Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Kenda tires good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-22, 01:53 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I bought a used Roubaix not long ago. When I posted pics someone said it looked like the previous owner had tried to turn it into a gravel bike. I am guessing it’s the blow 700x28c Kenda Kwest tires, blue tires.
Are these tires more for gravel than road? Are they good, bad or just OK?
I looked them up and read several poor reviews, but I don’t believe every review I see good or bad. Since I will be riding exclusively on paved roads or trails would a 25mm road tire give a better ride?
Once the 100* weather lets up I am planning on riding further than loops around my neighborhood and don’t want cheap tires causing problems.
Kenda Kwest are road tires, not for riding through any particulates, unless that particulate is sealed, i.e. chip seal\black top. They come in various sizes, and are decent middle ground tires- not real grippy, and decent rolling resistance. I've had a few since they're usually like $15 each. They can puncture easy, they're light with a thin sidewall- so easy to remove from rim, they're generic tires, that can be found stock on some bikes. I wouldn't call them bad tires, just not great. They're round, so you won't lose much in handling, and they don't have that weird profile the Kenda 838s have. They're just not a real performance tire compared to like; a hookworm, or thickslick.

These two came off my ratrod, and oddly enough; I never got a flat with these.

One is 1.75 I think and the other is 2.50
Old 08-05-22, 02:07 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Did not matter. They suck at any pressure. Run them low and they are slow as molasses, run them high they are less slow but ride like crap.

These are just cheap, crappy tires with stiff sidewalls.

EDIT: I just realized the OP has 700 x 28 Kwests. Mine were 26 x 2.1. Maybe they use an entirely different type of casing and tread compound for the road tires. But I kinda doubt it.
I never had a problem with the Kwest, and back in the day I thought max psi was best and fastest, and ran them at 65psi. I don't think they use a different case/compound for the 700c tires, since they're for hybrids. Every 700c Kwest I ever saw was on a hybrid and no narrower than like 35mm, or never near as narrow as the 559 versions. The ones in my picture are new, bought like 4 years ago, and have a thin sidewall, the older ones did have a stiffer, thicker sidewall.
Old 08-05-22, 06:22 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
I never had a problem with the Kwest, and back in the day I thought max psi was best and fastest, and ran them at 65psi. I don't think they use a different case/compound for the 700c tires, since they're for hybrids. Every 700c Kwest I ever saw was on a hybrid and no narrower than like 35mm, or never near as narrow as the 559 versions. The ones in my picture are new, bought like 4 years ago, and have a thin sidewall, the older ones did have a stiffer, thicker sidewall.
I also ended up running them at high pressures because that is about all you can do with garden hose tires.

These were on my commuter bike.

I did not mind them terribly until I tried something better.

Since then, I’ve had a couple sets of Bontrager H2 (I think that is the model) and some Performance (as in the store) brand tires that were a much nicer ride.
Old 08-07-22, 02:56 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Over the last 20 years I've had 3 sets of Kenda tires, the first ones were Kwest, they didn't last long, and I got a lot of flats; my next pair came on a new bike I got in 2020 called Drumlins. At first, the Drumlins seemed ok, but then I started getting a lot of flats, not only that but they only lasted about 1,000 miles; but wait, there's more...they weighed 950 grams a piece! Not sure why they weighed that much, there wasn't much if any flat protection built in, the tread wore out very fast. Those were larger tires, but I then I had a pair of Kenda Kountach back in early 2000's, these were very lightweight, and paper-thin thread which I thought was going to be problematic, but they lasted about 4,000 miles, and I only had one flat.

So larger tires seem to suck from Kenda, but their road tires, if the ones I had were any example, are pretty good; not sure if the new version of those are any good.

Anyway, just telling you about my experiences.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 08-07-22, 06:57 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 177 Posts
I ran across a reference to Specialized Roubaix Pro tires. It caught my attention since that is what my bicycle is.
Are these good or is it just a marketing gimmick?
Old 08-08-22, 08:28 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Kendra Kwick were original equipment on my 2007 cross bike, 700x30c. I liked them and stuck with them because they were decent and cheap at about $12 if you looked for bargains and bought several when you spotted a good price.

Speed demons on the forum pointed out that they didn't have very good rolling resistance numbers, but that's moot to recreational/fitness riders like me. I notice they've doubled in price since I last bought some. I wouldn't buy them again unless they are the best value I could find. They're neither bad nor exceptionally good, but are decent tires that I feel safe with cornering at high speeds, and not particularly prone to flats. Good for pavement and gravel, as the center portion is fairly smooth but the outer edges have taller tread pattern to grip on rougher surfaces.
Old 08-08-22, 09:10 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I was not able to wear a set out . They got deformed and I had to throw them away. I now run Panaracer and have for quite a while. They don’t deform . The Panaracer is only a few dollars more. The Kenda tires I ran felt ok for about 6 months of light riding but then developed a weird deformity in both tires at the same time. I only ran about 90% of max tire pressure on the rear and about 80% on the front.
Ditto
Old 08-08-22, 11:28 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Any generalizations about Kenda (or most other major tire brands) based on a few models is going to be suspect..

Kenda makes some very good tires (particularly MTB) and also some garbage.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-12-22, 12:24 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 607 Posts
I've had nothing but good experiences with Kenda Kwests on an old rigid MTB and a couple hybrids. I absolutley love the way this one rides on chip and oil or crushed limestone with them.

I've had 3 different K35's however do this......
Old 08-12-22, 03:14 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Rolla
If you want a “better ride” and can fit 28s I wouldn’t run 25s. I’m kind of “meh” on Kendas; not terrible, but not in my top 5.
Why are 28mm tires better than 25mm?
Are they just more comfortable? Wouldn’t the 25s be faster? Faster enough to make a real world difference?

Last edited by pepperbelly; 08-12-22 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-12-22, 03:19 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
why are 28mm tires better than 25mm?
Are they just more comfortable?
Yes.

Wouldn’t the 25s be faster?
Not in my experience.

Faster enough to make a real world difference?
Not in my experience.
Old 08-13-22, 08:49 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I've used some Kendas and they were OK for the price IMO.
Old 08-13-22, 10:02 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
28mm tires are more comfortable than 25mm tires and provide better handling and give you a much better ride quality especially over rougher pavement....Personally I prefer bigger tires and I don't ride anything smaller than a 32mm tire.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-13-22, 04:26 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 435 Posts
Are they just more comfortable? Wouldn’t the 25s be faster? Faster enough to make a real world difference?
depends...
but, i sortta remember your bike... from your Post/Thread - a 2008-9 ish Roubaix with Blue Tires ??? funny what stick in one's cabesa...
those bikes had fairly narrow chainstays... and for my Roubaix and Tarmacs, 28 width is a 'no go' - barely fit with prolly 1-2 mm clearance... But that's with HED wheels which have a 21 internal rim width...
Depending on your rims - 28 might just fit - but I'd make sure or expect they might not, after you get them...
... just sayin...
Ride On
Yuri
BTW, that was a good buy... how the bike workin?
EDIT: just saw that the prior Kendas were 28s, so those wheels should handle most 28s...

Last edited by cyclezen; 08-13-22 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-13-22, 09:12 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by cyclezen
depends...
but, i sortta remember your bike... from your Post/Thread - a 2008-9 ish Roubaix with Blue Tires ??? funny what stick in one's cabesa...
those bikes had fairly narrow chainstays... and for my Roubaix and Tarmacs, 28 width is a 'no go' - barely fit with prolly 1-2 mm clearance... But that's with HED wheels which have a 21 internal rim width...
Depending on your rims - 28 might just fit - but I'd make sure or expect they might not, after you get them...
... just sayin...
Ride On
Yuri
BTW, that was a good buy... how the bike workin?
EDIT: just saw that the prior Kendas were 28s, so those wheels should handle most 28s...
It rides really well. Some of the paved roads here in town are rough asphalt. It’s like the bike was made for this.
From what little research I can do-Specialized is no help with serial numbers, my bike is a 2012 model. That is from comparing pics and features I could find online.
The smurf tires are growing on me.
Old 08-23-22, 07:04 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
I ran across a reference to Specialized Roubaix Pro tires. It caught my attention since that is what my bicycle is.
Are these good or is it just a marketing gimmick?
I currently have those Spec tires on two of my road bikes, and I like them...BUT...I don't think they're worth the retail price, but I think that about a lot of tires on the market! I got mine on a sale, one tire for the regular price, and the other for half off, so at that price I bought them (back when they were $40 each, they're now $50). They handle good, but I don't have any twisting mountain roads to test them nor race on them to press their limits, they are lasting around 3,500 miles of non aggressive riding.

I don't think any tire is worth $60 plus, in fact I refuse to pay over $40 a tire. Why do I think that way? You can get a car tire for $120, are they telling us that two skinny road bike tires have more technology than a car tire? LMAO!! Bicycle tires, like a lot of things cycling related, is a rip off. They can sell us a brand new $15,000 CF wonder bike and some how that bike has more technology than a brand new $15,000 BMW F850 GS motorcycle? LMAO again and again.

I think one of the best overlooked brand of tire on the market is Panaracer Race D Evo, these cost around $31 and last a long time with good flat protection. There is a slew of good tires between $31 and $35, like the Vittoria Rubino Pro IV G2.0, and the Speed; Pirelli P Zero; Schwalbe One Performance Road tire; and the Goodyear Eagle F1. Also find end of the season sales on tires, you can usually find $60 or dollar tires for 40 to 60 percent off, those sales usually come in October, October will have the best selection, some go on sale after that till April but the pickings could be slim.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 08-24-22, 01:43 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I currently have those Spec tires on two of my road bikes, and I like them...BUT...I don't think they're worth the retail price, but I think that about a lot of tires on the market! I got mine on a sale, one tire for the regular price, and the other for half off, so at that price I bought them (back when they were $40 each, they're now $50). They handle good, but I don't have any twisting mountain roads to test them nor race on them to press their limits, they are lasting around 3,500 miles of non aggressive riding.

I don't think any tire is worth $60 plus, in fact I refuse to pay over $40 a tire. Why do I think that way? You can get a car tire for $120, are they telling us that two skinny road bike tires have more technology than a car tire? LMAO!! Bicycle tires, like a lot of things cycling related, is a rip off. They can sell us a brand new $15,000 CF wonder bike and some how that bike has more technology than a brand new $15,000 BMW F850 GS motorcycle? LMAO again and again.

I think one of the best overlooked brand of tire on the market is Panaracer Race D Evo, these cost around $31 and last a long time with good flat protection. There is a slew of good tires between $31 and $35, like the Vittoria Rubino Pro IV G2.0, and the Speed; Pirelli P Zero; Schwalbe One Performance Road tire; and the Goodyear Eagle F1. Also find end of the season sales on tires, you can usually find $60 or dollar tires for 40 to 60 percent off, those sales usually come in October, October will have the best selection, some go on sale after that till April but the pickings could be slim.
Thank you. I will watch forvthe sales snd pick up some to keep on hand.