Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Which brake lever?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Which brake lever?

Old 07-03-22, 10:10 AM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Which brake lever?

Decided I'm too old to run brakeless.. just want one for safety reasons. Going to run a 5800 105 caliper. Any recommendations on levers that'll go with the aesthetics of the bike? Bar is the Cinelli Valencia, it has a 24mm diameter. I was thinking Dia Compe Goldfinger or the Tech 99 w/ a shim. Thoughts?
Likes For ceelint:
Old 07-03-22, 07:42 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 763 Times in 431 Posts
I've got the Tech 99 and like it, because you can get all four fingers on it. I'm not a fan of one finger braking. I assume you will locate the lever at the end of the bar, and not at the middle next to the stem. If it were me, I'd get a 22.2mm bar, so that I could install some nice grips on it, instead of bar tape.

2014 Soma Rush

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie:
Old 07-03-22, 08:08 PM
geomiko

Bikes: Surly Steamroller 48/17 | Aventon Cordoba 48/15 | Cramerotti TVT Ultra 48/13 | 2016 State Bicycle Co. Black Label

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 40 Posts
I am a fan of one finger braking, and I did slam the lever all the way to the stem. Pretty janky, but worked well for me for a few thousand miles before I decided to go brakeless.

I love the Paul e-lever, it's pricey but the machining is great and it certainly adds some aesthetic internet points. I've also had good experiences with Avid FR-5 levers.

Sweet build and best of luck.
Old 07-03-22, 09:13 PM
ceelint
^that guy^

Bikes: '17 Wabi Classic, '17 Trek DS3, '12 S-Works Tarmac SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I've got the Tech 99 and like it, because you can get all four fingers on it. I'm not a fan of one finger braking. I assume you will locate the lever at the end of the bar, and not at the middle next to the stem. If it were me, I'd get a 22.2mm bar, so that I could install some nice grips on it, instead of bar tape.
Probably go with the Tech 99.. looks like a good length and profile... I have a Ritchey 10° flatbar that I switch out sometimes so it'll work with both.