Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Difference A Tire Makes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Difference A Tire Makes

Old 07-07-20, 09:12 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by ririder
The nobs are the ones belittling the OP for buying tires that meet his needs. They weren't offering opinions,"Wait until you try an actual nice tire" and "My thought as well" are backhanded opinions at best. Is this a helpful comment? "Yeah lol
Is it really an opinion if it's a fact?

I mean, sure, "awesome OP, enjoy the ride" is certainly much more pleasant, but is that a helpful comment, too?

Maybe there's a happy medium. "Awesome OP, enjoy the ride. When you wear these out, try xyz tire. Many tests and anecdotes say it's faster and more comfortable".

But, eh, then we wouldn't get to hear about the OP railing those corners and calling everyone freds. It's a toss-up.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-07-20, 09:14 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by eduskator
He does not care about your opinion or argument on whatever rubber is the best of the industry, he said he was happy with the damn new tires, and wanted to share it with us. Let the man be happy and share is joy.
Well sure he does. That's why he created the thread in the first place, and then made his subsequent replies.

Friends don't let friends ride slow tires... (though the competition is another story entirely).
Old 07-07-20, 09:16 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Roadies_Rok
If you truly want to hear some stories let's get onto a Zoom chat and I'll dish the news to you. Have you met Eddie Merckx, or Bjarne Riss, or Sr. GS Mengoni, or Gibby Hatton, or George Hinicapie, or Fast Freddy Rodriguez? I have meet all of them and more. .
But have you raced any of them?

Those would be stories worth hearing!
Old 07-07-20, 09:50 AM
pullings

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I'm curious... do you disagree with the comment: "The tires you bought are actually more like the junky ones bike makers put on stock bikes"

I agree, if the OP thinks Ultra Sports ride nice, wait until riding a nice tire of the same size and pressure.
Could you provide a recommendation along usable metrics please?
"nice"? Hehehehe. Your kidding, right?
Every self-identified "Elite" (yours included) response did not even offer up one iota of usable product information or data to back it up!

Here is something for the OP.
FYI Ultra Sport II ride very well......as far as durability is concerned they are quite lacking compared to some other tires I recently purchased. They wear OK and deliver good mileage.
That said too much tire contacts road after about 50% into usable life....slowing things down.
My speed increased considerably with Ultra Sports as well when I dumped the stock Giant (Giant TCR standard PS-2 wheelset) tires.
Old 07-07-20, 09:54 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3251 Post(s)
Liked 2,075 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by pullings
Could you provide a recommendation along usable metrics please?
"nice"? Hehehehe. Your kidding, right?
Every self-identified "Elite" (yours included) response did not even offer up one iota of usable product information or data to back it up!

Here is something for the OP.
FYI Ultra Sport II ride very well......as far as durability is concerned they are quite lacking compared to some other tires I recently purchased. They wear OK and deliver good mileage.
That said too much tire contacts road after about 50% into usable life....slowing things down.
My speed increased considerably with Ultra Sports as well when I dumped the stock Giant (Giant TCR standard PS-2 wheelset) tires.
GP 5000s, can be had for around 35 bucks and are a much better tire IMO.
Why is anything anyone here "elite". Sounds like you have an ax to grind. God forbid someone enjoy the fruits of their labor.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 07-07-20, 09:55 AM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by pullings
These aren't elite responses. More like Cat 4 responses.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-07-20, 10:54 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
I read again the OP’s initial post, I never saw or inferred anything to suggest a slap to anyone else and their tire choice. Tire selection and Preferred pressure are a very subjective matter to most cyclist.

I don’t think we will ever know the most ultimate cycling tire overall because of such a diverse group us cyclist and what works for each. More than tire brand I see the argument of width as a driving and constant argument more than anything.

I suggest we all go ride and breathe in some fresh, hopefully devoid of C19 air!
Old 07-07-20, 04:46 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I've been riding and enjoying my Litespeed Arenberg for about 2 months now and have always had in the back of my head getting different tires once I got enough mileage on or wore out the Michelin Pro4 Service Course 700 x 23 tires and sooner came rather than later on Sunday. I was pumping the tires to go for a ride and I noticed bulges in the sidewalls and that the latex was shreding off the sidewalls (the tires have skinwalls) and right then and there I figured it was time to get new tires on the bike before i blew one out carving a turn.

I knew which tires I want to use, the Continental Ultra Sport II in size 700 x 25 and I went out today and bought a set. I actually got the Ultra Sport III (slightly different tread pattern) and put them on my bike and went out for a test ride and OMG what a difference!! Using my go to pressure calculator Bicycle tire pressure calculator I was able to lower the pressure about 10 lbs in each tire and oh man what a difference a tire can make! Anyone who has seen my posts knows what a fan boy I am for Ti bikes well the Ti bike with the wider tires/lower pressure I thought I had gone to heaven. I can't want to get out and hammer tomorrow.
get 28's of high quality and enjoy

your welcome
Old 07-07-20, 06:55 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
But have you raced any of them?

Those would be stories worth hearing!
I have. Mostly saw their backs.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-07-20, 07:32 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Homebrew01
I have. Mostly saw their backs.
Who, when, and where? That's quite a time range.
Old 07-07-20, 09:04 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Who, when, and where? That's quite a time range.
In the '80s, P,1,2 races. No real stories to tell. Hincapie was a Junior racing P12 at a criterium.
Gibby also showed at a few.
7-11, Mengoni...
I was "pack fodder".
Did a sponsor casual ride with Davis Phinney. A couple of guys took off, while Davis rode with us. I always wondered if those 2 guys bragged about "dropping" him.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 07-07-20 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-07-20, 11:10 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
In the '80s, P,1,2 races. No real stories to tell. Hincapie was a Junior racing P12 at a criterium.
Gibby also showed at a few.
7-11, Mengoni...
I was "pack fodder".
Did a sponsor casual ride with Davis Phinney. A couple of guys took off, while Davis rode with us. I always wondered if those 2 guys bragged about "dropping" him.
Davis always had good stories of the Peloton to tell. I saw Gibby race at T-Town. He was absolutely lethal in the Kierin. He would not back down. He had darn good Junior program back in the 90’s.
Old 07-10-20, 03:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I knew which tires I want to use, the Continental Ultra Sport II in size 700 x 25 and I went out today and bought a set. I actually got the Ultra Sport III (slightly different tread pattern) and put them on my bike and went out for a test ride and OMG what a difference!!
I've mostly ridden Conti Ultra Sport II on a couple of road bikes for two years. Outstanding bargain tires. They perform exactly as described on the rolling resistance test site, including remarkably good performance at reduced pressure on chipseal.

They aren't quite as nimble and responsive as the Schwalbe One V-Guards I used to ride, but the Contis are much tougher. The Schwalbes nicked and cut easily. Both were comparable in wet and dry grip for my non-competitive purposes. I usually rode those with Conti's ultra-thin Race 28 Light tubes, never had any problems with punctures. Maybe one puncture flat in almost three years.

I switched one road bike to Conti Grand Prix Classics, their handmade skinwalls, and like 'em. They don't ride significantly better than the Ultra Sport II, but the GP Classic has a much thinner sidewall (translucent through the skinwall), and Black Chili vs Pure Grip rubber compound. They're 700x25 only, and a tight fit on my '89 road bike -- there's barely enough clearance under the rear brake bridge. But paired with latex tubes the ride is really nice. Good tires for a little more money than the Ultra Sport II, although since the pandemic hit the price has increased about $10 per tire.
Old 07-10-20, 04:48 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I had an experience that was similar to the OP. Went from 23 clinchers with 120/100 psi to Mavic UST with 90/75 psi. Night and day.