Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying an off-the-shelf gravel bike vs. vintage MTB conversion?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying an off-the-shelf gravel bike vs. vintage MTB conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-22, 09:31 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by m.c.
I want a mountain bike frame to do something similar. I want to be able to fit the 2.3" wide Rene herse tires and will probably use similar handlebars.
Interestingly enough, the '89 Trek 970 doesn't fit big tires, like the '93 930 or the Rockhopper do. The Maxxis Ikons (2.2) that I have on my 930 won't fit on the 970, for example. MTB geometry evolved from the late eighties into the early nineties and not all of the early ones will fit fat tires. Just be aware.

If you mean similar handlebars to my Soma Oxfords, I really like them more than I thought I would. That 970 of mine has had a lot of different handlebar configurations - flat bars, butterfly bars, drop bars, and now these which I think I'm going to stick with on this bike. Here's a view of the cockpit. I like that I can ride upright and relaxed (almost like a cruiser), but then drop into a more weight-forward position if the road starts getting dicey. With your hands right there where the brake levers are, you have great control - sort of like dirt drops. I like friction shifting so that makes a lot of these handlebar swaps a lot easier. I think you could use your current MTB controls on these. If I wanted indexed shifting I could just throw on a set of trigger shifters instead of the bar-ends.

Old 07-16-22, 09:45 AM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Interestingly enough, the '89 Trek 970 doesn't fit big tires, like the '93 930 or the Rockhopper do. The Maxxis Ikons (2.2) that I have on my 930 won't fit on the 970, for example. MTB geometry evolved from the late eighties into the early nineties and not all of the early ones will fit fat tires. Just be aware.

If you mean similar handlebars to my Soma Oxfords, I really like them more than I thought I would. That 970 of mine has had a lot of different handlebar configurations - flat bars, butterfly bars, drop bars, and now these which I think I'm going to stick with on this bike. Here's a view of the cockpit. I like that I can ride upright and relaxed (almost like a cruiser), but then drop into a more weight-forward position if the road starts getting dicey. With your hands right there where the brake levers are, you have great control - sort of like dirt drops. I like friction shifting so that makes a lot of these handlebar swaps a lot easier. I think you could use your current MTB controls on these. If I wanted indexed shifting I could just throw on a set of trigger shifters instead of the bar-ends.

I think Id like those.

I don't know what frame to get. I've wanted a stumpjumper for years but the prices on the frames have gotten higher than I want to pay. I want wide tires so I'll have to check the clearances.
Old 07-16-22, 09:53 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by m.c.
I think Id like those.

I don't know what frame to get. I've wanted a stumpjumper for years but the prices on the frames have gotten higher than I want to pay. I want wide tires so I'll have to check the clearances.
Instead of a Stumpjumper, look for a Rockhopper. Those are also full DB chromoly frames and forks, and are a very nice riding frame. Also the early to mid Trek Singletracks are superb. Both of those come up quite often on Craigslist or FB Marketplace, and don't command outrageous prices. There are others of course.
Old 07-16-22, 09:54 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts

Jeff,

Great job on the 970. I like the flexibility you have in riding position with those bars.
Likes For frogman:
Old 07-16-22, 10:01 AM
m.c. 

Instead of a Stumpjumper, look for a Rockhopper. Those are also full DB chromoly frames and forks, and are a very nice riding frame. Also the early to mid Trek Singletracks are superb. Both of those come up quite often on Craigslist or FB Marketplace, and don't command outrageous prices. There are others of course.
Ok, Thanks. I'll keep those in mind.
Old 07-16-22, 01:43 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Here’s an example of a late 80’s RockHopper. Note that the seat is moved forward to match the BB setback of my road bike.

The picture is updated to show the 120mm stem I installed. This frame has no trouble clearing 26x2.2” tires.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 07-19-22 at 04:15 PM.
Likes For ofajen:
Old 07-16-22, 11:46 PM
av1

Bikes: 1994 Specialized rockhopper comp , 1994 Scott Boulder Tange tubing, 1993 Bianchi 26inch tourer converted to drop bar with 28mm /1.1/ road tires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 13 Posts
There is plenty of good info re. 90s mtb bike conversion here on the forum. If you have the parts or know exactly what you are looking for the cost may be lower than a new bike and the converted bike is quite versatile fun bike to ride either from a skinny 1.1 road tires to a 2'' mtb tires and everything in between. Here are my both 94s mid range Scott and Specialized bikes. A new bike? Maybe if i run out of decent parts ,tires etc.

Last edited by av1; 07-17-22 at 12:14 AM.
Likes For av1:
Old 07-17-22, 07:28 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Or you cold save a lot of money if you just painted the words "gravel grinder" on the top tube of your mountain bike.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 07-17-22, 03:42 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
It all depends on what you want the bike to do and your skill level. Peter Stetina has won big gravel races on a stock Madone, but for mortals a more purpose built machine is probably a better choice.
To me, the purpose of a "gravel bike" is to allow reasonable speed on the road along with reasonable capability in the dirt. If I was staying in the dirt I would just stick with a mountain bike, unless it was just smooth dirt roads. In the case if dirt roads and mild trails, literally anything will work, especially if you don't care about speed.

I've been on a number of rides with people on nice gravel bikes while I was on my mtb. Unless it's really rough or sandy they easily drop me. A lightweight XC bike would be close in off road performance but flat bars suck on the road, IMHO.

Here is my friend's Rocky Mountain gravel bike with 27.5 wheels.

Here I am trying to stay with a friend who is on a cf gravel bike. He accelerated away from me on the little climb.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-17-22, 08:52 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I want to build a franken-gravel-bike using a 90's/00's trek mountain or hybrid as a starting point. The multitracks are great and have some rad paint jobs.

I don't want to do it because it would be better than a store bought gravel bike... I want to do it because I think they're badass. It would likely see use as a commuter more than anything else for me.
Old 07-18-22, 12:21 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
It all depends on what you want the bike to do and your skill level. Peter Stetina has won big gravel races on a stock Madone, but for mortals a more purpose built machine is probably a better choice.
To me, the purpose of a "gravel bike" is to allow reasonable speed on the road along with reasonable capability in the dirt. If I was staying in the dirt I would just stick with a mountain bike, unless it was just smooth dirt roads. In the case if dirt roads and mild trails, literally anything will work, especially if you don't care about speed.

I've been on a number of rides with people on nice gravel bikes while I was on my mtb. Unless it's really rough or sandy they easily drop me. A lightweight XC bike would be close in off road performance but flat bars suck on the road, IMHO.

Here I am trying to stay with a friend who is on a cf gravel bike. He accelerated away from me on the little climb.
Not only weight, but the big thing I notice when riding "gravel" rides with MTB'ers is the frontal area from the wide handlebars and hand position. That said, they don't generally have any trouble keeping up with me!
Likes For Camilo:
Old 07-18-22, 07:37 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Camilo
Not only weight, but the big thing I notice when riding "gravel" rides with MTB'ers is the frontal area from the wide handlebars and hand position. That said, they don't generally have any trouble keeping up with me!
That's why I said flat bars suck on the road. If there's a road section the drop bar bikes have an advantage and it's a huge advantage if they're hammering or it's a headwind.
Modern XC bikes are available below 25 pounds, even around 21 pounds for a hardtail, if you have the $$$.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-18-22, 07:44 AM
big john

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
I want to build a franken-gravel-bike using a 90's/00's trek mountain or hybrid as a starting point. The multitracks are great and have some rad paint jobs.

I don't want to do it because it would be better than a store bought gravel bike... I want to do it because I think they're badass. It would likely see use as a commuter more than anything else for me.
The steel frames are better than the aluminum ones. I had a Trek 7000 something aluminum rigid mtb. I rode it for a few years and it would rattle your teeth loose on rough ground. It was truly awful on washboard, etc. I eventually put a short travel suspension fork on it which helped but I was very happy to get rid of it. It would have been fine on the street, of course. It was about 28 pounds fully rigid with fairly light 2.3 tires.
Old 07-18-22, 09:50 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts

early / mid 90's Gary Fisher bikes / steel frames are another option

early 90's Schwinn Paramounts also ... TIG'd and lugged ... the lugged steel frames were especially sweet
Old 07-18-22, 09:53 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Are 7 spd 'brifters' available ?

( Tourney 3x7 ? )

Last edited by t2p; 07-18-22 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-18-22, 11:07 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Yup, you can get Shimano Tourney today in a 3x7 brifter. Microshift has made a 3x7 brifter set for at least a few years.

Back in the day, if you wanted a 3x7 brifter, your options were pretty much to limited to Sora & RSX in the Shimano line. More options now.
Old 07-18-22, 12:19 PM
m.c. 

Originally Posted by t2p

early 90's Schwinn Paramounts also ... TIG'd and lugged ... the lugged steel frames were especially sweet
Ive seen the paramount mountain bikes but recently came across something called a Paramountain

I wouldn't mind finding a red white and blue paramount mountain bike frame, I've got the road frame.
Old 07-18-22, 12:20 PM
m.c. 

Originally Posted by t2p
Are 7 spd 'brifters' available ?

( Tourney 3x7 ? )
There are some on amazon right now, Shimano, I forgot the line, I almost bought them. I think they may be a 3 initial name.

edit: they are tourney. I think I’ve looked at so many parts lately they’ve all run together in my head.

Last edited by m.c.; 07-18-22 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-18-22, 05:03 PM
big john

Originally Posted by t2p

Paramount Design Group. A real Paramount mtb would be pretty sweet.
I wanted a Hoo Koo E Koo back in the day.

Last edited by big john; 07-18-22 at 05:08 PM.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-18-22, 08:15 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
I was going to convert a 90's MTB to a "gravel bike" but finally just ended up buying a proper one.

Problem is, I'm not willing to lock up my "nice" "new" bike at the store, and having a properly fit bike made me realize how painfully unfit my comfort-frame bargain-find utility bike is.

So now I'm back to looking for a 90's MTB for utility and winter use, only unsure if I'm going to actually put drops on it, or just use it around town - probably initially the first.

Definitely looking for one of the minority of 700c ones though, as I want tire interchangeability with my main bike - especially if I ever buy some studded winter tires. Mostly I think I'd only use them on the "bad" bike because that's what I'd be willing to ride on salted roads, but if I'm going to spend that kind of money I'd want them in a size that in theory I could use on my good bike for some sort of adventure.
Old 07-18-22, 09:51 PM
t2p

Originally Posted by big john

you're a big guy - and that flat handlebar still looks super wide

the drop bars with the funky angled drops on the gravel bike don't appear to be comfortable - ? - but I've never tried them ... maybe they are (?)
Old 07-18-22, 09:56 PM
t2p

back in the day - John Tomac (father of pro motocross racer Eli Tomac) - raced off road with drop bars
Old 07-18-22, 10:15 PM
big john

Originally Posted by t2p
you're a big guy - and that flat handlebar still looks super wide

the drop bars with the funky angled drops on the gravel bike don't appear to be comfortable - ? - but I've never tried them ... maybe they are (?)
Yeah, not big like I once was. The bar on that bike is 780mm wide which has been pretty common for trail and enduro bikes the last several years. Mountain bike geometry changed a lot starting around 2017-2018. Part of the change was wide bars with short stems, reduced offset forks, slacker head angles, and longer reach.

The handle bar on the gravel bike is actually a cyclo-cross design. I think it started with Bell Lap bars. The idea is your wrists/forearms don't get banged against the bar when you're on the drops and bouncing around. I borrowed a bike with a bar that was flared but not quite as much as the one in the picture. It was fine for the little time I spent on the bike.
Likes For big john:
Old 07-18-22, 10:20 PM
big john

Originally Posted by t2p
back in the day - John Tomac (father of pro motocross racer Eli Tomac) - raced off road with drop bars
So did Jaquie Phelan aka Alice B Toeclips.

Old 07-18-22, 11:46 PM
OmenGregg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The gravel bike will be more efficient, less rolling resistance, closer gear ratios, lighter.

The XC MTB will be a softer ride, more stable in rough/slippery conditions.

Either will be capable, basically what do you prefer: speed or stability?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.