Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Where to start with simulated cycling?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Where to start with simulated cycling?

Old 09-16-22, 06:32 PM
La Tortue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
You are getting into the virtual bike scene at a very good time since it is intended for the two of you. Next month Zwift is coming out with a quality direct drive trainer (Hub) at a very low price ($499). This will allow you to get two so the two of you can ride together. The trainer will work across all the major cycling apps so is not Zwift specific. Zwift is the King app for a reason. This reason is the variety and community. None can compare. Your wife will love the Women's community which is absolutely huge.
Likes For La Tortue:
Old 09-23-22, 01:10 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
Kurt Kinetic has been marketing a direct-drive/wheel-off trainer with guaranteed 3% accuracy at $349 for several months now; that's just $50 more than their 'Smart 2' fluid-drive trainer. They have a DD package for $329, but it's marked 'sold out' on their web site. I'm on a budget, so I'm not a Zwift/Rouvy/KK/etc prospect or an idoor bike prospect (Peloton/ Kickr, etc.), and I like the KK fluid-drive trainer very much.
Likes For philbob57:
Old 09-23-22, 03:00 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
350 is so dirt cheap. if you are only interested in riding then the 3% accuracy is irrelevant in my opinion. my kicker goes up to 2000W and 20% grade. i can do the grade but only have hit 700W once for a second or two. not sure what the kinetic specs are but 350? wish that was around when i got my kicker.
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-23-22, 05:56 PM
La Tortue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Be very careful, If you are talking about the Kinetic RS I don't think this trainer actually provides smart remote resistance control that would allow Zwift and such to make your ride easier or harder for a more immersive virtual riding experience. This is what makes the whole virtual experience an awesome experience.
Likes For La Tortue:
Old 09-30-22, 04:11 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
my kicker goes up to 2000W and 20% grade. i can do the grade but only have hit 700W once for a second or two.
The large max power headroom is required mainly to simulate the resistance of those steep gradients at a very low cadence. The quoted 2000W max would be at a much higher cadence/flywheel speed. Even fairly crappy trainers that would struggle to simulate a 10% gradient have headline max quoted power that would seem OTT at first glance.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-30-22, 06:54 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,801 Posts
For people new to online riding and not sure if they'll like it, 2 of the Zwift Hubs (for side to side riding) when they come out really seems like the way to go. At that price, they're competing with wheel-on trainers for price, but with better accuracy, resistance, and noise level with less wear on the wheels/tires.
Old 09-30-22, 07:56 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 1,521 Times in 725 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
HINT: if you do decide to get two Zwift subscriptions, you can use their phone app (Companion), 'follow' each other, and then create a 'meetup' and invite your partner. It can be set up so that no matter how fast you actually pedal, your avatars will ride at the same speed. Great if one of you is faster than the other. You can even make everyone else on your route disappear, so it looks like you have the virtual world to yourselves.
Very cool, I didn't know any of this.