Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

NON-DRIVE crank arm fell off mid-ride.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

NON-DRIVE crank arm fell off mid-ride.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-22, 09:40 AM
anotherhillyay

Bikes: 2021 TeamMachine ALR01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
UPDATE: So far, so good.

Once I got her home I rechecked the torque on the pinch bolts. Shimano recommends 9.9~14.9 Nm for the Hallowtech II. I set the torque wrench to 12Nm and got a little more than a 1/2 turn before engaging the click. I’m unsure of what that means as far as what the LBS torqued them to, maybe they err on the lower end of the range. After that, I cleaned up the grease prints they left on the frame, waxed the chain, and installed the saddle bag, lights, and head unit, getting her ready for a morning ride.

The morning ride was glorious.

I took it easy for the first 5 miles of my route, trying to get a feel for the new chainring set and to make sure I wasn’t going to end up stranded on the side of the road again. Once I got a good feeling that all was well I took it up a pair of hills that top out around 6%. Except for a brief moment where I needed to pop out of the saddle on the second climb, I didn’t notice much of a difference in effort. The downhill on my route was a different story. I cap out a few tenths below 40MPH on average but this time I managed to break 45MPH. I have to admit, I may have actually yahoo’d out loud. The rest of the ride was solid, as have been every ride since.
Just one thing still stings a bit.

While I was waiting for the part, I swung by the LBS to pick up the pedals I forgot to take off so I could install them on my back up. I asked the fellow who helped me if I would be getting back my original chainring set, giving me the option to swap it back later if I felt the need. He assured me it wouldn’t be a problem since the chain ring set wasn’t part of the warranty. I should have gotten that in writing. When I picked up my bike, the service manager reneged and said they wouldn’t be able to give me the original back. I mentioned what I had been told and left it with them to call Shimano and ask on my behalf. This past Sunday I got a voicemail from the service manager asking me how the new chainring set was working out and that he would have to send in the original chainring set as part of the warranty claim. I’m letting it go, I won’t waste any more of my time with these guys.

The new chainring set feels good. I’m happy my bike is still in one piece and I know a lot more about my bike than I did a month ago. Plus I found a LBS that really seems to want to go the extra mile for their customers. I’m not sure of the rules of calling out a LBS, so I’ll only say this. Their stores were recently acquired by Specialized and if you google bike shops in Denver, CO, you’ll definitely find the *SOURCE*.

Thanks again to all of you that took the time to reply and offer feedback. It made this whole process far more bearable.
Good riding,

anotherhillyay
Likes For anotherhillyay: