Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ride a road bike with 25mm or 28mm tires on outdoor running track?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-21, 02:47 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

Has anyone here ridden a road bike with either 25mm or 28mm tires, on an outdoor running track that has the resilient surface? Just wondering if such a track can be used for bicycle riding.

Thank you and cheers
Old 05-05-21, 03:50 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You could, but as the parent of a high school track athlete, I'd ask you not to. There are millions of miles of roads available to us, tracks are relatively scarce. Leave them to the runners.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-05-21, 04:28 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Go to the source, owner/management, and ask them. My guess, the answer is: "No Bikes Allowed."
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 05-05-21, 04:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I would like to add, I went to an all boys private high school that was very athletic based and academically challenging. The gyms, stadium, track are paid for by the parents and student fund raisers and donations. Part of graduating from that school was based on how much money your parents would donate or how many fund raisers you participated in throughout the years. Several times a year back in the late 70's we were expected to sell hundreds and hundreds of dollars in fund raisers. As well as paying tuition which is super crazy right now.

I'm guessing if they saw you on their track with a bike, the priests there would shoot you!
Shoot. I donated a couple of hundred dollars to the track at my daughter's high school when she was only in kindergarten. Took that long to fundraise and build.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-05-21, 05:18 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Thanks people. I was thinking that perhaps the surface of a resilient running track was too fragile for a bicycle with narrow tires. I used to do laps on an asphalt paved outdoor running track years ago. It was a great place to take a bike for a test ride or to help diagnose certain problems where you could concentrate wholly on the problem and not have to worry about traffic. It was also a great place to teach people bicycle handling courses.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 05-06-21, 01:35 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
If there’s a community college near you, those are good for test & tune rides. Big parking lots, low-speed roadways, and pretty much deserted on weekends.
I took my BRC at one of the TCC campuses, ant the handling course was painted on one of the parking lots; I’d bring my new bikes out there on “off” weekends to do handling drills.
Old 05-06-21, 06:07 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
I can't imagine many things more boring than riding my bike around a running track.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-07-21, 09:11 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Large church parking anytime other than Sunday mornings or Wednesday nights are awesome for that purpose. I used to always test newly-built bikes riding laps around the fancy parking lot of the wealthiest Presbyterian church here, and I taught my kids to ride in the parking lot of the "establishment" Baptist church that was at the end of our street.
Old 05-07-21, 10:16 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Large church parking anytime other than Sunday mornings or Wednesday nights are awesome for that purpose. I used to always test newly-built bikes riding laps around the fancy parking lot of the wealthiest Presbyterian church here, and I taught my kids to ride in the parking lot of the "establishment" Baptist church that was at the end of our street.
Old 05-08-21, 01:08 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've done a few laps running around the local junior high school's new track. The synthetic rubber is remarkably rough and hard, not at all what I was expecting. I definitely would not want to fall on that kind of track material -- to the touch it feels like a really hard, rough Scotch-Brite pad for scrubbing pots and pans.

It's a good compromise for both spiked running shoes and all purpose running flats without spikes, such as the adidas Adizero Takumi Sen 6 or earlier versions of the Takumi Sen. Those have hard rubber sorta-spikes for good grip on oval tracks over 800m or longer races. And the grip wasn't bad on my road running shoes, although I'm so slow I'm in no danger of sliding off any track.

I suspect a bike would feel sluggish on that rough synthetic track material compared with smooth asphalt and other pavement. It would probably feel comparable to riding on the least-bad chipseal I've ridden, which is still sluggish compared with good asphalt.

I'd bet the track would wear out the tires quicker rather than vice versa. But falling could damage the track if the pedals, etc, gouged the track surface. Just nicking the track with a pedal strike on a fast turn would probably gouge the track.

Last time I visited that track a young woman was walking her dog on the new track -- clockwise, in the inside lane. For the cyclist, that's the runner's equivalent to encountering salmon ninjas at night. I felt kinda bad for the dog. It probably had sore paw pads after walking laps on that rough surface.

There are some huge parking lots and industrial parks nearby with few or no cars at night and on weekends. If I wanted to ride a solo crit type course, I'd go there.
Old 05-08-21, 06:38 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
What cankle cat mentions just above - rough surface that you would not want to fall on - plus you'll notice you're a lot slower due to the flexible surface of the track interfacing with the flexible surface of your bicycle's tires. These days all the schools that have them lock them up after school is out for the day. The nly way you can access them is to pay a fee to get a 'permit' for use (typical way things are done here in California these days).

Old 'asphalt' tracks. I remember those when I was on the track team at a local community college. They were a rubberized asphalt but still felt as hard as just plain asphalt when you ran on them with spiked track shoes. I'm glad those are obsolete.

I'd rather go back to the dirt, crushed brick, and crushed granite tracks from my high school days. They would be perfect for riding a bicycle, especially if you want to skid in the corners on MTB or BMX-style bicycles.