Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter gloves - gloves for *REAL* winter

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter gloves - gloves for *REAL* winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-19, 10:34 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I understand that the OP wants gloves, not bar mitts, but for the record, there are bar mitts available for drop bar bikes. For example Maybe I'm not understanding, Hypno Toad, but the way you've described the pros and cons, it sounds like you're thinking that bar mitts are not available for drop bars.
I have pogies, and used them when the bike had flat-bars. I got them from Gupgum Gear, a local friend that makes stuff in his home. He and I have talked about making pogies to fit my Woodchippers, but I find that my hands overheat in pogies. For reference, here's a pic from the 2019 Filthy 50 (same day/race as the pic in the first post). The temp was around freezing the whole ride. I started with gloves, and put them in pockets after the first climb (mile 5). I put them back on after we turned into the winds (mile 25). I was happy and comfortable with bare hands for 20 miles in temps hovering around freezing in crosswinds between 20 & 25 mph. I get many questions from other riders wonder if I lost or forgot my gloves ... I'm in the minority when it comes to circulation and being comfortable riding in the cold.

photo credit - Markman Outdoor Photography

Edit/afterthought: also notice, no shoe covers on summer shoes. I had wool snowboard socks under Giro Republic shoes. My feet were great up to the last few miles in the snow/wet.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 12-16-19 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-21-19, 04:58 PM
Oldsport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the 45Nrth Sturmfist 4 gloves, but I don't love them. Yes, they are the warmest pair of gloves that I have. However, the Aerogel insulation in palms negatively effects feel more almost any glove that I have used. I'll still use them when it's below 15 F and I am not riding my bike with Bar Mitts. Usually I do have the Bar Mitts on when it's below 15 F.
Likes For Oldsport:
Old 01-04-20, 10:29 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
When the temperature goes below 15F, I wear the same lobster claw mittens I use for snowboarding, and add a silk liner below zero. The trigger index finger is great with the rapidfire shifter on my commuting bike.

Last edited by Archwhorides; 01-04-20 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-04-20, 11:06 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
If you don't have great circulation in the extremities, and live where winter is real (high temps regularly below 20°f with consistent 10+mph winds) there is no such thing as a good winter glove for riding. Isolated fingers simply will not retain heat well enough when subjected to the constant cold wind the bike is cutting through. I have ridden with people who claim to have good circulation in the hands, wearing super expensive gloves and $400 cycling boots give-in to the cold in extreme conditions. Gloves and cycling boots are simply not upto the challenge of a ride of any real length. Mittens are the answer on the hands. You can operate integrated brake/shift levers quite reliably with a bit of practice, even with a bulky set of insulated deerskin mittens. I dont much like being tethered to the bars with bar mitts, but will usually use them when the temperature drops consistently below 0°f and gets windy. Luckily I've only had to put them on for one day so far this season . When it gets really cold, mittens inside of bar mitts will keep you toasty.
As for the feet, oversized insulated pac boots with a thick inner liner and windproof design, and a set of platform pedals are my goto. Enough room for proper circulation, thick wool socks, and even toe warmers when it gets really frigid out. I keep the laces loose, and put a set of knee warmers on below the knees before putting on the boots, and then fold them down and stretch them over the top of the boots, sealing the wind out of the loose fitting boots, keeping blood circulation optimal, and warmth inside the boot. I was comfortable commuting in high winds and -30°f temps last season, and have poor circulation in both my toes and hands, due to Raynauds. Don't be afraid to use or at least bring along chemical warmers if you plan on being out in extreme conditions for an extended length of time....and get a vacuum thermos for your drink, unless you like a frozen water bottle, as they freeze in minutes when it gets really cold.

Last edited by SalsaShark; 01-04-20 at 11:16 PM.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 01-05-20, 01:38 AM
dualresponse

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 45 Posts
Reading the comments, it sounds like finding/ replacing your current gloves with same is the best bet. Replacing gloves with same just isn't as exciting as getting something new, but it sounds like the PI's work well for you.

As much as buying a replacement set of gloves is unexciting, for me, it's still kind of cool getting a clean new mud/snot free set to wear (at least for the first ride anyways).

I fall into the same raynaud's camp as a lot of other people here.

Although lobster mitt gloves are supposed to keep the fingers "semi together", my lobster mitt gloves had individual internal liners that kept the fingers apart. I ripped those liners out, so the gloves themselves are merely shells. Inside that, I can keep my fingers sort of together, or wear wool liners, or even lightweight PI gloves, which generally does the trick. I also focus on keeping the arms themselves warm, perhaps with arm warmers under any outer coat/ shell, with the idea I want to keep the blood getting to the hands warm. To not overheat, I then wear a thinner shell/ unzipped if needed to keep my torso cool. Same goes for legs. In your case, it would probably be too warm.

Last edited by dualresponse; 01-05-20 at 02:03 AM.
Likes For dualresponse:
Old 01-12-20, 04:37 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

It took a few months (kinda normal for this Toad), but I finally pulled the trigger on a new pair of Pearl Izumi Pro AmFIB Super gloves.

Overthinking is a thing for me ... the LBS has both options in my OP. Yesterday, I brought home XXL 45NRTH gloves (no other sizes between S and XXL available); thought on it over night; went back to exchange for XL Pearl gloves. I felt like the Pearl gloves were too tight in the pinky/ring finger; if the 45NRTH had a strap to tighten around the wrist, I'd likely kept them so I could ride with a liner glove on the coldest rides. But ultimately, I was concerned about wet 30F rides and the XXL 45NRTH getting sloppy and making it hard to feel the bars without an adjustable strap at the wrist (just elastic).

I took the Pearl gloves out today for about an hour at 15F, they are just like my last pair (great). Hands were never cold, got sweaty after about 30 minutes, but stayed very comfortable while wet. Forecast has us headed to the -20F range, I'll post an update when I get out in the sub-zero stuff.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 01-21-20 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-13-20, 01:35 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
took the Pearl gloves out today for about an hour at 15F, they are just like my last pair (great). Hands were never cold, got sweaty after about 30 minutes, but stayed very comfortable while wet
that's how I find mine are (older model). with other gloves that made my hands sweat they were tough to put back on after removing for a break, but the PI gloves go back on, albeit a little bit more slowly. wouldn't it be nice if someone figured out a "pit-zip" of some kind, that we could open/close as needed, to let a gentle breeze thru occasionally. one reason why I like bar mitts so much

Last edited by rumrunn6; 01-13-20 at 01:48 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 01-13-20, 01:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

I started with gloves, and put them in pockets after the first climb (mile 5). I put them back on after we turned into the winds (mile 25)
I find my hands warm as I ride, as well, so I have to plan accordingly & often carry a lightweight pair of something. not true of my toes however
Old 01-17-20, 09:57 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by dualresponse
my lobster mitt gloves had individual internal liners that kept the fingers apart.
I didn't know that any of the Pearl Izumi lobster gloves had the counter-productive liners that you're describing, until I read one post about it about it last week. My PI lobster gloves didn't come with those. Don't buy the ones that do. Report which ones come with those liners so that people can avoid them.
Old 01-17-20, 10:22 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

I actually have been using fingerless gloves that convert into mittens, for every Winter activity the past 20 years. Those of us that use bar-end shifters can just flip these gloves into mitten-mode and keep riding comfortably:

Old 01-17-20, 10:27 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Crap! Sorry for the huge photo. I can't edit it out either, because these huge images push those controls off my screen (along with the text of the message).
Old 01-17-20, 11:09 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
wouldn't it be nice if someone figured out a "pit-zip" of some kind
I think Swany Toaster does that. I have any old pair that are still going. I don't usually need to vent heat, although they would do that. I just like em cuz they are nice for using your fingers without taking the whole mitten off.
Old 01-17-20, 12:16 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by rseeker
I think Swany Toaster does that. I have any old pair that are still going. I don't usually need to vent heat, although they would do that. I just like em cuz they are nice for using your fingers without taking the whole mitten off.
hmmm interesting
Old 01-17-20, 12:59 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts

Waterproof Heated Cycle Glove- Sealskinz

Old 01-17-20, 02:09 PM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
Pearl Izumi gloves are very warm and have a good dexterity to ride all winter in upstate NY in temp 30F and below.
If not enough, silk liners add an additional warmth and temperature range. I prefer silk over the merino wool liners-thinner and easier for the glove to slide on/off .
If that is not enough I would opt for the ski Swany X-change gloves -they even have a chemical warmer pocket. For me Swany gloves maybe too much for bicycle riding in winter. My feet start freezing way before my hands.
Old 01-21-20, 08:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Update: We never hit -20F; but got under 0F. Went out for 90 minutes and loved the PI gloves.

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-22-20, 04:17 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
For extremely cold days I am using gloves or mitts made from deerskin leather with sherpa lining. They are very warm and comfortable,
Old 01-23-20, 03:43 PM
rumrunn6

Update: We never hit -20F; but got under 0F. Went out for 90 minutes and loved the PI gloves.
you guys are badasses. live long & prosper
Old 01-23-20, 03:47 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
you guys are badasses. live long & prosper

Thanks!

Badasses or dumbasses .... not really sure which
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-26-20, 11:50 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
As they were on sale for “only” $90 I bought the Pear iZUMi P.R.O AmFIB Super Glove in XL so that I could wear knit gloves underneath for extra warmth. And yet, riding in fairly mild weather — ~36ºF, no wind at all — my finger tips quickly began to throb in pain from the cold. Was a relief to take them all off when I got home.

These gloves suck donkey balls.

Last edited by andychrist; 01-27-20 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Sale price!
Old 01-27-20, 11:44 AM
parkbrav

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Those Pearl Izumi gloves are real nice, and if you shop around you can get 25% or more off. I wear nothing extra beneath them and they seem to work just fine to around 0F

Last edited by parkbrav; 01-27-20 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-27-20, 12:32 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by andychrist
As they were on sale for “only” $90 I bought the Pear iZUMi P.R.O AmFIB Super Glove in XL so that I could wear knit gloves underneath for extra warmth. And yet, riding in fairly mild weather — ~36ºF, no wind at all — my finger tips quickly began to throb in pain from the cold. Was a relief to take them all off when I got home.

These gloves suck donkey balls.
Try them without the knit gloves - the bulk is likely causing the issue. For good warmth in gloves (& boots) you want some air space, too tight cuts circulation and limits insulation effectiveness.
Old 01-31-20, 11:41 PM
rseeker

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I've been shopping replacement gloves since Christmas, looking for somethign waterproof since what I have isn't that. I wear either a "roper's" work glove if it's warm or my Swany ski gloves if it's cold, but neither of those is waterproof.

I wanted to just get some breathable-waterproof mittens but around here the only reasonably-priced ones (sub-$50 IMO) were gloves with fingers. I tried three different kinds (Columbia from Dicks $39, HotFingers from Dicks $29, and Swiss Tech from Walmart $16) and even added acrylic liner gloves (Walmart, $2.50) and still had cold fingers in freezing temps.

So I started trying to find just a waterproof shell glove, and maybe they're out there but I must not have had the right search terms. I found some polyurethane ones for kids which would have been perfect, but they don't make them for adults?

FINALLY I found these WindRider ones which I now have in hand (heh) and they're great. Apparently the right term is "shell mitten", at least it brought me to these.

They just go over top of whatever other glove I'm wearing. I ordered size L and size XL, and I can make the XL work, but I'm ordering one size larger to try, the XXL, before I make a final decision on size because it's still a tight squeeze getting them on over my ski gloves.

They have a fabric inner liner but I wouldn't call it padding; it's very minimal, while still giving a nice feeling if your bare hand is inside. So it's more of a shell that feels good on the inside.

The outer is just Cordura, I think with DWR coating, but I expect that'll wear off. Under that is a waterproof liner, not breathable, which is fine because I think GoreTex and the like are a maintenance headache in gloves (the Columbia ones and one other said you can wipe the outside but don't wash them), basically making it almost impossible to clean if say you want to get the sweat out of them. Inside the waterproof liner is the fabric liner.

The adjustable strap across the back of the hand is nice, although I'm not sure that's holding. It may be loosening as I ride, but I've only used them once, I'll have to see about that. I can live with that either way. There's also a drawstring closure at the wrist opening, which is great.

That zipper on the back of the hand is not a vent, it's just a storage pocket, on the outside of the waterproof liner.

Last edited by rseeker; 02-01-20 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-01-20, 08:50 AM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My hands are always cold. Cold weather cycling has been an issue. Even using heavier gloves my fingers are still in pain in moderately cold conditions. Bar mitts did not work for me. One option I found to work pretty well is heated glove liners Heated Gloves - The Hottest Heated and Best Fitting Heated Glove Liners
Old 02-01-20, 11:12 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by dim

Waterproof Heated Cycle Glove- Sealskinz

I have the same ones different brand they work great. a bit of a pain to remove the batteries to charge but they are all that work for me. anything below about 45 and even the best cycling gloves don't work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.