Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Used bike value assessment?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Used bike value assessment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-21, 04:15 PM
sayn3ver

Bikes: 1989 Bianchi Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Seller called me today wondering if I was still interested. Assured me it was definitely never ridden. Said he could do $2400.

Said I would think about it overnight and give him an answer tomorrow one way or another.

I'm still undecided. Not sure if it's worth the price for a 2015. Even if new, if I ever sell it in the future it's just that much older. However, if you think about it in terms of frame, wheels and groupset then maybe. I don't need dura ace for my fitness riding.
Old 07-23-21, 04:52 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
If you're buying a pristine 9000 group, you could pull it off, build the bike up with other gear, and chuck the 9000 in the attic to appreciate. That's gonna be a sought-after group in years to come, because Shimano was bold with the styling, unlike 9100 and 9200, and successful with the styling, unlike 7900.
Old 07-24-21, 08:24 AM
sayn3ver

Bikes: 1989 Bianchi Giro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
If you're buying a pristine 9000 group, you could pull it off, build the bike up with other gear, and chuck the 9000 in the attic to appreciate. That's gonna be a sought-after group in years to come, because Shimano was bold with the styling, unlike 9100 and 9200, and successful with the styling, unlike 7900.
I don't have any desire to do that. I just want to ride something newer than what I have currently to be honest that shifts nicely.

I know mechanical groups and rims are a thing of the past lol but I don't have a desire to charge my bike (stored in unheated spaces so winter battery maintenance would become an issue for me if I bought something di2.)

On the flip side I have no faith in replacement battery availability in the future for SRAM etap components.

I ride in a pancake flat area. I'd have to drive across the bridge to PA to ride hills/climb. I don't want to deal with disc brakes and possible noise/warping like one would with race rotors on a sports car or the extra weight and complexity.

I ride for fun and fitness at the moment and if it's wet or raining won't be out in it so no need for discs again.