Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling fashion faux pas?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling fashion faux pas?

Old 08-02-22, 04:19 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
It just never occurred to me to even try it.
It's funny how this info is so seldom shared, probably because it's such a risque subject. The problem with seats that have a lot of padding is that they cause extraneous movement and chafing which can build up to sores on longer rides. The important thing is that you're comfortable, so if you're happy with what you're doing, great. Some people can ride a double century in regular cargo shorts and a t-shirt. Others get saddle sores and chafed skin if they dare to get the wrong chamois and saddle for their 25 miler.
Old 08-02-22, 08:12 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
It's funny how this info is so seldom shared, probably because it's such a risque subject. The problem with seats that have a lot of padding is that they cause extraneous movement and chafing which can build up to sores on longer rides. The important thing is that you're comfortable, so if you're happy with what you're doing, great. Some people can ride a double century in regular cargo shorts and a t-shirt. Others get saddle sores and chafed skin if they dare to get the wrong chamois and saddle for their 25 miler.
Ya. With a decent gel seat and regular bike shorts, I have no problems. The pain that limits my ride is arthritis pain in my lower back and neck. And for me, a half century is about as long a ride as I care for even when I feel fine.
Old 08-02-22, 08:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
It’s lately become apparent that the worst faux pas in mountain biking this year will be to have the same rim diameter at both ends
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-05-22, 09:46 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
It’s lately become apparent that the worst faux pas in mountain biking this year will be to have the same rim diameter at both ends
Really? I thought the mullet fad was fading out.
Old 08-05-22, 10:41 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
It annoys me to see cycling eyewear under the helmet straps. Oh, the lost watts. Or when the bar tape does not match the saddle. And what is it with Boomers in ankle socks. Don't get me started on mismatched tires. And bearded old men on bents venturing out in public riding in sandals.
Old 08-05-22, 11:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Or when the bar tape does not match the saddle.
Or when the collar doesn't match the cuffs.
Old 08-05-22, 02:28 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
All of the women I ride with go commando under their cycling shorts
You seem to know this with metaphysical certitude. Does this mean you've checked, or that you don't ride with any women?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-05-22, 02:30 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2184 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 1,741 Posts
My wife decided to wear underwear with bike shorts on a ride at Crater Lake a couple of weeks ago, with completely predictable consequences. (I have no idea why, and yes she knows better.) Perhaps I should have done a spot-check before the ride.
Old 08-05-22, 02:58 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
I think most people with gel seats are either (1) low-mileage riders, or (2) have never tried a good saddle for more than a trip around the parking lot.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-05-22, 02:59 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
My wife decided to wear underwear with bike shorts on a ride at Crater Lake a couple of weeks ago, with completely predictable consequences. (I have no idea why, and yes she knows better.) Perhaps I should have done a spot-check before the ride.
Old 08-05-22, 03:34 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by ghostrider62
it annoys me to see cycling eyewear under the helmet straps. Oh, the lost watts. Or when the bar tape does not match the saddle. And what is it with boomers in ankle socks. Don't get me started on mismatched tires. And bearded old men on bents venturing out in public riding in sandals.
Old 08-05-22, 04:19 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
It is called sarcasm
Old 08-05-22, 04:52 PM
Camilo

It is called sarcasm
Uh, yeah, I get it, thus my little emoji.
Old 08-06-22, 10:12 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Koyote
I think most people with gel seats are either (1) low-mileage riders, or (2) have never tried a good saddle for more than a trip around the parking lot.
Absolutely agreed. With that in mind, I figure for those who aren’t suffering from some extreme discomfort or saddle sores, maybe what they don’t know won’t hurt them?

it’s too easy to think that more padding = more comfort. I’ve seen many riders go more and more and thicker and thicker until they finally realize it’s getting worse and worse. Then they finally try a quality saddle and are relieved.
Old 08-06-22, 02:40 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
It annoys me to see cycling eyewear under the helmet straps. Oh, the lost watts. Or when the bar tape does not match the saddle. And what is it with Boomers in ankle socks. Don't get me started on mismatched tires. And bearded old men on bents venturing out in public riding in sandals.
Being annoyed and if you are old enough, and have 79 cents, will get you a senior coffee at Mc Donalds.

Thats one great thing about being 84 no one expects you to worry about fashion. But then I never did. I always thot it was stupid and silly.

Last edited by rydabent; 08-07-22 at 09:11 AM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-06-22, 06:53 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Being annoyed and if you are old enough, and have 79 cents, will get you a senior coffee at Mc Donalds.
So, even after it was clarified that the post was sarcastic, you still can't figure it out?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-07-22, 12:08 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
You seem to know this with metaphysical certitude. Does this mean you've checked, or that you don't ride with any women?
I tried to find a gif of Mary showing Clark how you couldn’t see a panty line (Christmas Vacation movie) to reply to that post, but was unsuccessful.
Old 08-07-22, 12:52 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Absolutely agreed. With that in mind, I figure for those who aren’t suffering from some extreme discomfort or saddle sores, maybe what they don’t know won’t hurt them?

it’s too easy to think that more padding = more comfort. I’ve seen many riders go more and more and thicker and thicker until they finally realize it’s getting worse and worse. Then they finally try a quality saddle and are relieved.
I found the same thing with padded gloves; the more you do it, the less you find you need.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 08-07-22, 01:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
You care what others wear in terms of safety gear? Does this mean you think people who ride without helmets are wrong?
I would call them ill-informed or careless. But then I only had one friend ride without a helmet and smack her head against the pavement, go into a coma and when she finally woke up, was unable to return any normal semblance of life. But of course, that will never happen to you.

As the expression goes, “no helmet, nothing to lose”.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-07-22, 01:05 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Fell into that trap once with my bony butt. Bought a super squishy cutout saddle. The first hour was great but then it became horrible. It was moved to the mountain bike for short rides since I am out of the saddle most of the time. The road bike now has a lightly padded one and with the right shorts, multi-hour rides are no problemo.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-07-22, 01:53 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by rsbob
I would call them ill-informed or careless. But then I only had one friend ride without a helmet and smack her head against the pavement, go into a coma and when she finally woke up, was unable to return any normal semblance of life. But of course, that will never happen to you.

As the expression goes, “no helmet, nothing to lose”.
Yeah, you could say that if you wanted to be that kind of guy. But, again, this is an A&S topic so I won't go further.
Old 08-07-22, 08:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Yeah, you could say that if you wanted to be that kind of guy. But, again, this is an A&S topic so I won't go further.
Yes I am that kind of guy and having a father that has worked in the ER taking care of horrendous head injuries by people without helmets, I will happily remain this way. He took me to an autopsy where a guy lost control on a corner and hit a light post. When his skull was opened with a bone saw, it drained out like red cream of wheat. Yup, I will remain this way. Best of luck to ya.

Old 08-07-22, 08:42 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by rsbob
Yes I am that kind of guy and having a father that has worked in the ER taking care of horrendous head injuries by people without helmets, I will happily remain this way. He took me to an autopsy where a guy lost control on a corner and hit a light post. When his skull was opened with a bone saw, it drained out like red cream of wheat. Yup, I will remain this way. Best of luck to ya.
Take a hint - it belongs in A&S. There's even a dedicated helmet thread to keep helmet opinions out of every other topic. You could take your opinion there - as could I if I wanted to re-hash the same old S over and over.
Old 08-08-22, 07:53 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
The padded chamois is meant to absorb the sweat, underwear would have seams that can chafe on longer riders, and of course absorbs sweat, but most would still end up being absorbed by the chamois. So, wearing underwear does not allow one to necessarily get multiple wears out of before washing, unlike street clothes where one is not sweating. Wear, wash, repeat. If you'd like a suggestion of a budget friendly short on Amazon, I'd be happy to help.
Old 08-12-22, 10:18 AM
J_Chickles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gringomojado
At least he was not wearing a onesie

gm
that would be a skinsuit?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.