Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Do you think it's necessary ....

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-17, 05:44 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Liked 1,413 Times in 904 Posts

to have a recumbent Trike subforum here?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-08-17, 06:58 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 759 Times in 467 Posts
I think that recumbents are a small enough group that they don't need to be further subdivided.
Old 11-08-17, 07:29 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 350 Times in 228 Posts
What he said. ^^^^^
Many 'bent riders have both bike and trike.
Old 11-08-17, 09:42 PM

Bikes: 2017 Nishiki Maricopa.

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
No, just rename the forum "Recumbent Bikes, Trikes and More" It's disappointing that it only ever seems to have single digit viewing. There is more potential there.
Old 11-08-17, 10:02 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

That's why I offered to add it. I think that perhaps more people would talk about their trikes if there were a subforum. But maybe the name change would help.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 11-08-17, 11:33 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Liked 826 Times in 423 Posts
I would be OK with a rename- most of the recumbent bike owners I know have also caught the trike bug. We're getting old & slow, so trikes have the advantage of not falling over.

FWIW: I have 2 recumbent bikes in in my garage (plus my wife's) and 3 uprights. I also was part of a company building recumbent trikes back in the early '80's.

"Specialization is for insects."
Robert Heinlein

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 11-09-17, 11:42 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Nope - see my post in 50+

I have a trike, but have never ridden a 2 wheel bent. Nevertheless, I enjoy reading about the "other folks". I believe that a lot of posts include discussion of both bikes and trikes. I'd really hate to see that liveliness disappear into 2 separate corners.
Old 11-09-17, 11:43 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

I see you've also asked this in other forums, so you're not specifically referring to splitting up the recumbents. I'm still not sure it's a good idea to split off such a small group, but ... maybe! Would 'trikes' include velomobiles?
Old 11-09-17, 11:54 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I see you've also asked this in other forums, so you're not specifically referring to splitting up the recumbents. I'm still not sure it's a good idea to split off such a small group, but ... maybe! Would 'trikes' include velomobiles?

No, it's not really splitting it. It would be in this forum but under an additional header. Kind of like when you go to the mechanics forum, you will see an additional header for industry mechanics. The reason for that is so that people who want to look at threads about trikes will be able to go to one spot.
Old 11-09-17, 06:21 PM
FBOATSB

Liked 559 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
No, it's not really splitting it. It would be in this forum but under an additional header. Kind of like when you go to the mechanics forum, you will see an additional header for industry mechanics. The reason for that is so that people who want to look at threads about trikes will be able to go to one spot.
I don't see this, but anyway, I look at it like building up any frame. If you don't get the expected results you can always change it back.
Old 11-09-17, 07:17 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I don't see this, but anyway, I look at it like building up any frame. If you don't get the expected results you can always change it back.

Click here https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/ and the first thing you see is "Industry related"

It has it's own subforum. You can start threads in there. https://www.bikeforums.net/industry-related/
Old 11-10-17, 07:04 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Liked 138 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Click here https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/ and the first thing you see is "Industry related"

It has it's own subforum. You can start threads in there. https://www.bikeforums.net/industry-related/
I don't see it either, and when I click on the 2nd link you have there, I get an insufficient privileges error.

In any event, I don't think you want posts in the trike sub-sub-forum to appear in a different list than the posts in the 'regular' recumbent sub-forum. As others have said, the pie is already too small to subdivide. It will make the place look even deader than it already is.

I also agree with the idea of tweaking the name, and perhaps the line under the main page that currently says "What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum."

I think it's a little off putting, for both those who like recumbents and those who don't. The first bit slightly demeaning, annoying those who ride recumbents. And the second half of the second sentence gets slightly into the adversarial us vs. them BS that I think is unhealthy. Unhealthy in that it's potentially off putting to those who don't ride recumbents now, but are potentially interested in them, but hate 'bents are superior' evangelism.

Last edited by Steamer; 11-10-17 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-10-17, 08:21 AM
BlazingPedals

Well put, Steamer, about the pie and the sub-title. The sub-title has always bothered me a little. I mean, "what is that thing" may have been appropriate 20 years ago when recumbents were a lot less common, but now? It's past time to modernize that, at least.
Old 11-10-17, 08:20 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Liked 350 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Well put, Steamer, about the pie and the sub-title. The sub-title has always bothered me a little. I mean, "what is that thing" may have been appropriate 20 years ago when recumbents were a lot less common, but now? It's past time to modernize that, at least.
Agree, too.

I would suggest just changing the forum title to Recumbent Bikes and Trikes or Recumbents - Bikes and Trikes or similar. Recumbent works better as an adjective than a noun because 'bent bike fans think that it means bikes and 'bent trike fans think it refers to trikes. And many know it means both.