Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Scott Aspect - "I would not go there" ...

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Scott Aspect - "I would not go there" ...

Old 10-27-22, 03:38 AM
fujitasummers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
thank you...

...all for chipping in. would have def been a whole eve down the pub.

as someone with no knowledge there's loads of good info there. I had been kind of ignoring the whole 1x issue, now that's more top of mind. I have a feeling whilst there's loads of options on gears etc (see, no knowledge) I suspect without any personal experience comparison this may be something that I won't be in a position of regret/envy (as someone said, most at this level are kind of similar). And that bike manufacturers just don't seem to want to communicate if a bike is tubeless or tubeless ready or whatever - they just stick down the spec of the wheel - this seems like quite a useful thing to know and from a sales pov would be in their advantage to do so (especially here as we have these frankly vicious sneaky little bushes that drop thorny seeds everywhere and are the bain of inner tubes across the country).
Will be checking a few over the weekend and trying to get sensible feedback beyond the colour from Wifezilla.
many thanks again. B
Old 10-27-22, 05:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by fujitasummers
...all for chipping in. would have def been a whole eve down the pub.

as someone with no knowledge there's loads of good info there. I had been kind of ignoring the whole 1x issue, now that's more top of mind. I have a feeling whilst there's loads of options on gears etc (see, no knowledge) I suspect without any personal experience comparison this may be something that I won't be in a position of regret/envy (as someone said, most at this level are kind of similar). And that bike manufacturers just don't seem to want to communicate if a bike is tubeless or tubeless ready or whatever - they just stick down the spec of the wheel - this seems like quite a useful thing to know and from a sales pov would be in their advantage to do so (especially here as we have these frankly vicious sneaky little bushes that drop thorny seeds everywhere and are the bain of inner tubes across the country).
Will be checking a few over the weekend and trying to get sensible feedback beyond the colour from Wifezilla.
many thanks again. B
Come back and let us know how you did.
Old 10-27-22, 11:20 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
1x provides many benefits for mountain bikes but the Aspect is not taking advantage of most of them
  • Front shifting sucks
  • Left lever position freed up for dropper lever
  • Chain clearance for plus tires
  • Longer shaft for main pivot of suspension
  • Suspension anti-squat dialed in for the single chain ring

1x also has disadvantages for a bike like this
  • The inexpensive versions are very heavy. The cassette weighs about a pound and a half. Not that Scott is trying very hard to save weight on this bike anyhow
  • The gear range is not as wide as a triple. You will notice this more on the top end just riding around and more on the bottom end if loaded touring
Ergo - groupset is not a determining factor.

Regarding tubeless - lots of inexpensive bikes are now coming "tubeless ready" which generally means the rims are good to go but the tires are not tubeless tires nor does it have tubeless valve stems. If you want to convert, the time to do it is when the first set wears out, unless you really prefer tubeless or a specific other tire. If the tires do not say tubeless, they might seal up but the sidewalls might weep antifreeze (one of the sealant ingredients) and they might not be as secure on the rim
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-27-22 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-27-22, 11:30 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Bikes are tools, you want the best tool for the job.

If you and Mrs. Gojira want to ride relaxedly off-road over dry, dusty, sort of flattish terrain, without a lot of fast downhills, rock gardens, big drops .... then any of the Aspect line will be more than enough.

IMO.
Old 11-13-22, 11:15 PM
fujitasummers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
We have a result

so, in the end: wifezilla ended up with a secondhand older carbon Scale 35 - I figured nice and light also for riding and light=fewer complaints. She hates the colour (black). I ended up with last year's Aspect 940 which had been converted to a 1x (thinking use the now empty front shifter cable run to route a dropper cable?) but has some no-brand Chinese lightweight fork (probably fine as will be mainly gravelly trails for us for a while).

lucky to have trails two streets away behind our house here in Dubai.
cheers everyone.
Old 11-15-22, 09:30 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

so, in the end: wifezilla ended up with a secondhand older carbon Scale 35 - I figured nice and light also for riding and light=fewer complaints. She hates the colour (black). I ended up with last year's Aspect 940 which had been converted to a 1x (thinking use the now empty front shifter cable run to route a dropper cable?) but has some no-brand Chinese lightweight fork (probably fine as will be mainly gravelly trails for us for a while).

cheers everyone.

Enjoy!
Old 11-17-22, 11:46 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts

cheers everyone.
Interesting how your opinions can change when you have done a bit of background research. Too bad about the colour of your wife's bike, but black isn't really all that unpleasant, perhaps some colourful accessories might help with that, saddle, handgrips, that sort of thing
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-18-22, 02:44 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Deore is the 105 equivalent, right?
Pretty much.

Is Alivio the Sora equivalent?
Possibly. Then what is the Tourney equivalent?
Old 11-18-22, 03:01 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Interesting how your opinions can change when you have done a bit of background research. Too bad about the colour of your wife's bike, but black isn't really all that unpleasant, perhaps some colourful accessories might help with that, saddle, handgrips, that sort of thing
Just what I was going to suggest. Black makes a splendid background for colorful accessories---better than bikes that aren't black, arguably.
Old 11-18-22, 03:29 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Lombard
Pretty much.

Possibly. Then what is the Tourney equivalent?

Tourney, actually.
Old 11-18-22, 04:37 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Tourney, actually.
No equivalent? Acera maybe?
Old 11-18-22, 06:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
I hear black is ‘slenderizing’, just ask any Orca.

(I have a Orbea Orca).

Old 11-18-22, 07:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
No equivalent? Acera maybe?
Tourney is Tourney both road and mountain. There is nothing really lower, there is a lot of variation in Tourney and there is some "nicer" tourney stuff but in the grand scheme it is the bottom end stuff. Nothing good or quality about it just a bottom end so Shimano can have a good solid hold on the market and be like Frank's Red Hot and put that Sh8 on everything.
Likes For veganbikes: