Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Impossible to get chain truly clean??

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-15, 10:35 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

I've been trying to get my chain as clean as I can as it's been probably a year since I cleaned the whole drive train off the bike. I let the chain sit in various jars of mineral spirits over the course of 2 days. Then I ran the chain through the ultrasonic cleaner with mineral spirits for 2 cycles, wiping the chain down after each cycle. Then I rinsed the chain under running water, and finally stuck it in the oven at 250° for about 10 minutes to get rid of any remaining moisture.

But there still seems to be some black residue buried down in between the rollers and plates, especially on the faces of the inner plates. Even after wiping all the inner plates there's STILL some stuff coming off of it.

Is it just impossible to get a chain completely spotless after it's been on the bike for a few thousand miles?
Old 04-25-15, 10:55 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Just letting it soak won't do much. The ultrasonic cleaner helps to loosen grit and old lubricant, but you'll still want to shake up the container after passes to encourage the grit to come out of the chain and stay with the solvent.

Even after a couple of passes with cleaner solvent, I do notice a little gray residue when wiping down the chain with a white paper towel. I figure that I've gotten the chain about as clean as I reasonably can (certainly much cleaner than it started) and don't worry about it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 04-25-15 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-25-15, 11:16 PM
randomgear

Bikes: '89 Specialized Hardrock Fixed Gear Commuter; 1984? Dawes Atlantis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, it's about 25 days too late but here is the one and only (endorsed by the great Sheldon Brown himself) solution: The ShelBroCo Bicycle Chain Cleaning System
Old 04-25-15, 11:38 PM
Jamminatrix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
How messy do you want to get and how patient are you?

A waterpik will get where you need it to and blast the gunk out. And then in a week it will be all for naught.
Old 04-26-15, 03:18 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
if you install a master link it's pretty easy to get a chain 100% (well...nearly so) clean. I remove my chain, put it in a small pan (backpacking stove lid) with 1" sides and swish it back and forth and use a stiff brush on a side. The mineral spirts turns black. I dump it in a bottle and add new mineral spirts (only deep enough to immerse the chain), flip the chain, brush and swish, dump the spirts, add new spirits....and after a few agitations and bit of brushing I take the chain to a sink and repeat with soapy water. When I'm done the chain is spotless and it doesn't take long. Then I bake the chain in a 220F oven for about 20min to dry it completely before reinstalling. Sounds like a lot of work but it's not and the mineral spirits is reused after sitting for a while when the dirt settles. I have a sonic cleaner and don't find it to be of any particular use for chain cleaning.
Old 04-26-15, 04:44 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Ask your doctor if Paxil is right for you.
Old 04-26-15, 05:13 AM
101stairborne

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad; Lynkey Cooper CX

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by randomgear
Well, it's about 25 days too late but here is the one and only (endorsed by the great Sheldon Brown himself) solution: The ShelBroCo Bicycle Chain Cleaning System
Now that's funny!
Old 04-26-15, 05:20 AM
long john

Bikes: cuevas

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lol maybe I can use all master links or something!
Old 04-26-15, 08:31 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yeah I was actually thinking about that page when I made this post. I figured someone would mention it.
Old 04-26-15, 08:50 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
That's Funny
How much is your time worth per hour?
If you want "like new" clean, buy a new chain.... more cost effective.
Or read up on OCD and see a doctor!
Old 04-26-15, 09:00 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Why do you want a chain perfectly clean? You aren't going to eat off of it.

People who go overboard on cleaning chains often have the worst chain life. That heavy duty cleaning removes all the lubricant and it's sometimes very difficult to get the lube back in. Dirt on the plates of a chain makes it look bad but hardly bothers shifting at all except if it's really crusted on like after riding a mountain bike in the mud.

Back when I used lubes like ProLink Gold AND the chain was really dirty, I'd pour the lube in a chain cleaning tool. That way it would clean and lube at the same time. If the chain was just a little dirty, I'd wipe it down with a rag then apply the ProLink to each pin. After a few hours, wipe the chain down again.

For the last couple of years I've gone old school and started using paraffin wax again. I just wipe down the chain with a rag; disconnect the KMC link; and drop the chain into a crock-pot with a couple of inches of paraffin wax melted in it. I let the chain sit there for an hour or so then swish it around some. Next I hang up the chain to dry and cool down. Re-install chain. It's good for 300-400 miles easy.
Old 04-26-15, 09:04 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Now that's good. My daughter use to clean her chain using Q-Tips, but she was a slacker and didn't disassemble the chain.
Old 04-26-15, 09:18 AM
Bikerdave222

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek 1, 1995 Mongoose Alta, 2002 Raleigh M80, 2014 Scott Metrix 40, 1999 Trek 820

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 101stairborne
Now that's funny!
Yeah I figured it had to be a joke!
Old 04-26-15, 01:09 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I've been trying to get my chain as clean as I can as it's been probably a year since I cleaned the whole drive train off the bike. I let the chain sit in various jars of mineral spirits over the course of 2 days. Then I ran the chain through the ultrasonic cleaner with mineral spirits for 2 cycles, wiping the chain down after each cycle. Then I rinsed the chain under running water, and finally stuck it in the oven at 250° for about 10 minutes to get rid of any remaining moisture.

But there still seems to be some black residue buried down in between the rollers and plates, especially on the faces of the inner plates. Even after wiping all the inner plates there's STILL some stuff coming off of it.

Is it just impossible to get a chain completely spotless after it's been on the bike for a few thousand miles?
You're ready for this:
The ShelBroCo Bicycle Chain Cleaning System

Sorry but I didn't see the earlier post.
Old 04-26-15, 05:08 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
For the most part, I'm content not to debate the best chain maintenance method (since there isn't one ), but I wanted to address this:

Originally Posted by JerrySTL
That heavy duty cleaning removes all the lubricant
This shouldn't be news to anyone. You drain the old oil out of a car when putting in new oil, right?

and it's sometimes very difficult to get the lube back in.
Probably true with old bushed chains, but not the ones any of us are likely to be using. Thick oil like Chain-L or similar will penetrate a clean dry chain easily, given a couple minutes. And just by listening to how the chain sounds when you move it around before and afterward, you can hear that the oil has gotten everywhere it needs to go. It's truly NBD -- nothing to get people worried about.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 04-26-15 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-26-15, 05:26 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I now clean mine every 800 miles in an ultrasonic cleaner then lube it on the bike. It never seems 100% clean, but my chains last a long time.
Old 04-26-15, 06:32 PM
JerrySTL

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
This shouldn't be news to anyone. You drain the old oil out of a car when putting in new oil, right?
Yes but you probably don't put a few quarts of degreaser into the engine crankcase the run the engine for a while in an attempt to get it perfectly clean inside.

Actually back in the day we use to put about a gallon of kerosene into the crank case of a car engine and run the engine to get out the sludge. Clumps of the stuff would drain out. Then you'd put in some cheap oil and a filter and run the engine some more then drain it again. Even more sludge would drain out. Then you'd put in the good oil and filter. It probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but it often raise oil pressure and stopped lifters from clacking so much.
Old 04-27-15, 04:25 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Just go to Walmart and buy this for 10 bucks. Spray the chain down with whatever you're using and let it sit for about five minutes before running it through the brushes.

Old 04-27-15, 04:39 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
What about throwing the chain in the dishwasher
Old 04-27-15, 06:22 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Wear is a continual process, and that wear produces very small metal particles. Even if you perfectly clean the chain (solvent, then clean solvent, then compressed air) it will soon be "dirty again from wear and dust. Want perfectly clean? Buy chains in bulk, change every 200 miles and clean all parts of the drive train each time. Better yet, store the bike in a sealed glass display case.
Old 04-27-15, 07:49 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I find that two rinses in a 32oz Gatorade bottle filled halfway with mineral spirits gets my chains very clean. The key is to shake vigorously. I let the gunk settle to the bottom and pour off the clean stuff next time. It's a pretty clean, painless process and takes maybe 5 minutes each time I have to do it. When I wipe the excess oil off a clean chain with a white rag I do notice a little gray on the rag. But it's so minimal I don't worry about it. After one ride it will likely be dirtier than that.
Old 04-27-15, 08:41 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Thank you! lmfao
Old 04-27-15, 08:47 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
What about throwing the chain in the dishwasher
It accomplishes two things:

1. Gets your chain very clean
2. Gets you a trip to divorce court.
Old 04-27-15, 08:51 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
After rinsing a chain I like to warm it up to evaporate all the water but I prefer to to leave it out in the sun for several hours. I sometimes use an oven also but too warm a temperature may anneal and soften the metal so be careful about that.
Old 04-27-15, 08:57 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
Wear is a continual process, and that wear produces very small metal particles. Even if you perfectly clean the chain (solvent, then clean solvent, then compressed air) it will soon be "dirty again from wear and dust. Want perfectly clean? Buy chains in bulk, change every 200 miles and clean all parts of the drive train each time. Better yet, store the bike in a sealed glass display case.
And only ride it in that same case. (Remember to bring oxygen or your performance will suffer.)

Ben

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.