Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Bike- assembly rushed?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 03-25-22, 07:29 AM
snowcreek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

New bike. the problem? I rushed the shop without realizing it. I assumed the bikes were all assembled and ready to go but when I got to the shop after an hour notice I realized the owner had to rush to get the bike together. Not understand things like a trued wheel- I didnt see an issue. Now that I am home I am thinking I rushed the guy and the slight wobble in my new wheels should not be there. The shifting seems a little...off... too
Should I bring it back and ask to have it tuned?
Or did I make my own bed by accidently rushing the owner?

I feel bad for giving the guy an hours notice- but he could have said he needed more time too..

That said- it does ride
Old 03-25-22, 07:35 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by snowcreek
New bike. the problem? I rushed the shop without realizing it. I assumed the bikes were all assembled and ready to go but when I got to the shop after an hour notice I realized the owner had to rush to get the bike together. Not understand things like a trued wheel- I didnt see an issue. Now that I am home I am thinking I rushed the guy and the slight wobble in my new wheels should not be there. The shifting seems a little...off... too
Or did I make my own bed by accidently rushing the owner?

I feel bad for giving the guy an hours notice- but he could have said he needed more time too..

That said- it does ride
Take it back.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-25-22, 07:49 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
At the end of the day there's this: You have no obligation to make him happy. He earns his living by making you happy.

That's what he's already tried to do. He tried to make you happy by hurrying the assembly of the bike that you said you wanted to buy. Now he deserves a second chance to make you really happy by tuning the bike the way that you really want.
Old 03-25-22, 07:57 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
None of the issues you are having are that unusual.

The shop isn't really going to care if you take it back to have them tweak it.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-25-22, 08:50 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
It is difficult to say if you pushed the shop too fast to get the bike to you. But every bike needs some minor tweaking after it is delivered and ridden for a while. Typically within a month or so the bike should go back to make those adjustments.

Now if you really did cut his time short, it is not an issue for the shop, since less time was spent initially. Ironically, you’ll be put in the queue to get these things done.

John
Old 03-25-22, 08:57 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 408 Posts
Kind of odd that brand new wheels are out of true. Or did the shop built the wheels themselves and not getting them true was a result of the rush?

Dan
Old 03-25-22, 09:18 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
The owner should have said he needs more time but probably didn't want the confrontation. I would take it back immediately and tell him that you apologize if you rushed him and ask him if he can tune the bike better. You should also be able to take the bike back for a free tune-up once the parts have had time to wear in a little. Cables stretch, wheels get out of true and sometimes fasteners need tightening. That used to be around 30 days after purchase. Not sure what they do now though.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 03-25-22, 09:49 AM
Rolla

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Just take it back and leave it with him for a couple of days so he can take his time.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-25-22, 11:39 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 839 Times in 407 Posts
I find that a friendly, patient attitude can usually get you to a good place with any shop owner. Just be that kind of customer they wish for and let them do their thing.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 03-25-22, 07:06 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Take it back, admit you made him rush it, offer to offset some of the cost of the redo or maybe take them some homemade cookies as a peace offering. I take my LBS cookies every year right after thanksgiving, they always look forward to it. Sometimes I will throw in some other type of baked good. The goodwill will take your far

Old 03-25-22, 07:37 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by snowcreek
Since you are seeking permission, it means you expect either a yes or a no answer.

I would not bring it back because I can DIY all the issues.

This is a great opportunity for you to start.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 03-25-22, 07:49 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,278 Times in 1,100 Posts
As mentioned, take it back. There is certainly a warranty and as already mentioned, this is not an unusual event. It isn't my intention to insult you, but since you asked if it would appropriate to take it back, I assume you don't have the experience to correct any of these things in a DIY manner, and there is nothing wrong with that. But you can hose a wheel quickly trying to true it if you don't have the experience. Don't void your warranty.

Old 03-25-22, 08:22 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
In 2016 I retired and bought a bicycle from a local LBS near me in the spring time frame. The LBS had a bunch of bicycles to assemble, so they hired two off the street people to help put them together(the owner told me this). I had to wait about a month for it. On my first ride it would not shift to the third chain ring. After a few miles playing with the terrible shifting I made a U-turn to head home and the handle bar shifted out of it's front bracket. I almost took a nose dive. I returned the bicycle as I had no confidence in the bicycle or the LBS at that point. The LBS took it back no problem and I went to another LBS further from my house and had a great experience in getting a new bicycle that worked correctly out of the gate. Like you I called them weekly to see when it would be ready and I felt I pushed them some. But in the end they cut corners that they should not have.
Old 03-25-22, 09:27 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Bikes ALWAYS need a bit of minor tuning post assembly. Wobbling wheels are another matter and without more info I won’t speculate.

I would return the bike and explain your feelings of having “rushed” the assembly. For good measure (and good will) I would be sure to include something along the lines of a complimentary “I’m sure this example doesn’t reflect your true abilities,” and then be patient while they get it right.

If they don’t (or can’t) get it right after that, you might want to look for other options.
Old 03-25-22, 11:36 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
There is a saying:
People don't have time to do it right the first time, but have the time to do it over again
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 03-26-22, 06:38 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
I had to teach our staff to learn to say "no" when it came to rushing an assembly. We had happier customers in the long run when we allowed ourselves the proper amount of time to assemble and adjust a bike. The shop would have better off telling you to come back the next day.
Old 03-26-22, 07:05 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
The shops I worked at used an assembly checklist for each bike, signed by the mechanic and with a shop sticker on each frame with the mechanic's initials on it. The assembly was not complete until the bike was test ridden, the sheet signed and the sticker in place. We would not be rushed on any assembly. Things might be different these days.

To paraphrase the line above, if they don't have time to do it right when will they have time to do it over?
Old 03-26-22, 08:07 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Kind of odd that brand new wheels are out of true. Or did the shop built the wheels themselves and not getting them true was a result of the rush?

Dan
Almost all brand new wheels need to be trued and tensioned, especially in this modern day of machine-built wheels. Not all shops do it on all bikes before they deliver them, but they should.
Old 03-26-22, 06:06 PM
Vintage Schwinn

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 254 Posts
Ssshh, you aren't supposed to tell everyone that bike shops do make some of same mistakes as the assemblers working at Walmart/Target/Dicks Sporting Goods!!

Take it back.
Old 03-26-22, 07:45 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Every time I've bought a new bike (three in the past five years) the shop included a tune-up with the purchase. They asked me to bring it in after 300-500 miles for adjustments. If this was the case with your bike, and you can put a few hundred miles on it as is, I'd ride it for a while before bringing it in. Cables stretch, for one thing, and likely need adjustment. If it's not ridable as is, then bring it in now.
Old 03-26-22, 07:58 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_

Dan
It's not that odd for cheap new wheels made for disc brakes and trued by a machine to have slight wobble. ALL of them does and it's not an issue on disc brake bikes.

Machine truing will give higher priority to proper spoke tension than getting the rim perfectly true. It is much faster way to "true" a wheel. Ironically, such method actually gives you stronger, longer-lasting wheel. But this only works on disc brakes. Rim brake bikes will always need perfectly trued wheels, no exceptions.

This why the dirt cheap and low end market favor the disc brakes because the braking system doesn't require perfect truing and is a lot faster to make.
Old 03-26-22, 09:28 PM
snowcreek

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. Its a Kona Dew. I asked to have it tuned up for free. Perhaps the wheels are fine and a slight wobble is normal- I have no Idea! The bike is solid- the shop owner himself put it together and its a 30+ year shop. Legit. But it is a buisiness and if a "noob" like me admitted to the owner I had not ridden for the better part of a decade, then I could understand why he may have decided to let me buy a not so well finished product- for the sake of further profits on the back end with maintenance in the future. Sound cynical? It is... But such is life
Old 03-26-22, 09:29 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
The owner should have said he needs more time but probably didn't want the confrontation. I would take it back immediately and tell him that you apologize if you rushed him and ask him if he can tune the bike better.
This 100%. You might have said an hour, and when it was my day job, getting a bike out the door in 20-30 min from box to built was easy. But if it wasn't working the customer could stand there tapping their feet for all I cared, it wasn't done till it was done right. Nothing wrong with saying I think maybe I rushed you since there seems to be something wrong, but he also should have never let himself be rushed.

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
maybe take them some homemade cookies as a peace offering. I take my LBS cookies every year right after thanksgiving, they always look forward to it.
Best is a box of entenmann's chocolate chip cookies or similar and a 2l of coke.
Though smart customers who knew they needed their race bike the next day showed up at 11 with a pizza and coke so you could work through lunch on their bike.