expense, or are they just a way for some companies to make money? I've never tried any, so I'm asking for your learned opinions.

Thanks!

Lance
ALL shoes are just a way for some companies to make money. Bike shoes are definitely worth it if you do a lot of biking. I would suggest trying some.

Scratch that, another zombie thread!
Old 04-25-22, 02:48 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4274 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I know this is a zombie thread, but I'll bite....I started cycling in 2007, it's 2022. I have ridden many thousands of miles in the last 15 years and I still haven't purchased cycling specific shoes....That right there should tell you if cycling shoes are a necessity or not. Nothing to do with the cost because majority of my non-cycling shoes and boots are more expensive than cycling specific shoes.
All that tells us is that you know squat about cycling shoes.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-25-22, 03:01 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
to deter unwanted people from joyriding the road bicycle, bike-clipless shoes are necessary. The last person that wanted to "have a test ride" of any bicycle I have was never, ever since installing the clipless pedals.
Old 04-25-22, 03:15 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 87 Posts
It seems like your still in the denial phase of cycling. No I don't need spandex, no I don't race fit tops, no I don't need cycling shoes. Technically no you don't need them, but if you want to take your performance up a notch and become more efficient than yeah clipless pedals and shoes makes a lot of sense and frankly are a pretty good investment as long as your feet aren't growing anymore since you can move your pedals from bike to bike and biking shoes really don't ware out like walking shoes do, so you could in theory have cycling shoes for years upon year and just need to changeout your cleats.
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 04-25-22, 03:25 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
I grew up with flat pedals and due to an injury I really can’t afford to crash while being unable to clip out. This is a real factor, having the bike attached to your foot can make you safer as in your foot won’t slip, but it can make a catastrophic crash worse. People kept on telling me to go clipless, and even gifted me a set of pedals and cleats, and yeah they are nice. Being able to pull up can help you focus on spinning nice circles. Also they keep your foot in the correct position if for instance you got a bike fit When sprinting, especially up a hill, you can get some more watts out of the clipless system, but I bet on a TT of rolling hills/flats the difference would be negligible.

I bet GCN set up some contrived test of this haha.

also maybe this is BS but I feel like not having your feet attached to your pedals can help in something like a chain drop, or even a pedal strike on the ground. My foot has slipped off the pedal (especially during chain drops) and it’s never been an issue, and I’ve talked to people who have crashed while dropping a chain when sprinting. I bought a nice pair of stiff mountain bike shoes that don’t have clips, they are a bit better than my sneakers but nothing game changing. Toe cages are annoying for me to get in and out of but maybe I just suck at using them, I run platform pedals on all bikes.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 04-25-22 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-25-22, 03:43 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I had many, many years or riding with toe clips and straps. The vast majority of those years were with dedicated cycling shoes, sometimes using slotted cleats, but more times without the slotted cleats. I spent more recent years using SPD cleated roadish-looking black MTB shoes that were great for riding and walking. Now I am back to toe clips and straps or platforms without clips. I was never a racer, but did like retention systems when I used them.

The single common requirement for me has always been the stiffness of the sole of the shoe for foot comfort. The various retention systems have advantages definitely, especially if you pull up and over on the pedaling, but for me the only constant in all the cycling shoes was the feature of a stiff sole. My favorite shoes were my ancient Avocet touring shoes from the early 1980s with shallow grooves in the sole for retention if using toe clips, and my sub-$100 Shimano SPD mountain shoes. Both were stiff and yet very walkable. In fact the Shimano SPD shoes were the first cycling shoes that I did not remove immediately after getting off the bike at the end of the ride. They were that comfortable. Now I am using MKS Sylvan Gordito pedals with no retention and Shimano flat pedal gravity shoes bought because they are lace-up shoes and will work with toe-clips if I want. I find those shoes have an almost identical feel and comfort as the Shimano MTB shoes. (Note: I have wide feet and have found the Shimano shoes to be pretty wide-foot friendly, but YMMV.)

In a nutshell, in terms of advancing the enjoyability of cycling, the two best buys I made were good shorts and good stiff shoes. Both were really, "why did I wait so long?" moments.

Troul in Post #59 does have a very good point. It also applies for toeclips and straps too as the average opportunist snatch and ride thief is not usually wearing clipless shoes, and with toe clips and straps the entry and scraping of the clips as they are hanging down is a possible deterrent, however minimal.

Last edited by Bill in VA; 04-25-22 at 03:49 PM.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 04-25-22, 03:49 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Comfort and avoiding workout-related injury is the #1 reason to wear bike shoes when riding a bike.

The same thing applies to flat pedals too. Get flat pedal shoes for that.
Old 04-25-22, 03:59 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
Comfort and avoiding workout-related injury is the #1 reason to wear bike shoes when riding a bike.
Was reflecting back to when I would experience those infamous leg cramps that we all have theories & remedies for combating...

Those cramps have subdued (mostly gone away) once going 100% clipless. I attribute that due to the lessening chances of shuffling the feet around & changing the muscle usage. whether you pigeon toe, try to keep it straight line, or kankle out the foot position, until you can maintain a consistent foot position at the pedals, you'll always be turning on & off which leg muscles your ride will require for effort. Keep it steady to isolate the muscles group.
Old 04-25-22, 05:04 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Thanks for all the input folks. I do lots of cross-europe riding (I live in Germany). I am looking at getting the Lake MX 155. They don't look goofy while off the bike. Does anyone have experience with these? Are the good for long tours with a lot of off-bike as well?

What are clips and cleats and straps and platforms???
I don't do long distances but I had a pair of Lake shoes 15 or so years ago that i really liked because it worked well with both clipless and flat pedals and was easy to walk in. They also lasted a long time. Also had a pair of Lakes very similar to the ones you refer to that i had to trash because they were very uncomfortable. I haven't used clipless pedals for a few years now and don't think i ever will after being in an accident with a car. I have a pair of basic five-tens on the way, hope they will serve as well as my first pair of Lakes.
Old 04-25-22, 06:03 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 347 Posts
In my youth I used Cinelli block cleats on Addidas Eddy Merckx shoes. Talk about being locked into the pedals. And I used Binda Extra toe-straps. Replaced the toe straps about once a month because they didnt hold firm anymore. I was obsessed with the most solid attachment of my feet to pedals.
Now as an old dino rider I use MTB shoes but no cleat attachment. Just ride my Atom, Union, Lyotard rat trap pedals without clips, straps, cleats, nadda. Still do rides with some fast pacelines. I like being unattached and able to move my feet about on the pedals.
Old 04-25-22, 06:44 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
The stiffer bottom helps. I have ridden with clipless, with toe clips, and cleats old school, with flats. It depends on what type of riding You do?
I'm going to try a regular cycling shoe with just a mini-clip and see how I like that. I like the idea of at least having your foot in the right position , which is the ball of your foot centered with the pedal spindle.
Old 04-25-22, 07:25 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Weird flex, but okay.....

I mean, my Ariat rigging boots and my Brooks Cadence running shoes cost more than my Pearl Izumis but they'd be pretty crap to wear as cycling shoes. I wouldn't want to run a marathon in my P-I's nor would I dream of wearing my Brooks on deck at work.
My Doc Martens are actually pretty good for in-town errand running and other short rides, but I wouldn't want to grind out a mountain century in them, either.
I have different footwear that's better suited to different jobs and conditions, just like I have multiple, different kinds of bikes for different kinds of rides; otherwise, all my bikes would be steel-framed single-speeds.
Old 04-25-22, 07:42 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
I bought a pair to try last year. Previously I was riding MKS Urban pedals and straps. My thoughts:

I bought some used 2 sided pedals from my local CL. SPD on on side flat on the other. Then I went to REI and found a set of shoes that fit in their returned goods section. Start out with 1 foot clipped in and the other on the flat side. Ride around and practice clipping the foot in and out. Switch feet. Rinse and repeat. Do this until you become comfortable clipping in and out. Go for some real rides this way. Eventually it will become 2nd nature.

As for the before and after? Not that much of a difference. The clipless smoothed out my pedal stroke some. Less pushing down and more circular motion. Not pulling up, though. More comfort and less pressure on the soles of the feet. Beyond that, not much else. It didn't suddenly make me a climber. It's enough of a difference though, to make me stay with them on a bike or two.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-25-22, 09:05 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Are bike shoes really worth the added expense, or are they just a way for some companies to make money? I've never tried any, so I'm asking for your learned opinions.

Thanks!

Lance
They are if you’re serious about riding faster, longer. My last pair (3yrs ago) cost me $400. To put that in perspective my first Bianchi road bike cost me $600 in 1984. My Marisi all leather bike shoes for that bike cost me $125 and I was skeptical but once I got clipped in and got spinning 110 up a hill, I was hooked!

Now if you’re not going to use them as designed, no, they aren’t worth it, but if you want to go faster, longer they are a must!
Old 04-25-22, 09:28 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge

The same thing applies to flat pedals too. Get flat pedal shoes for that.
I wore sandals with flat-pedals today. I may never be able to walk properly again. For some reason it is all in my left leg.
Old 04-25-22, 09:35 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Bicycle shoes are only necessary if your pedals require them. I have rubber-block pedals on all of my bicycles because I prefer minimalist footwear that have mostly smooth tread pattern.

I do 50-mile rides with extremely flexible shoes/sandals without experiencing any fatigue in my feet.

It's all about what you're accustomed to.

Last edited by Nyah; 04-25-22 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-25-22, 09:50 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
May be a better question is are any shoes worth the money. Brand name shoes seem to be starting at 80 to 100 USD and that's just regular old shoes. Bike shoes even more. But then again bike specific shoes have never been cheap.

Even my ChiCom knock off Indoor Soccer Turf shoes are going for more than 50 USD... Ha

I use Rat Traps and prefer Warmart flat soled "Indoor Soccer" shoes. They are light weight, have fair support, and are not to bad if I gotta walk home with bike in tow...
Old 04-26-22, 02:25 AM
SteveInConverse

Bikes: Trek

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Thanks!

Lance
I'm late to the party here but to me, I felt I needed (mountain biking shoes) them to help protect my feet as I have neuropathy and worry about injuring my feet.
Old 04-26-22, 05:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
It seems like your still in the denial phase of cycling. No I don't need spandex, no I don't race fit tops, no I don't need cycling shoes. Technically no you don't need them, but if you want to take your performance up a notch and become more efficient than yeah clipless pedals and shoes makes a lot of sense and frankly are a pretty good investment as long as your feet aren't growing anymore since you can move your pedals from bike to bike and biking shoes really don't ware out like walking shoes do, so you could in theory have cycling shoes for years upon year and just need to changeout your cleats.

Some of us do some pretty serious long-distance riding staying in that "denial phase."

I've ridden tens of thousands of miles in flat-soled New Balance sneakers as they best fit my terrible feet. I rode 178 miles that way in the last 3 days. I made the mistake of buying cycling specific shoes once, and they were awful for my feet (5 10s, btw). Telling other people what they need in footwear is ridiculous. People's feet vary way too much to identify a "normal".
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.