Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mislabeled? Perhaps?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Mislabeled? Perhaps?

Old 06-24-21, 10:04 AM
jo_lacs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Mislabeled? Perhaps?

I have been slowly putting back together a peugeot bretagne mixte that someone threw out a month ago. Today I noticed this. What do you think?
I was hoping to use some other pedals. I may not have a choice if I decide to stick with these cranks. Could they have just been mislabeled?
Old 06-24-21, 10:13 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
What makes you think they're mislabeled?
Old 06-24-21, 10:17 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,936 Times in 1,900 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
What makes you think they're mislabeled?
Right pedal on left C-Arm.
Old 06-24-21, 10:46 AM
jo_lacs

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
The drive side pedal wouldn't budge. I got the NDS pedal to move a little before I realized the situation. I think that if I force the pedals off, I would end up with a useless crankset. (Sigh.)
Old 06-24-21, 12:35 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Looks to me the L pedal is on the R c-arm?
Likes For epnnf:
Old 06-24-21, 03:58 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
Think of the commitment it took to get those in.
Old 06-24-21, 05:32 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Maybe R means Right thread, not Right pedal? This looks like something historic, antique, maybe the modern standard doesn't apply. Cranks could be more modern and the letter refers to modern standards... My CArms don't have L/R marking on them, only pedals and those don't have it on the axle, so it definitely refers to Right/Left pedal.

Right pedal should have Left thread, right? And vice versa.

The photo doesn't show which CArm is the DS/NDS

Last edited by vane171; 06-24-21 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-24-21, 05:39 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
Maybe R means Right thread, not Right pedal?
Looks like a Right v/s Left Threading thing again... Always a problem in old French bicycles.... Ha

They look great. I would polish them up and use them...
Old 06-24-21, 05:57 PM
jo_lacs

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Maybe R means Right thread, not Right pedal? This looks like something historic, antique, maybe the modern standard doesn't apply. Cranks could be more modern and the letter refers to modern standards... My CArms don't have L/R marking on them, only pedals and those don't have it on the axle, so it definitely refers to Right/Left pedal.

The photo doesn't show which CArm is the DS/NDS
Old 06-24-21, 06:01 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by jo_lacs
The drive side pedal wouldn't budge. I got the NDS pedal to move a little before I realized the situation. I think that if I force the pedals off, I would end up with a useless crankset. (Sigh.)
I'm with the others that it's the French way of being different. R=right hand threads, etc. Just remove them normally.
Old 06-24-21, 06:02 PM
jo_lacs

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
Think of the commitment it took to get those in.
I know, right?
Old 06-24-21, 06:30 PM
vane171

I have this bike (2007 make, with pedals new last year) around with pedals only on so they don't get lost and checked and DS pedal is marked R (not on the pedal axle but its body) and it has normal Right handed thread. I always thought that the idea behind the different threads on pedals was that they don't unscrew if the bearings get stiff.

But as it is, if the pedal bearings got stiff, the pedaling action would unscrew them. Now I don't know anymore why the bother with the opposite threading on the two sides.

Last edited by vane171; 06-24-21 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-24-21, 06:40 PM
jo_lacs

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Meh. It could be worse. It - was - after all, a freebie.
Old 06-24-21, 09:22 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I have this bike (2007 make, with pedals new last year) around with pedals only on so they don't get lost and checked and DS pedal is marked R (not on the pedal axle but its body) and it has normal Right handed thread. I always thought that the idea behind the different threads on pedals was that they don't unscrew if the bearings get stiff.

But as it is, if the pedal bearings got stiff, the pedaling action would unscrew them. Now I don't know anymore why the bother with the opposite threading on the two sides.
The theory has to do with the movement of the ball bearings on the pedal spindle. It's opposite the pedal rotation.
Old 06-24-21, 09:32 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
No, the right (drive side) pedal should have right-hand threads. The left (nds) pedal should be left-hand threaded.
Old 06-25-21, 12:00 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Well, you could do worse that get a magnifying glass to inspect the threads on the pedals and cranks on the non-pedal sides of the cranks.
Old 06-25-21, 01:04 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
What are the chances your pedals will be 14mm x 1.25mm threads?

Apparently possible to retap to standard 9/16.
Old 06-25-21, 06:12 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 403 Posts
Cross threading is one thing but what is suggested is effectively impossible. Soak with Kroil/JB Blaster/etc. and get them off. That said, I am often amazed by what well meaning folks can do..
Old 06-25-21, 07:05 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
So, I’m curious. What is/was the final outcome? I’m not so sure (based on the photos) if there was enough of the threading visible on the inside of the crankarm to determine left or right threads but I definitely would have scrutinized that area. My approach would have been the suggested application of penetrant oil followed by an attempt to remove the pedals in the “normal” fashion i.e. lefty-loosey on the drive side and the opposite on the non drive side.
I do realize that different cultures look at things in different ways but I’m having a hard time understanding a reality (even a French one) where pairing an item marked with an “R” to one marked with an “L” would make any sense whatsoever.
Let us know how this worked out.
Old 06-25-21, 11:44 AM
vane171

I do realize that different cultures look at things in different ways but I’m having a hard time understanding a reality (even a French one) where pairing an item marked with an “R” to one marked with an “L” would make any sense whatsoever.
Very likely, the pedals are much older than the cranks or, at the very least, are very different styles.

Originally Posted by HillRider
No, the right (drive side) pedal should have right-hand threads. The left (nds) pedal should be left-hand threaded.
Yes, I checked it and it is like you say. But that doesn't seem to make a sense. I always believed that right and left hand screws when it comes to pedals is to prevent them unscrewing when the pedal bearings get stiff.

Right foot pedal, DS one, would in this case of right handed thread get undone in forward pedaling action since that would tend to generate anticlockwise force that unscrews the right handed thread.
Old 06-25-21, 02:02 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
. I always believed that right and left hand screws when it comes to pedals is to prevent them unscrewing when the pedal bearings get stiff.
That's an old wives' tale. Another version says that if the bearings completely lock, they'll unscrew so as not to break your ankle, but even a really really really bad set of bearings wouldn't generate much torque on the spindle.
The correct reason is to keep the spindle from unscrewing due to precession, which is the very small movement of the spindle in the crank . There's a pretty good explanation on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession_(mechanical)

In order to avoid unscrewing, they're set up so that the precession results in tightening on both sides, which is why pedals can be such a bear to remove even if you don't crank them in tightly when you install them.
Old 06-26-21, 07:07 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I'm sure he figured it out by now but there is enough of thread visible that one can tell which way to turn to loosen the pedals.

My dyslexia somehow prevents me from having pedal turn direction burned into my memory. But looking at the thread pitch works everything for me
Old 06-28-21, 12:00 AM
jo_lacs

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I did inspect the small amount of crank thread visible opposite from the pedals on both ds and nds. They both look conventional (ds=right hand thread and nds=left hand thread), plus I have 2 other cranks labeled "S" that came off of 2 other peugeots also with conventional pedal hole threads. I cannot see any of the pedal spindle that may show thread direction. I do believe that both pedals had been improperly installed. I think that taking these old pedals off would strip the crank threads if they haven't already. For now, I'm leaving the pedals as-is in order to keep the crank useful.
I used to think that the "S" on the cranks meant spidel but after looking at some old catalogs online, the "S" apparently stands for solida.
Old 06-28-21, 12:09 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by jo_lacs
I did inspect the small amount of crank thread visible opposite from the pedals on both ds and nds. They both look conventional (ds=right hand thread and nds=left hand thread), plus I have 2 other cranks labeled "S" that came off of 2 other peugeots also with conventional pedal hole threads. I cannot see any of the pedal spindle that may show thread direction. I do believe that both pedals had been improperly installed. I think that taking these old pedals off would strip the crank threads if they haven't already. For now, I'm leaving the pedals as-is in order to keep the crank useful.
Seeing the threads on the pedals is less useful than seeing the threads in the cranks. Whatever the marking on the cranks, the marking L or R on the pedals is quite standard, so if the cranks have the correct thread direction you should be OK.
See if either pedal will loosen a bit.
Old 06-29-21, 12:32 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
There are enough threads on the inside of the crank to determine rotation direction.
Not the case here if that's a permanently fixed double, but every now and then I've come across a RH thread non-drive crank paired with a LH thread drive crank that's either without rings or a single. That's the typical configuration for a tandem captain's crank, timing ring on the left and no ring on the right.