Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Endurance bike with some gravel capabilities?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-23-20, 07:54 PM
aabb

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts

Hi again. Apologies for yet another thread. Based on the last feedback I got I have decided to ask yet another question. It’s pretty short this time.

im looking for an endurance bike with some gravel capabilities, budget up to $4000 CAD. i anticipate I will be doing 60-70% road. So I really want to be able to go fast when I want to, and that’s why I have decided to shift my focus from gravel to endurance bikes (as they are faster and more comfortable)

i have looked at the Trek Domane SL 5. It’s marketed as an endurance bike but can fit tires up to 38. I have read about this bike, and people keep bringing up the large weight as a downside. I’m wondering how big of an issue this actually is and if there are any other downsides to the bike.

also please feel free to throw some suggestions for other bikes to look at. I just want something with a relaxed geometry that can go fast (not as fast as a racing bike obviously) but I can still take on some light trails and gravel.
Old 01-23-20, 08:09 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by aabb
i have looked at the Trek Domane SL 5. It’s marketed as an endurance bike but can fit tires up to 38. I have read about this bike, and people keep bringing up the large weight as a downside. I’m wondering how big of an issue this actually is and if there are any other downsides to the bike.
I'm not that knowledgeable about gravel bikes but I don't know where the weight issue is coming from regarding the Domane SL 5. It is my understanding that in general, a gravel bike is heavier than a road bike. (Have I been misinformed?) So, given the Domane is a quality road bike that has the ability to run up to 38mm tires I'm curious about where the "weight issue" is coming from.
Likes For BengalCat:
Old 01-23-20, 08:11 PM
aabb

Originally Posted by BengalCat
I'm not that knowledgeable about gravel bikes but I don't know where the weight issue is coming from regarding the Domane SL 5. It is my understanding that in general, a gravel bike is heavier than a road bike. (Have I been misinformed?) So, given the Domane is a quality road bike that has the ability to run up to 38mm tires I'm curious about where the "weight issue" is coming from.
i keep seeing people in various forums (this one includes ) and in YouTube comments (yes not the best place) repeat it.
Old 01-23-20, 08:11 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
I recently built up a Soma Fog Cutter for this reason, I'm riding 90% road. It can fit up to 700x42 / 650x47 tires, but I'm running it with 700x35 currently. I've only taken it on easy dirt paths so far and it handled those with ease.

Note that it is only sold as a frame so you'd have to pay a shop to build one if you can't.
Likes For katsup:
Old 01-23-20, 08:16 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
The complaints about the trivial weight gain of the Domane series should be ignored. Basically, the bike was re-designed to accommodate wider tires, and the wheels and tires are a bit heavier than racing wheels. The difference is less than the difference between a full and empty water bottle.

If I didn't already have something similar, I would get a Domane. (My "something similar" is a custom steel bike with similar specs. It weights more than the carbon Domane. This hasn't ruined my life.)

Get a bike that fits properly, and that can fit fat tires. Spend some money on really high-quality fat tires, like Compass/Rene Herse. Forget about the weight.

I weigh almost 200 lbs fully dressed. The bike weight difference is noise on the signal. I felt guilty about my Brooks saddle until I realized I could compensate by dropping 0.5 lb off my arse.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 01-23-20 at 08:22 PM.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 01-23-20, 09:31 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
I like the Cannondale Synapse as a long-legged fast bike. The AL 105 bike is my personal (budget) pick, but you can go all the way to Hi-mod Carbon Dura Ace if you want.
Comes with 28's, but there's a 105 'SE' model with mech disks and tubeless-ready 32mm wheels, (and a 48t instead of the 'road' 50t)
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 01-23-20, 09:51 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
That Domane is a solid choice. Unless you’re planning on paying your bills with bike race earnings, the trivial amount of difference is, well, trivial. People here and many other places will whine about differences measured in grams - GRAMS. Many of those same people could lose a few pounds, so seriously, don’t believe for a second that any difference between one year model to the next is gonna be a game changer. Empty your bladder and you’ll make up the difference.

That Domane looks like just what you’re looking for. And for the record, I’m no Trek or Domane fanboy.

-Kedosto

Edited to add: You did ask for any other recommendations so I’d suggest a look at the Specialized Diverge. The early Future Shock reviews were a little less than stellar, but those reviews are often from the same guys whining about the weight, so do your homework. And for the record here, I am a bit of a Specialized fanboy and probably would have begun my search there.

Last edited by Kedosto; 01-23-20 at 09:58 PM.
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 01-24-20, 12:23 AM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Weight is important. But it is way, way, overrated in terms of its proportional effect.
Likes For BengalCat:
Old 01-24-20, 06:18 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've got a Domane SL6, a great road bike and I have ridden it (with 32mm tires) on gravel stretches of local rides - the bike is fine on the gravel stretches, the tires (Continental GP5000s) are too narrow and too slick.. With 38mm tires with the right tread, it would be fine for those stretches. More than fine - the ISOspeed damping is really nice for small bumpy stuff..

But, I also do touring and some riding on towpath or 90% gravel rides and I ended up getting rid of two older bikes (an old hybrid beater bike I would use on dirt/gravel/towpaths, and my 25 year old Trek 520 touring bike). I weigh 225 and the wheels on any good road bike aren't made for my weight plus baggage on touring or extended use on rougher stuff. I picked up a Jamis Renegade, just did a few days touring in Florida on it (CycleBlaze Journal here) and really like that bike for touring and mostly unpaved rides, love my Domane for the 95% paved rides.

If I weighed less, I would have just stuck with the Domane for road riding and touring, and the old beater bike for the rough stuff. But, by going from 3 bikes to 2, I was able to justify buying the Jamis - doing an N-2+1!
Likes For jpescatore:
Old 01-24-20, 07:42 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
im looking for an endurance bike with some gravel capabilities, budget up to $4000 CAD. i anticipate I will be doing 60-70% road. So I really want to be able to go fast when I want to, and that’s why I have decided to shift my focus from gravel to endurance bikes (as they are faster and more comfortable)
Is this necessarily true? ie. Endurance faster and more comfortable (leaving the tires aside). What's the difference between a Domane and Checkpoint?
Actually I'm interested in what Cervelo has these days, and looking at a C3 (Endurance) vs Aspero (Gravel) -- I think it appears the Aspero is the more aggressively fit bike.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-24-20, 09:35 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 543 Posts
I seriously considered a Canyon Grail before purchasing a Spec Roubaix (Comp Di2 on sale). I think it's set up really well for someone wanting to do road and light off-road riding. The 105 level is probably in your budget.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 01-24-20, 10:41 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Is this necessarily true? ie. Endurance faster and more comfortable (leaving the tires aside).
Faster? I doubt it. Once you stick a set of 38mm gravel tires on an endurance bike, it basically IS a gravel bike, IMO.

More comfortable? No.

With road endurance bikes starting to fit fat tires (example: my Fog Cutter -marketed as “endurance” - fits 42s) the distinction between the two categories is getting pretty fuzzy.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-24-20, 11:08 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
For $4k I'd go Warbird or Warroad
Likes For Elvo:
Old 01-24-20, 11:46 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Hi again. Apologies for yet another thread. Based on the last feedback I got I have decided to ask yet another question. It’s pretty short this time.

also please feel free to throw some suggestions for other bikes to look at. I just want something with a relaxed geometry that can go fast (not as fast as a racing bike obviously) but I can still take on some light trails and gravel.
If I were in the market for a new endurance / gravel bike with a sizeable budget, I’d test ride everything I could find in my size that has a more relaxed geometry than a purpose built road racer.

Your assumption that an endurance bike is inherently faster than a gravel bike just isn’t true. The frame geometries are very similar across many brands, as are the groupsets. Frame weight varies by materials and design, but most are generally close. When you narrow your search down to the Best Buy’s for you, you can always select the lightest bike if that is of particular concern to you.

Really gets down to the wheels and tires and inner tubes if not tubeless. You can put widerer or thinner, more aggressive gravel or road tires on either. As you aren’t looking for the widest gravel wheels and tires currently available, any newer disc brake equipped endurance /gravel bike will have clearance for the widest road tires and good gravel tires should you decide to try them.

As an aside, I mostly ride an endurance bike with 28mm road tires. Very nice on any road surface, even extremely rough roads. Even handles well enough on packed dirt, low cropped grass, and packed gravel. Hard pack covered with loose rocks, blown sand or forest debris are quite slow and challenging. Anything looser is an accident waiting to happen.

Good luck and happy cycling.
Likes For Sapperc:
Old 01-24-20, 12:39 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,488 Times in 543 Posts
Keep in mind that 4k Canadian is just a bit over $3k USD.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 01-26-20, 10:38 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
What size tires do you think you'll be using? Most bikes can ride gravel but depends on what type. For me, I can get away with 32mm and be happy on any gravel around here that I ride. Check out Canyon bikes.The carbon Endurace is mighty high on my list...

Last edited by RockiesDad; 01-26-20 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-27-20, 08:20 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Keep in mind that 4k Canadian is just a bit over $3k USD.
I went to Oanda web site to see what the conversion would be like:

https://www1.oanda.com/currency/converter/

This says $1 US = $1.31418 Canadian

Then I went to a Canadian bike shop "Wheels of Bloor" web site

Wheels of Bloor - Toronto's #1 Road Bike Shop | Bikes

That model I think is quoted at Canadian dollars $8,000

Then I went to "Competitive Cyclist" and the assumption here is that the price is US dollars, maybe

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/c...plete-bike?s=a

US dollars $6,000
Likes For Garfield Cat:
Old 01-28-20, 05:48 PM
aabb

Originally Posted by RockiesDad
What size tires do you think you'll be using? Most bikes can ride gravel but depends on what type. For me, I can get away with 32mm and be happy on any gravel around here that I ride. Check out Canyon bikes.The carbon Endurace is mighty high on my list...
I called a few stores, and generally 32 seemed to be sufficient for gravel (but nothing crazy). So I think I will stick with that. Maybe get them to put tubeless tires
Old 01-28-20, 07:10 PM
frogmorton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I have a specialized Roubaix. You can, and I have, put 32mm tires on it.works good for light gravel. If I were to do it again I would get the Diverge. Very similar bike, but you can put up to 42mm on it and lots more mounting points for gear and bottles.
Likes For frogmorton:
Old 01-28-20, 07:33 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I ride about 70/30 pavement/gravel on my Fog Cutter. Pavement ranges from OK to really bad.

I run 38s (Compass Barlow Pass) and they seem perfect.

If gravel is in the mix, I can’t imagine getting a bike that can’t clear 38s.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-29-20, 08:12 AM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
I test rode a Domane a couple weeks ago. This was the 105 model. Yes, it's heavier than my current bike (Tarmac) but on the bike I didn't notice any extra weight. I think too many people get all caught up in how much a bike or a component weighs. I'm sure of you got on one of those 45 pound Walmart bikes you'd notice the weight. And if you race or you are a 120 pound pure climber weight may be a big factor. But for the vast majority of us a bike that is a half pound lighter than a different bike won't matter.
Likes For chadtrent:
Old 01-29-20, 09:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts

stay domestic?
Cycles Marinoni - Sterrato comes in a quality steel frame too. Not sure if prices are CAD or not though.
https://www.norco.com/bikes/road/gravel/ The Search has a ton of different models.
https://www.racycles.com/product/detail/19709 Argon 18 Dark Matter for $4200 CAD. GRX group, carbon, etc.
https://www.brodiebicycles.com/all-2020-romax multiple models

Or there are tons of mixed road/pavement plus options from Cannondale(synapse and topstone), Specialized, Giant, Cervelo, and more. Most modern endurance disc bikes can clear 32mm tires(or more), if thats all you are looking for.
Something that wont be mentioned is the Fairlight Strael 2.0 as comes in a huge number of sizes due to their R and T sizing, has road angles and trail measurements, can clear a 33mm tire, and uses quality tubing. the Shimano 105 build is below budget. https://fairlightcycles.com/product/...v=7516fd43adaa

As for the Domane being too heavy- thats absurd. It isnt lightweight, but it also isnt heavy. I always chuckle when someone buys a road bike that weighs 18# new, and puts frozen hose Gatorskin tires and a big wedge bag on it, whiich completely negates the point of the bike's design and spec. And this doesnt even begin to address rider weight and how that obviously totally changes any design intent for many road bikes. A 22# bike or a 19# bike shouldnt be a huge concern to most, even though it is.
- Find a bike with the geometry that you like(fit and handling).
- Buy what you can afford in terms of components.
- If you then want to upgrade either immediately or down the line, focus on tires and wheels as those will have the biggest impact on comfort, road feel, and effort.

Almost forgot- look into the Ribble CGR. It comes in multiple models and is continually well reviewed.
GT Grade too.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 01-29-20 at 09:15 AM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-29-20, 11:58 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 87 Posts

ironically I was in the same market as you recently and just picked up a 2018 Felt VR3 for $1900 original MSRP $3700 USD. For me it was the perfect balance of an endurance road geometry bike that has high end components, it's light 18.5lbs stock, 48/32 sub crank to climb, and has clearance officially up to 30mm but really can fit up to 35mm tires. I ride mostly 90% road but it was nice to have the option to put larger tires for the winter or if I wanted to tackle more broken pavement, packed dirt, or even some lite gravel. The bike is not race oriented but still is plenty fast but a lot more comfortable with it's frame design without the carbon chatter

maybe you can find a leftover VR3 for around $2K USD or the VR2 Di2 for sub $3K USD

Another poster had a good suggestion the Salsa Warbird is a great choice for 40mm tires and lots of mounts at 20 or less pounds depending on model. What it comes down to is how much "gravel" and what kind you will be actually riding

Last edited by Jrasero; 01-29-20 at 12:06 PM.
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 01-29-20, 12:04 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Pedal hard enough and any bike is the fastest of the day.

That said, I’m planning on buying a Domane SL5 in a couple months to ride road and gravel/light cx gravel grinder races. Looks like a great all-around bike at a fair price.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 01-29-20, 12:54 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
stay domestic?
Cycles Marinoni - Sterrato comes in a quality steel frame too. Not sure if prices are CAD or not though.
https://www.norco.com/bikes/road/gravel/ The Search has a ton of different models.
https://www.racycles.com/product/detail/19709 Argon 18 Dark Matter for $4200 CAD. GRX group, carbon, etc.
https://www.brodiebicycles.com/all-2020-romax multiple models

Or there are tons of mixed road/pavement plus options from Cannondale(synapse and topstone), Specialized, Giant, Cervelo, and more. Most modern endurance disc bikes can clear 32mm tires(or more), if thats all you are looking for.
Something that wont be mentioned is the Fairlight Strael 2.0 as comes in a huge number of sizes due to their R and T sizing, has road angles and trail measurements, can clear a 33mm tire, and uses quality tubing. the Shimano 105 build is below budget. https://fairlightcycles.com/product/...v=7516fd43adaa

As for the Domane being too heavy- thats absurd. It isnt lightweight, but it also isnt heavy. I always chuckle when someone buys a road bike that weighs 18# new, and puts frozen hose Gatorskin tires and a big wedge bag on it, whiich completely negates the point of the bike's design and spec. And this doesnt even begin to address rider weight and how that obviously totally changes any design intent for many road bikes. A 22# bike or a 19# bike shouldnt be a huge concern to most, even though it is.
- Find a bike with the geometry that you like(fit and handling).
- Buy what you can afford in terms of components.
- If you then want to upgrade either immediately or down the line, focus on tires and wheels as those will have the biggest impact on comfort, road feel, and effort.

Almost forgot- look into the Ribble CGR. It comes in multiple models and is continually well reviewed.
GT Grade too.
Are you US based? What was the cost of importing a Ribble? I was interested in their Titanium but in the end the VAT was a determining factor

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.