Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Golden Arrow clamp-on as braze-on front der?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-07-22, 02:59 AM
grouchysmurf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Cheers. Short question: on my frame there is a hanger (is it a proper name?) to which one would mount a front derailleur. There is a vintage bike, sold cheaply, with Shimano Golden Arrow front and rear derailleurs, but the front derailleur has a clamp. Is it possible to remove the clamp and have it installed to the hanger?
Old 08-07-22, 07:10 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Not without significant modification of the derailleur. It's much easier and likely to perform better if you buy a derailleur designed to work on your frame's derailleur mount.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-07-22, 08:29 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
IIRC the Golden Arrow was a group from the mid 1980s, just before indexing took over. I don't recall ever seeing one that used a braze on mount (that "hanger"). Did this der come on the frame you have? Or are the frame and der from two different sources?

Trust John's reply. He knows what's going on.

But if the der clamp was the correct size for the frame's seat tube diameter one could cut, grind down and file smooth the braze on mount to end up with a simple round tube where the clamp would fit. I'm not suggesting to do this, just it is within the possibilities. Andy
Old 08-07-22, 09:53 AM
grouchysmurf

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Not without significant modification of the derailleur. It's much easier and likely to perform better if you buy a derailleur designed to work on your frame's derailleur mount.
Thanks.

I don't feel like, but I guess I need to ask even though it feels like jumping into the rabbit hole: are there, by any chance, different standards for front derailleurs mount? I am not asking about the holes / sockets drilled into the frame but about the hangers / mounts protruding from the frame.
Old 08-07-22, 09:55 AM
grouchysmurf

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
IIRC the Golden Arrow was a group from the mid 1980s, just before indexing took over. I don't recall ever seeing one that used a braze on mount (that "hanger"). Did this der come on the frame you have? Or are the frame and der from two different sources?
The frame came without from derailleur. I just some an adv from someone selling an old bike (for parts, is it said) with a complete Golden Arrow group. The price was the peanuts, relatively, but the front derailleur has the clamp, hence the question.

I'd better be off and look for something that can be mount to my frame without any additional fuss.
Old 08-07-22, 10:06 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
Yes, finding a ft der that will fit the mount is what most would do and what I would suggest too.

To your question about the mounts and der compatibility and specs- Most ft braze on mounted ders have followed the "Campy standard", certainly for bikes from the mid 1980s. There have been some variations though. Most are about how high off the BB shell (and really the chainring top) the mount is placed. When compact doubles became popular some mounts became longer to allow more der positioning options. A very few ft ders have used an entirely different mount (both SunTour and Shimano had ft ders with a pull up band type of clamp, much like drop bar brake lever clamps. These braze ons (replacing the band portion) were more water bottle boss like in their basic shape). But I am willing to say the vast majority of braze on mount ft ders will be compatible with your mount. Whether you can get a good ring teeth to cage gap will be the discovery. Andy
Old 08-07-22, 05:37 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by grouchysmurf
I don't feel like, but I guess I need to ask even though it feels like jumping into the rabbit hole: are there, by any chance, different standards for front derailleurs mount? I am not asking about the holes / sockets drilled into the frame but about the hangers / mounts protruding from the frame.
As Andrew said, most follow the Campanolo pattern of a curved tab with slot in it, into which the derailleur mounts. The slot allows some verical adjustment to accommodate different chainring sizes, and the curved tab allows a little rotation to optimize shifting. There are exceptions. Can you post a picture of what you have?

Old 08-08-22, 12:21 AM
grouchysmurf

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Cheers. Below are some pictures of the mount. It seems they are made up to the standard / curved / convex as per the Campagnolo tab from the above picture.

Front derailleur mount -- 1

Front derailleur mount -- 2