Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

2022 race stories thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2022 race stories thread

Old 08-03-22, 11:26 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Nice results Radish_legs ! Upgrade coming soon?
Doubtful. These are the first crits in 3 years, and I would need some regional results to get a cat 2 upgrade. Norcal Cycling, in his video of me, didn't call me a sandbagger for no reason. LOL. Plus I'm old, and I think the wheels on this wagon are about to fall off.
Old 08-04-22, 03:54 PM
Radish_legs

Video Reenactment, because you know, when your gorpro doesn't work, that sucks.

Likes For Radish_legs:
Old 08-13-22, 12:45 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
John Davies Memorial RR - 50 mile RR on a rolling circuit, field around 50. 3/4.

I had one teammate in the race, and he's felt like he hasn't been able to ride enough this year, and maybe now getting starting to get better. We had this race today, another 3/4 next weekend (our club's race) and then Scottish national masters champs on the 28th.

I had great legs today and suprised myself with how often I could load up and go. I was off with one other very briefly on the 2nd lap and then got a 20-some second gap on the 4th or 5th lap of 7. On the last lap, on a tiny drag halfway through, a guy attacked, and a couple of minutes later I just rolled off the front; field must have been tired. I got 10 or 12 seconds on the field, and he stayed just up the road as we turned into a cross tailwind, headed for the home with maybe 1/3 of a lap to go. I was slightly gaining on him, and for while I couldn't see the field, and I thought I'd stick it for at least 2nd, but they put in a late surge and I was caught with a mile or 2. They swept him up too. After all that, my teammate, who's been feeling subpar, road that armchair to a W, so that was an awesome consolation. Me=12th.

In hindsight, I was going great and go in some really promising moves, including the last one solo. The fact that I was able to sort of mix it at the finish and get 12th indicates to me I should have gone harder when I was away. I should have tried to push 50 more watts for those 6 or 7 minutes and maybe gained another 5 or 10 seconds. That could have been the difference between the field digging in or figuring I'd flown the coop. I might have tied up completely, but nobody's writing home about 12th place.
Old 08-21-22, 06:02 PM
brian44

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 30 Posts
*Warning...track racing content*
I've had *ok* results this season. I missed the podium a handful of times, with most of my results coming from breakaways/lapping the field (I only race crits). Otherwise, my road season has been marred by crashes and bad luck. My track season started late, but I was able to swing a podium in the P1/2 omnium and the W in the match sprints this past weekend.

P1/2 Omnium: 3rd
4th in the scratch; 2nd in the snowball; 3rd elimination; 3rd points - 3rd overall

Our races have small fields (I think we had 8 or so in the P1/2 group), so the disparity in fitness is evident even in the P1/2 races. A kid from Milligan/Aevolo came out (those who know him will recognize him in the podium photo) and gave us the business. I'm a 36-year-old dude with limited training time...amongst many other physiological issues (insert excuses here ); I knew I wasn't competing with him, so I resigned to second or third, which I felt was a good tactic as I teeter more toward a sprinter's physiology than anything else. I just enjoyed seeing the Milligan/Aevolo kid's talent...super down-to-earth too.

P1/2 Match Sprints: 1st
Not much to say here. I put up my worst F200m this year, putting me in 2nd for qualifying. I did the sprint thing to win all of the marbles.
"It do be like that sometimes."
Shameless photo of my do-it-all track bike below:
Old 08-21-22, 07:02 PM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Congrats on the match sprint! That kid was strong -- couldn't tell if he was just strong or fast because he kept leaving everyone behind! Lol.
Likes For tobukog:
Old 08-22-22, 06:21 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Sorry to have missed you at the Sprints. I threw my back out last week, so I've been lying on the floor for the past 5 days. I'm not even going to be able to come down this weekend.
Old 08-22-22, 07:49 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 3,080 Times in 1,631 Posts
Is that Brody McDonald? He's from San Diego and I've raced with him more than a few times during his development. Good kid. It's been a season (or two) so at this point I think I'd be quite scared
Old 08-22-22, 08:57 AM
tobukog

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Is that Brody McDonald? He's from San Diego and I've raced with him more than a few times during his development. Good kid. It's been a season (or two) so at this point I think I'd be quite scared
It is. Really good kid. And I don't call him kid out of disrespect -- he's young enough to be my kid....
Likes For tobukog:
Old 08-30-22, 10:10 PM
Radish_legs

Brian44, we are on the same team. Except I am on the club team (cat 3 old fat masters).
Likes For Radish_legs:
Old 10-06-22, 09:06 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
Back dated vintage race report. Way back.

This was my first mass start race in 1980 - open public criterium (no license needed). I am the wheel sucker…nothing has changed. We got caught behind a crash and by the time we got going, we were in Offthebackistan where we stayed for the duration of the race. Some interesting points are the helmets, shoes, bikes and jerseys. I was dressed in wool. The helmet was one of the better protecting models of the time right before the first real Bell helmet. I rode a vintage SR Semi Pro all Japanese bike and components.

What has not changed over the years? Offthebackistan - barren and isolated.

Offthe

Last edited by Hermes; 10-06-22 at 09:52 AM.
Likes For Hermes: