Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trouble mounting a 25 mm tire

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 04:53 PM
Absent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like to use 25 mm tires for commuting, but it is very difficult to mount the 25 mm tires that I use (continental ultra sport II wire bead) on my rims. I usually have to use soapy water and pump it up to max pressure before the tire will seat properly-- not very convenient when I get a flat out on a ride. Other than getting a new wheelset, I was hoping for some suggestions--other brands that maybe easier to seat, wire vs. folding...

Thanks
Old 08-22-16, 05:11 PM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
One of the things you should expect with Continental tires is that they will be a b***h to mount....
Old 08-22-16, 05:31 PM
zeeway

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.5, single speed

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
One of the things you should expect with Continental tires is that they will be a b***h to mount....
I just mounted Conti GP4000 tires (folding type) with no problems.
Old 08-22-16, 05:41 PM
Berg417448
Troublemaker

Bikes: Yes. The more the better.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
My Continental Gatorskins mount easily.
Old 08-22-16, 05:45 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I had one tire/rim combo that was a real pain to mount until I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir.../dp/B001AYML7K

It's a great investment even if you use it once. It saved me hours of frustrations and skin being torn off my fingers. It's small enough to fit in a jersey pocket. I actually use mine every time I mount tires now just because it makes it so easy
Old 08-22-16, 05:46 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Absent
I like to use 25 mm tires for commuting, but it is very difficult to mount the 25 mm tires that I use (continental ultra sport II wire bead) on my rims. I usually have to use soapy water and pump it up to max pressure before the tire will seat properly-- not very convenient when I get a flat out on a ride. Other than getting a new wheelset, I was hoping for some suggestions--other brands that maybe easier to seat, wire vs. folding...

Thanks
The big thing is to get the bead into the bottom of the rim all the way around -- that gives you more slack to get the last bit of the bead over the rim. Also, put a little air in the tube (I use my mouth and pucker my cheeks rather than blowing with my lungs) before installing it to help prevent it getting pinned under the tire and causing a blowout later on. Lastly, one of the best ways to get the tire seated evenly all the way around is to work your way around the tire and massage the sidewall up or down with your thumbs while the tube only has a few psi in it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-22-16, 06:16 PM
101stairborne

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad; Lynkey Cooper CX

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Absent

Thanks
i had rims that were very difficult to mount tires. I pulled out the rim tape and put in a couple layers of Kapton tape. It made mounting tire so much easier. and it didn't cost very much.
Old 08-22-16, 06:17 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
I had one tire/rim combo that was a real pain to mount until I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir.../dp/B001AYML7K

It's a great investment even if you use it once. It saved me hours of frustrations and skin being torn off my fingers. It's small enough to fit in a jersey pocket. I actually use mine every time I mount tires now just because it makes it so easy
Whatever egghead or gearhead originally invented the bead jack, deserves a free beer every night for life.
Old 08-22-16, 06:27 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I use a thin rim tape (Continental Easy Tape) instead of the more common Velox cloth tape; it is thinner and more slippery thus making tire mounting much easier.

If you need a tool like a bead jack to mount your tires you had better have it with you on the road or you will have a long walk home. I won't run a tire/rim combo I cannot easily mount by hand; I might need to do it when it is getting dark and/or raining at the end of a long, tiring day. Isn't that when you always get a flat?