Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Headlight Recommendation?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-22, 08:00 PM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

I ride a recumbent tadpole trike that has a Bosch Active Line Plus e-Motor that's mounted on the pedals. It currently has a reflector mounted onto the top of the Bosch (fastened with a single screw) which I would like to replace with a decent LED headlight So far, my research shows most, if not all, headlights with a mount that wraps around a 2-wheeler handlebar. That kind of mount won't work for me because I have no horizontal bar anywhere to attach it to

So could anyone recommend a light that would meet my needs?

Thanks!
Bert.
Old 09-15-22, 08:23 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Can you post a picture of the e-assist on the trike showing where the reflector is mounted? I've looked at the pictures for the product at the Terratrike website but that is no help. If there is a computer mount on the trike, it is always possible to add an accessory to that mount where you can attach a headlight. If not, it might take some DIY to make one that works.
Old 09-16-22, 06:14 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 405 Posts
Lot of accessories made to help with this like Minoura SwingGrip Accessory Mount Holder
On line and larger local dealers have lots of options for lights and mounts, here is an example of mounts:https://www.utahtrikes.com/UTCAT-850.html
Old 09-16-22, 07:53 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Here is a picture of the unit not mounted on a trike. There isn't any space above the bottom bracket to mount anything and the mount shown above was designed to mount on handlebars. It is not unlike the mount I use on my Catrike 700 (cost $8) for mounting a daytime running light and a 900 lumen flashlight used as a nighttime light. That's why I asked for a picture. My trike has a computer mount that allows me to use a handlebar extender for the light.

Old 03-31-23, 08:00 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Maybe instead of a special light, how about fabricating a light mount to replace the reflector? I had two threaded holes to use, but a little PVC pipe and a length of flat aluminum stock 3/4" wide x 1/16" thick (I had to buy a 4' length at the hardware store) wrapped around the pipe.

You can pretty much mount any handlebar light on the pipe. If you have only one hole, maybe you can bend both ends of the aluminum strip together and use one screw to hold them both. And bend, rather than fold, so you don't weaken the corner. Hope this helps.
Likes For DeadGrandpa:
Old 03-31-23, 09:25 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
T-Cycle makes very nice stuff, if a little pricey. You could use one of these, but you'd have to also buy the 90 degree adapters for it.

https://t-cycle.com/collections/acce...ccessory-mount
Old 04-06-23, 03:25 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Maybe instead of a special light, how about fabricating a light mount to replace the reflector? I had two threaded holes to use, but a little PVC pipe and a length of flat aluminum stock 3/4" wide x 1/16" thick (I had to buy a 4' length at the hardware store) wrapped around the pipe.
That mount is genius. My recumbent has something similar for the front derailleur post. Were I the o.p. I would get a helmet mounted headlight. I have helmet mounts for both my MagicShine and Cygolite headlights. The MagicShines are very old but keep working. The Cygolite is very new, it's helmet mount is very slick and even kind of attractive when a light isn't attached.
Old 04-06-23, 03:43 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
That mount is genius....
Thanks for the compliment. I take pride in using scrap material lying around. Currently working on a diy front fender design, with attachment struts for mounting at the top of each kingpin. Not sure if it's going to work, but haven't seen any diy fenders hereabouts to copy or study. OEM fenders are pricey.
Likes For DeadGrandpa: