Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Braking in the rain

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Braking in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-22, 05:49 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Braking in the rain

Last night I did one of my regular loops that was around 35 miles. Got stuck in some huge downpours, and my 105 rim brakes were basically useless. Had to squeeze the brakes as hard as possible to get any sort of braking. In dry weather, it works really well. What can I do to improve braking in the rain? There wasn't even rain in the forecast, so it's not like I could have avoided it.

Dave
Old 07-30-22, 05:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Get a bike with disc brakes?
Old 07-30-22, 06:28 AM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Get a bike with disc brakes?
Well there is that. I have a gravel bike with disc brakes I could use, but it's not as fast as my roadie. Was hoping maybe there's a brake pad better for rain use? Currently using 105 pads.

Dave
Old 07-30-22, 08:14 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Was hoping maybe there's a brake pad better for rain use? Currently using 105 pads.
Koolstop salmon pads. Best pads for wet conditions.

Kool Stop International - High Performance Bicycle Brake Pads Since 1977

Old 07-30-22, 09:28 AM
bonsai171

Originally Posted by terrymorse

Thanks, I'll have to try that.
Old 07-30-22, 09:36 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
When I ride my rim brake bikes in wet conditions, I anticipate poor performance so I slow down a bit and I give them a couple of pumps to squeegee off some water. And I know people think disks are the beginning of the end of bicycles as we know them, but I love my disk brake bike.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 07-30-22, 09:55 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse

Yes. Even their non-salmon pads are better than most. And there's the old trick - ride with your brakes lightly touching the rim. You've probably noticed the first rim rotation after you hit the brake, not much happens. Well, you can be doing that first rotation as you ride so as when it's time to brake, you've done that first rotation.

Also there is the lesson I heard when I started racing may years ago that still applies. When the going gets iffy, ride the drops. In the rain, I find I have far more braking strength from the dropouts than from the brake hoods. I was told to make my bikes fully rideable for long stretches in the dropouts and I still do that. From the drops I can squeeze the levers right to the handlebars (if that can happen with the caliper flex, cable/housing stretch and setup.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-30-22, 10:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
How old are your 105 brakes? Are they from vintage days? Then yes they are crap compared to other newer stuff. However the 105 5800 double pivot brakes I had never let me down in the rain. Sure there was that "oh ****" moment when you first put them on to stop, but after scrubbing off the wet, releasing the brakes then re-engaging them they were almost as good as when dry for me.

Perhaps you just need new pads if yours are several years old and have been in harsh environment.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-30-22, 10:38 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
With wet weather rim brakes just don't really work. Slow down or just get off the road and wait it out. Of course you can always take this attitude...

As to the OP: I got stuck in some heavy drizzle once. Only a few miles from home I decided to ride it in. There was just one small down hill four way intersection on the return. RATS... half way into the intersection I had no brakes! Of course I was ridding and old bike with hard pads on Universal side pulls with steel rims. And of course there were cars at the base of the hill. At the last minute I laid my bike down on the left side and used my pedal to dig into the asphalt and slow. The only injury suffered was a bent cottered crank arm and a pedal. I don't know if this would work on a modern day bike, but then again they have disks. I should have walked it in...

Last edited by zandoval; 07-30-22 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-31-22, 01:53 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Cut grooves in the brake pads. The grooves must be parallel to the brake pads / rims.

What the groove does is reduce contact patch area of the brake pad with the rim. The smaller contact patch increases contact patch pressure (obviously) which reduces chance of the brake pad "hydroplaning" on the wet rim.

This will allow the brake pad to grip the rim the first time. No special technique needed. The only side effect of this mod is your brake pad will wear a lot faster due to the much smaller contact patch.

This is the same reason why disc brake works in the wet is because of high contact pressure not because the disc rotor is so hot, it's always dry, nope. A disc brake still grips well even if the rotor is cold and wet.

The holes in a disc rotor isn't for improving grip in the wet but for venting hot gas during long descents. Car disc rotors often don't have holes in them but they will work so well even in the wet. It's all about contact pressure when dealing with wet conditions. You can also do the same with rim brakes by cutting grooves on the brake pads.

Last edited by koala logs; 07-31-22 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-31-22, 05:29 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Buy good pads and understand how to brake in the rain or Dremel your pads? I've been doing this wrong for 50 years.

Old 07-31-22, 06:07 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
With wet weather rim brakes just don't really work. Slow down or just get off the road and wait it out. Of course you can always take this attitude...
Good lord. How am I not dead then having ridden fully loaded bikes down mountains in rain, sleet and snow, among other things, with only rim brakes?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-31-22, 07:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
Cut grooves in the brake pads.
No. Just no.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 07-31-22, 07:17 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Good lord. How am I not dead then having ridden fully loaded bikes down mountains in rain, sleet and snow, among other things, with only rim brakes?
Pure luck.
Old 07-31-22, 08:35 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I had a bike where the rim brakes worked fine in normal conditions but had no power in the rain, was pretty weird. I think its because the pads were so old, it was a department store road bike from the 70s.
Old 07-31-22, 11:36 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I had a bike where the rim brakes worked fine in normal conditions but had no power in the rain, was pretty weird. I think its because the pads were so old, it was a department store road bike from the 70s.
This one time at band camp….
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-31-22, 11:39 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Koyote
No. Just no.
Wasn’t it ol’ cubewheels who was known for giving dangerous advice? Things that make you go “Hmmmm?”
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-31-22, 12:11 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
I had a bike where the rim brakes worked fine in normal conditions but had no power in the rain....
not weird at all with steel rims.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 07-31-22, 02:51 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Had something similar with my Bianchi from 2004, equipped with Ultegra 6500.

The NYC 5Boro Bike Tour in (I think) 2017 was done in a constant heavy drizzle, and my brakes were useless. Fresh salmon Koolstop pads weren't especially useful, even toed in to squeegee off the water. It took me a while to realize that my old cables (original since I purchased the bike in 2005) weren't doing me any favors, and had them redone. BAM - fresh cables and housing = much reduced friction, solid braking in dry, very adequate in wet.

If your cables are more than a few seasons old, it may be worth getting new ones. Dirt/grit/sand/moisture gets into the housing, and friction isn't far behind.

New brake pads could be good as well, but you could also try taking a bit of sandpaper to the surface of your current pads - don't sand down the pads, but rough up the surface just a bit, especially if the pads are looking glossy/glazed.

Lastly, it may be worth scrubbing down your rims with dish soap and an old dish scrubber every so often. After years of close contact with road grime and mechanical lubricants, they're bound to have picked up stuff. I'd only recommend this for alloy rims - not sure what the best way to clean carbon rims would be.
Old 07-31-22, 03:30 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
not sure what the best way to clean carbon rims would be.
I've been using ammonia and water on a soft cloth for my carbon rims for many years.

It seems to do the job. The rims are going strong, with no sign of braking surface wear.

Old 07-31-22, 04:42 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I ride disc and rim brake bikes. Yeah, the discs stop great. But, the rim brakes work well too - even with carbon wheels. In the rain, they're no where near as well as the discs. But they are definitely fine.

There are two things you have to pay attention to...
1. Get the right compound - I like SwissStop Prince pads and the Reynolds pads (for Reynolds wheels)
2. Pad maintenance. Seriously. It's a thing. Pads get glazed - a hard, slick surface. Check them occasionally. I use a rat tail (round) file and scuff them at about 45 degree angle. Don't reshape the pad - just get rid of that glaze.

^that^ should help... until all your bikes are disc.
Old 07-31-22, 04:47 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Old 07-31-22, 06:06 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
With good pads rim brakes work fine in the rain. I just did some 20% descents in the rain in Western NC with no problems
​​​as others have alluded, “squeeging
“ the water off is key. You just have to realize that you’re going to need to evacuate some water from the rim before you get much braking force.

So in wet, hilly conditions you need to anticipate the need to brake, and lightly apply the brakes to move the water before you actually need to brake.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Likes For merlinextraligh:
Old 07-31-22, 06:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,992 Times in 2,664 Posts
I would use SwissStop pads with the BXP compound ideally but KoolStop Salmons are also a great choice or one of their dual or triple compound pads. If it has "stop" in the name that is a good sign you are getting good pads.

Don't start cutting up your brake pads please.
Old 07-31-22, 07:31 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Before the age of disc popularity, a friend and I did a 2000’ decent averaging 6% on a racing tandem in an unforeseen downpour. Unfortunately we only had side pull brakes with Cool Stop red pads and no drag brake. By the time we finally got down after being lashed with rain the pads were ground down to 1/8” from the metal pins. The grit on the roadway also did a number on the rims. Hand cramps and shivering were a bonus. No commentary on how good or how bad pads are, just my adventure.

I now have two bikes with discs and two with pads. Guess which are ridden in the rain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.