Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Replace wheel lug with quick release skewer?

Search
Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-20, 10:48 PM
xpro6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Everyone

I'm looking to buying a beach bike and it's important for me to be able to carry it in my car which is a compact sized sedan with folding seats. I would like the front wheel to easily come off so I can make sure it fits in my car. From what I have found, none of the bikes come with a quick release skewer for the front wheels. I did find out that they are sold separately. Is it possible to change the lugs with the quick release skewer easily?

Also I plan on using the bike part time on the beach. Are fat tires really necessary?
Old 11-27-20, 08:16 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Yes it would be possible. The easiest would if its a 26 wheel bike to put a 26 inch mountain bike wheel with quick release on the bike. If you buy from a bike shop they could certainly help you do this. Roger
Old 11-27-20, 08:48 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Several times I've done this by replacing the axle (solid) with a quick release one. Pretty easy job as long as you have a schematic or keep the parts in order as you remove them. If it's a cone & cup system, you need the appropriate wrench. Look up Sheldon Brown.
Old 11-27-20, 08:49 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,492 Posts
Q/r

Carry an adjustable wrench in the car.nutted axles keep thieves from stealing wheels.
😬
Likes For '02 nrs:
Old 11-27-20, 10:08 AM
DesmoDog

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Sure it can be done. But define "easily". A shop would rebuild the hub, replacing the stock axle with a hollow one so a skewer will fit. It's easy for the shop but maybe not for you?

One thing to watch out for is if the bike has fenders, how does the brace for the front one attach? I had changed the brace on mine to something stronger, and when I did that I shortened it up so it bolted to the fork because I dislike fender braces that go under the axle nut. A QR axle doesn't do much good if the fender brace attaches to the axle too. I don't have the safety washers in place in this picture but it shows what I mean about shortening the brace so it bolts to the fork instead of under the axle nut.

In my case, the cost of the axle and skewer were so high I bought a new (nicer) hub instead. But I was also planning on replacing the rim so it wasn't any more work to replace the hub at the same time. So, yeah... what started as replacing the axle morphed into building a new wheel. Actually this all started with replacing the brake pads. It's a long story.

Last edited by DesmoDog; 11-27-20 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-27-20, 11:20 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by '02 nrs
Carry an adjustable wrench in the car.nutted axles keep thieves from stealing wheels.
😬
The only wheels I ever had stolen were nutted front wheels (from a 1986 Cannondale mountain bike, which came with nutted wheels, and a Bianchi track bike with nutted Campy high-flange hubs), because I had enough sense to secure the QR wheels but not enough sense to secure the nutted wheels.
Old 12-26-20, 08:22 PM
ecologito

Bikes: Electra Lux 7D

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

I am new to the forum and this info is helpful. I bought an electra lux 7d that has nutted wheels and want to swap for a Quick release. I wasn't sure what would entail but figured if can't be too hard since the fenders attach to the fork, not the hub or the axle.
Old 12-27-20, 01:35 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
As others have said, you need to replace the axle with a hollow one. It is not very difficult to change the axle. But look at the economics, it might be smarter to get a new wheel. You then have a spare wheel.

I am fat challenged and ride on rough tracks. I have broken a hollow quick release axle in a back wheel. They are not as strong. I would keep the solid axle and carry a spanner, as others have said. The time difference to remove and replace a wheel with a spanner is so little.

If you ride on the beach, salt water will destroy your bike quickly.

For riding on sand, I would definitely get a fat bike. Even then, you wont go far in dry sand.