Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

How Do Tadpole Riders Get Thru the Cold Winter?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 10-19-22, 03:12 PM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

New Tadpole rider here, so please forgive my ignorance.

I live in the Northeast so temps are already dropping and daylight is getting shorter. Although started riding my tadpole to get some prescribed exercise, I immediately found that I really enjoy it. So, I'm already wondering how I'm going to cope with the usual 4 or 5 months of winter weather. (A "warm" day would be in the 20's or 30's F. plus wind)

Looking for some advice here:

1. Do you continue riding outdoors throughout the winter? If so, what do you wear (specifically) to stay warm and comfortable during your outdoor ride?
2. I already own a Sportscrafter trainer for indoor exercise. While it works fine, it's also knd of boring. Any ideas on how to make it more interesting?
3. Spending the winter down south isn't an option for me, but I don't want to go stir-crazy without riding. So are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-22, 10:31 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Northeast could mean Maine, or New York. Coldest I've knowingly ridden is is around 23F.Only because it was a dry, sunny day. I have been out walking in 2F and below 0F many times in the long past. Because I'm on a bike I try to avoid black ice. So any morning commute where it was below 32F in the night will probably be scrapped. On a trike low 20's or lower. Keeping extremities warm could be an issue. You might need heat packs in gloves/mittens and booties. Clothing can be anything. On Bike Forums it seems very divided between those who ride in everyday clothes and those that go for bike specific clothing. Layers though. Three thinnish layers can get a lot done. Why not work it the other way and rather than ask for ideas on what to wear, why not list out the clothes you already have for the season and we'll see how to make that work. I have pants I can't wear on a bike but are fine for a stroll in freezing weather. A trike should have more room for legs to wear baggier clothing. One overlooked trick is to put a layer of newspaper under your jacket. Without adding much weight or bulk the windproofing you get easily gets you another 5 or 10 degrees of cold tolerance at riding speeds. Watch ears, noses, eyelids, etc. I don't miss the NorthEast. Sorry.
Old 10-20-22, 07:55 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Broad topic. Not really specific to tadpoles in any way. Suggest you bring in up in the general cycling sub-forum here for more feedback (this sub-forum is pretty dead). And/or peruse the numerous past threads. There is a also the dedicated winter cycling sub-forum here.
Old 10-20-22, 09:56 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
i'd go read up on what dog sled runners wear in Alaska to keep warm. Good luck! Feeling grateful to live where cold is 50 degrees.
Old 10-22-22, 06:31 AM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
To clarify, I live in upstate New York and am talking about 20-40 degree weather. While I have ski clothing, the lower body clothing is too bulky to allow the legs to move freely for riding. So my main concern is what to wear to keep the legs warm, but free to move effectively. And what to wear to keep the head/face warm.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-22, 09:36 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Wind blox for the ears (Amazon), thermal pants with stretch outer and thermal inner lining (Amazon.com: Marmot Mens Polartec Baselayer Moisture-Wicking Tights : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry), a balaclava made from silk, pogies or really good gloves, Merino base layers. I suspect you will have to try some different combos of things to find what works for you, so you stay warm but don't sweat all over.
Old 10-23-22, 06:14 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
More and more cyclists are using electronic trainers and using an online environment. The most popular one is Zwift. Rouvy is another one I'm aware of. With the online services, you're put in a virtual environment. Zwift puts you on a road with other people from literally everywhere in the world. When you go up a hill, it's harder to pedal, when you go down, you can coast. It's still indoors, but not as boring as a simple trainer.

You can also get proper clothes and go out in the cold. I do that some when the roads are clear; but cold-weather rides are always short compared to summer rides.
Old 10-24-22, 12:45 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Here in Nebr where it can get colder than 30 below, I make it thru the winter with my trike hung upside down in the garage, and me wrapped in my blankee in the house.
Likes For rydabent: