Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Body is changing since joining gym

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-20, 07:54 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts

Joined Snap Fitness at end of October 2019 and the guy there said I will see a change in about 3 months. True to his word, the change has taken place. No weight loss, but more like a weight transfer. Moved the power gut upwards defying gravity, and now the chest and arms are larger and more defined. The back feels really good, too. Had to bring in the belt a notch, and need to get larger shirts to accommodate the increase in upper body.

I joined to give me something to do in the snow time and to maintain sanity by fighting off the winter blues. Did not expect to change my physique, but it happened. My wife is noticing as well and says for sure the gut is way smaller than this past fall. The real test will be when I try on the old racing jersey from my 20's. Well, I just may wait a bit longer for that! Was really skinny and light back then.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 01-10-20, 08:57 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Just joined a gym myself, since it came free with my Medicare Advantage plan. And I will say that after the first day, my body changed--guess I overdid the first day, thought I was in better shape--you'd think by now I'd have learned not to overexert! Looking forward to being in better shape when good riding season comes around.
Old 01-10-20, 09:51 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
I have lifted weights at the local YMCA for about 20 years, but I started to get visible results a few years ago when a more flexible work schedule in my encore career enabled me to go 3 or 4 times per week. It complements my cycling, fast walking, and some jogging nicely.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-10-20, 10:05 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Same for me. My waist is about the same but my chest, arms and legs are more toned. My chest has gone from 42" to 44" and I don't concentrate on upper body. But, this is what my body has done ever since playing football in college and lifting. Unfortunately, my weight has not changed.
Old 01-10-20, 04:04 PM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts
I joined the 24 Hour Fitness, a mile away from me at Lowry. Silver Sneakers Program. Was introduced to a fantastic spin class instructor there, first time working out indoors. Stephen's class is very well attended and the three classes a week have increased my level of cycling fitness, especially during the colder months. Have met some fine folks, followers of Stephen for years, at the classes. I never thought I'd be indoors working out but the spin classes are very addictive, for me and others there.
Old 01-10-20, 07:49 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
We hold sufferfests at the shop every weekend. The same people show up every time and they are fanatics about it. I rode trainers and rollers for 20 years when racing and have zero desire to do it anymore. I get on the rollers once in a while as they feel right to me and seriously help my balance and spin, but only in the snow-time. Otherwise it is real riding or now the gym.

One thing for sure is the addiction to lifting is real. Feels good to see the progress in volume or weight. Kind of like a noob racer moving up in the peloton each weekend. Seeing the progress and feeling the change in endurance and strength are just wonderful at this point in life. Naw, no speedo competitions in the future! lol
Old 01-10-20, 08:48 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
After reading several articles about resistance training being about the best thing one can do to help offset the inevitable effects of aging I decide to join a gym last Feb. At 64 this is the first time I have ever belonged to a gym and also the first time I have lifted weights since high school. Although somewhat in doubt that at this age I would be able to add any muscle but figured it would be good for me anyway.

Well, almost a year later I'm shocked at the progress I've been able to make. I made notes on all the weights when I started and looking back at those I can hardly believe where I'm at now. Never thought that at 64 my arms and shoulders would be larger and better defined than at any point in my life. Unfortunately, I've also put on some weight and while most of it is good weight it does make climbing the hills more of a challenge. But since I ride for fitness and fun, not speed, I'm OK with that.

So between riding 4 days a week (live in a pretty mild climate) and lifting 3 days I've somehow managed to get myself into the best shape of my life. Wish I wouldn't have waited so long to do it though. And I agree with TiHab. Seeing the progress you can make at this point is life is really rewarding.
Likes For August West:
Old 01-11-20, 12:47 PM
CyclingBK

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Love this. Been at it for 4 years and have just tweaked my program here and there so it’s just 3 days, 35-40 minutes.

Tues-bench press 5 sets x 5-12 reps, seated cable rows, 5 sets x 7-12 reps

Wed-goblet squats, 5 sets x 8-12 reps, Romanian deadlifts 4 sets x 8-10 reps.

Friday, incline dumbbell press 5 sets x 6-12 reps, vbar lat pull down, 5 seats 8-12 reps

Then, cycling or cardio on 3 other days, one rest day.

This has been sustainable for me.
Likes For CyclingBK:
Old 01-13-20, 06:41 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
I've had a gym membership for over 30 years. I should look like Atlas by now, but I still bear more resemblance to the globe he carries on his shoulders.
For most of that time, I was an over the road truck driver, and adhering to any sort of a regimen ranged from challenging to impossible.
During the fair weather seasons, I was out on my bike at every opportunity, so my gym visits were usually over the winter only, and always sporadic, with no sort of routine possible.
Since retirement, 4 years now, I have gotten into a more disciplined routine. From November to April, I try to get to the gym 3 times a week, but it's surprising how many things can pop up to make that challenging even as a retiree.
Old 01-13-20, 09:52 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
I’m lucky I start lifting I bulk up fast. Last venture ended up with triple hernia repair that was the end of power lifting for me Once my hand surgeries are complete I will lift again but not in the same style. I like free weights and compound lifts. So less weight more reps.

Last edited by Hondo Gravel; 01-13-20 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-13-20, 10:13 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I’m lucky I start lifting I bulk up fast. Last venture expended up with triple hernia repair that was the end of power lifting for me Once my hand surgeries are complete I will lift again but not in the same style. I like free weights and compound lifts. So less weight more reps.
yeah, girly weights with high reps for me. Actually I should use the term old man weights because a lot of the women I see in the gym could likely put me on the floor in two seconds.
Old 01-13-20, 01:57 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
body transformation is a beautiful thing. but it can mess w/ one's head. careful with the shoulders, cuz if you mess one up, it kinda lingers ...
Old 01-13-20, 10:47 PM
TheDudeIsHere

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 161 Posts
I haven't been to a gym in 10 years but I think I'd be a better gym rat than cyclist.

Haven't touched weights in 10 years but I need to so the young punks don't start trying to steal my lunch money.

Maybe if I start lifting now, I'll gain some muscle back.