Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Leaving your bike on your car-mounted bike rack?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Leaving your bike on your car-mounted bike rack?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-22, 09:16 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen

You need to live somewhere else.

Eventually, someone may very well get my bike. The more I travel, the more exposed it is, the greater the odds of eventuality. I live in a small community outside of Vegas so I don't have to deal with much of the typical riff-raff most city people deal with.

My bike rack is home made. I bought a couple of cheaper hitch mounted racks but they supported the bike by either the wheels or the cross tube. I wanted one that the wheels sit in, but those are on the pricey side. I don't have a lot of cash, but I do have steel and skill so I fabricated this one. Not impenetrable but somebody would have to work at it if they wanted to steal the bike and not destroy it in the process. (For the record, the bike that normally rides on the rack is a Trek Lexa)
You're taking steps to lock your bike up on your car while simultaneously telling other people they "need to live someplace else" if they're concerned about their bike being stolen off their car.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 08-05-22, 10:36 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
You're taking steps to lock your bike up on your car while simultaneously telling other people they "need to live someplace else" if they're concerned about their bike being stolen off their car.
Dude, sure I lock my bike up. I leave it on my rack all the time. But I'm not afraid it's going to get stolen while I run in to pay for gas. JHC, man. Pick nits somewhere else.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 08-05-22, 10:48 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
One other thing that might get you one day is backing down an inclined driveway or such is that you might drag the rack on the street. Possibly bending the both the rack and the bike's wheels. So just be aware!

You'd think the same would happen when you drive into that driveway, but it doesn't always. I guess angles of entry and departure and other stuff add up to differences.
Old 08-05-22, 11:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Back when I had summers off (4 of them in a row), I spent summers with my MTB (and often road bike) basically living on the back of my car. Many tens of thousands of miles going all over the country. I drove through every imaginable weather, dust, dirt, you name it. No salt, though.

As long as I kept the chain lubed, everything was fine.
Old 08-07-22, 09:26 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
You can get fined here for an empty bike rack that obstructs the rear license plate.....
Old 08-07-22, 11:11 AM
wellerchap

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
The biggest problem with doing this in Britain would be theft....we're World Champions I fear at motorbike/bicycle theft
Old 08-07-22, 11:19 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedway2
You can get fined here for an empty bike rack that obstructs the rear license plate.....
Looks like the OP will not have that problem.
Old 08-07-22, 01:22 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I'm am in the desert. Thanks for the tip on Pledge..
Make sure to get 'lemon scented' pledge.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-07-22, 10:50 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Back when I had summers off (4 of them in a row), I spent summers with my MTB (and often road bike) basically living on the back of my car. Many tens of thousands of miles going all over the country. I drove through every imaginable weather, dust, dirt, you name it. No salt, though.

As long as I kept the chain lubed, everything was fine.
Thanks. I do need to get on top of my chain maintenance.
Originally Posted by Speedway2
I've wondered about that. Not so much the empty rack of course, but the obstructed plate. It's never completely obstructed so there's that. Also I think there's a little leeway living in a small town. I'm pretty sure every deputy in the county recognizes just about all the locals by now. Maybe I'm tempting fate, but so far nobody has said anything about it.
Old 08-07-22, 10:51 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Iride01
One other thing that might get you one day is backing down an inclined driveway or such is that you might drag the rack on the street. Possibly bending the both the rack and the bike's wheels. So just be aware!

You'd think the same would happen when you drive into that driveway, but it doesn't always. I guess angles of entry and departure and other stuff add up to differences.
It's pretty flat around here. Not saying it can't happen, but I haven't really seen anything that might risk it.