Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Sliced tyre on side wall, what to do?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-22, 11:12 AM
jxpowers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Howdy,
Just looking for some friendly advice on my tyres, as you can see below I must have rode over something that managed to slice my tyre open with the inner tube slightly poking out.
The tyres are GP5000, only had them for 4 months (around 500 miles), was hoping to get longer out of them, tread wear indicator is still visible.

I have a few questions.

​​​​​Could I still ride it as normal with my repair ?(3cm x 5cm tyre boot from leynze)

How dangerous would it be if I continued to ride with the repair and if so how long could I do it for?

Any tyre recommendations? Looking to go 30mm, mainly commuting, looking for something grippy for wet weather since I live in the UK.
Or should I just stick with the GP5000s?

1.5cm gash

1.5cm gash

Temporary fix with tyre boot

Last edited by jxpowers; 08-07-22 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-07-22, 11:27 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
It sucks to have happened on a relatively new tire but that’s life. I say immediately replace it and don’t give it a second though.
Old 08-07-22, 11:32 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
That's a fine temporary fix to slow-roll home, but that's not a permanent fix - get a new tire.

Some people seem to be more prone to sidewall damage, for whatever reason (I've never experienced it); if that includes you, you might want to look at something other than the GP5k which, along with its predecessors, has a bit of a reputation for being susceptible to sidewall cuts.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-07-22, 01:00 PM
jxpowers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
It sucks to have happened on a relatively new tire but that’s life. I say immediately replace it and don’t give it a second though.
Done and done, I went for the brand new Vittorias, hope they are good.
Old 08-07-22, 03:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Vittoria's are great tires too. But their sidewall isn't any better. I think the last sidewall cut like that that I had was in the last Vittoria tire I had on one bike. Luckily for me it was on it's last few miles anyhow. But even if it was new, I'd replace it without any thought of making it go further... other than to get me home.
Old 08-07-22, 04:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Vittoria's are great tires too. But their sidewall isn't any better. I think the last sidewall cut like that that I had was in the last Vittoria tire I had on one bike. Luckily for me it was on it's last few miles anyhow. But even if it was new, I'd replace it without any thought of making it go further... other than to get me home.
I assume though he's referring to the new Vittoria Corsa N.EXT tires.. which I doubt there's much knowledge of yet:
https://www.vittoria.com/us/en/tires...res/corsa-next
Old 08-07-22, 05:54 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I had the same thing happen to a GP5000 on it's first ride. Less than 25 miles on the tire and it was trashed. This was an expensive flat, trashed the tire and a Tubolito tube I had installed at the same time. Stuff happens.

Last edited by RGMN; 08-07-22 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-07-22, 06:12 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by jxpowers
Done and done
Good decision. That tyre was shot. The GP4000/5000 does "suffer" from a thinner, less protective sidewall. It's the price of low weight and a fast tyre. I wrecked a few when I lived in a more sharp-flint-prone area.

Looks like you hit something big and sharp though that likely would have wrecked most road tyres.