Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Show us your tandem!

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Show us your tandem!

Old 09-12-21, 01:58 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Finally! The stars aligned and we got our new Co Motion Java out for a good ride!

Old 09-13-21, 09:05 AM
mbliven

Bikes: Rodriguez travel tandem with Rohloff hub (2020), Rodriguez Phinney Ridge gravel bike (2021), Trek Al-carbon road bike (2015), Zebra Kenko retro road bike (~1981).

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Lovely tandem - how did it handle on your ride? What size wheels and tires do you have there? Also, I have to ask - how did you decide on the festive color scheme?
Old 09-13-21, 09:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by mbliven
Lovely tandem - how did it handle on your ride? What size wheels and tires do you have there? Also, I have to ask - how did you decide on the festive color scheme?
Thank you!

The Java handles like a dream! This captain is still working on tight turns, it's long and handles tight turns like the QE2, it's just a learning-curve (LOL).

It's running WTB Venture TCS 700c on CliffHanger 700c wheels; these tires will be great for our first big adventure: The Filthy 50 (weather permitting, the stoker is not stoked for the 'filthiest' 50 - the captain will ride a single if the weather is nasty)

The colors were the stoker pick, these are her favorite gemstones' colors, and we called this Java our 30th anniversary gift (much more fun than of a ring).

BTW - This is our first 'real' tandem, we have a '65 Schwinn Twinn that has never done a ride over 10 miles.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 09-14-21 at 07:20 AM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 09-13-21, 12:27 PM
mbliven

Bikes: Rodriguez travel tandem with Rohloff hub (2020), Rodriguez Phinney Ridge gravel bike (2021), Trek Al-carbon road bike (2015), Zebra Kenko retro road bike (~1981).

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Well, enjoy the Filthy 50. That looks like a pretty fun event, with the mix of gravel and pavement and the rolling hills. I hope you get cool overcast conditions, but no rain!
Likes For mbliven:
Old 09-15-21, 08:34 AM
jim_pridx

Bikes: 2010 Bob Brown Cycles tandem, 2019 Co-Mo Carrera tandem, 1980 Richardson tandem, 2014 Cervelo R3, 2018 Specialized Roubaix, 1985 Bianchi Campione, 1983 Trek 720, 2020 Trek Fuel EX8, 2021 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
BTW - This is our first 'real' tandem, we have a '65 Schwinn Twinn that has never done a ride over 10 miles.
Congrats on the Co-Motion! It's great to see you in the tandem forum, too!

BTW, I used to work in this building shortly after it was constructed:
Likes For jim_pridx:
Old 12-01-21, 01:55 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts

Our new tandem - Clementine. I'll be posting the build process which has been interesting. di2 in a steel frame poses some challenges.
Old 12-01-21, 08:25 PM
ianbal

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would be interested to hear your experience with Curtlo as well as the build process. Good luck with the new bike.
Likes For ianbal:
Old 12-01-21, 10:40 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts

I've got an early to mid-80s Gitane I've never been able to nail down. Currently running truvative 9sp cranks, with french thread Phil BB in the back and a standard sram in the front, I had to turn down an english thread eccentric to do that but 20.00 vs 200 made it an easy decision. Shifting is Dura Ace bar ends running friction. And riding on Velocity tandem wheels.
My wife has been wanting to get more serious about gravel riding and doing some longer rides on it so it'll be undergoing some revisions again this year.
Plan are...
ditch the V-brakes for much nicer cantis, even with the travel agent the brakes suck
New seatposts, the old ones are really light weight and I suspect weak. I think they're 25.0 but they were so chewed up when I got it I could never get a good reading on them.
Sand down a threadless adapter so I can run a stronger handlebar with a threadless stem.
Ditch the simplex for a tiagra triple front and a deore rear der to run a wider range cassette.
We've already run it with some 700x40 tires, so I know we can go gravel with plenty of clearance, neither of us are real powerhouses so I suspect it'll be a very comfy ride that won't be too whippey with out power levels.
Old 12-10-21, 05:20 PM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
new to us Schwinn Twinn. Bought from a guy that said he used it one time, looks new and lucky for us - its in a large size which apparently means 22" front and 18" rear C-T.

My wife and I ride together on our own bikes and since I ride quite a bit more than she does, its harder to stay together. for an Entry Level the Twinn gets pretty good reviews on Amazon, but the bottom bracket is low with the 26" stock wheelset causing some pedal strike. I happen to have a 700 Wheelset set up for Disc Brakes that I may try to swap in to solve this issue and considering junking the cheap suspension fork for a rigid aluminum, carbon or chromoly. our intended use is rail trails, possibly the Katy Trail, the Mickelson this summer and some local off road trails. I spend quite a bit of time on my vintage Steel bikes so this will be new and different.

Question: is it set up like a fixie where both have to pedal all the time, or can one person freewheel while the other pedals? Looking forward to reading this forum to learn more about this before we do our maiden voyage

Last edited by justcynn; 12-10-21 at 05:24 PM.
Likes For justcynn:
Old 12-11-21, 07:47 AM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
There is a timing chain so both will have to pedal at the same time.
I very much doubt you can put 700c wheels on that bike - there will not be enough clearance at the fork, or probably rear triangle either.
Sounds like you re new to tandems, so I'd suggest giving it a try as is before putting any energy into modifying it - you really won't know what does and doesn't work for you until you give it a try!
Old 12-13-21, 07:59 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by justcynn
new to us Schwinn Twinn. Bought from a guy that said he used it one time, looks new and lucky for us - its in a large size which apparently means 22" front and 18" rear C-T.

My wife and I ride together on our own bikes and since I ride quite a bit more than she does, its harder to stay together. for an Entry Level the Twinn gets pretty good reviews on Amazon, but the bottom bracket is low with the 26" stock wheelset causing some pedal strike. I happen to have a 700 Wheelset set up for Disc Brakes that I may try to swap in to solve this issue and considering junking the cheap suspension fork for a rigid aluminum, carbon or chromoly. our intended use is rail trails, possibly the Katy Trail, the Mickelson this summer and some local off road trails. I spend quite a bit of time on my vintage Steel bikes so this will be new and different.

Question: is it set up like a fixie where both have to pedal all the time, or can one person freewheel while the other pedals? Looking forward to reading this forum to learn more about this before we do our maiden voyage

I have the same bike. My wife and I have done the entire Katy Trail, Great Allegany Passage, and most of the C&O trail on it. I have heavily modified the bike as things have broken or worn out.
One of the first things was getting rid of the suspension fork. That alone went a long way to stop the pedal striking the ground. This fork works well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The cheap seats and pedals went next. My wife uses the old school pedal straps to keep her feet from slipping off the pedals when I shift gears. Yes you both have to pedal at the same time.
The stock wheels lasted only about 2000 miles. Replacing them was somewhat difficult as the rear used a 7-speed freewheel - not a cassette. It's very difficult to find a wheel with a freewheel AND disc brake. You can get an 8-speed cassette wheel and put on a 7-speed cassette with an adapter ring. We did that for a while. However the granny gear wasn't quite low enough for some hills.
Therefore I switch the tandem over to an 8-speed with an 11-34T cassette. To do this you need a rear wheel that can take an 8-speed cassette, an 8-speed rear derailleur, and an 8-speed shifter. It was a great upgrade.
Tip: If you plan on doing any touring, carry a tandem rear derailleur cable and a rear brake cable. They are about 3000-35000 mm long. Many bike shops don't carry them and you'll really be out of luck if one breaks. Plus you can cut the cables shorter if something on the front snaps.
There's much, much more that I can tell you about the bike. PM me or send me an email at whittle at charter.net if you want more information.
Old 12-14-21, 06:46 PM
justcynn

Bikes: Lots of Schwinns

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 114 Posts
[QUOTE=JerrySTL;22338365]I have the same bike. My wife and I have done the entire Katy Trail, Great Allegany Passage, and most of the C&O trail on it. I have heavily modified the bike as things have broken or worn out.
One of the first things was getting rid of the suspension fork. That alone went a long way to stop the pedal striking the ground. This fork works well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The cheap seats and pedals went next. My wife uses the old school pedal straps to keep her feet from slipping off the pedals when I shift gears. Yes you both have to pedal at the same time.
The stock wheels lasted only about 2000 miles. Replacing them was somewhat difficult as the rear used a 7-speed freewheel - not a cassette. It's very difficult to find a wheel with a freewheel AND disc brake. You can get an 8-speed cassette wheel and put on a 7-speed cassette with an adapter ring. We did that for a while. However the granny gear wasn't quite low enough for some hills.
Therefore I switch the tandem over to an 8-speed with an 11-34T cassette. To do this you need a rear wheel that can take an 8-speed cassette, an 8-speed rear derailleur, and an 8-speed shifter. It was a great upgrade.
Tip: If you plan on doing any touring, carry a tandem rear derailleur cable and a rear brake cable. They are about 3000-35000 mm long. Many bike shops don't carry them and you'll really be out of luck if one breaks. Plus you can cut the cables shorter if something on the front snaps.
There's much, much more that I can tell you about the bike. PM me or send me an email at whittle at charter.net if you want more information.[/

thank you for the great info, this is very helpful!
Old 12-23-21, 09:38 PM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts

This our Silverback Duel Limited Edition(whatever THAT means lol)3x9 sport tandem. It has Ultegra rr der, Sora frt and Altus shifters and levers. Tektro calipers, cf fork. The gearing is 30-42-52x12-32. Alex dw set. 40h rr, 36h frt. Conti Gatorskin 700x23mm. Saddles are no name that we'll upgrade at some point. The ride is solid, steady and predictable.. We're using platforms while gaining experience. We'll upgrade to dual-sided spds when we're ready. Shifting is smooth and accurate. Would like to move to mechanical disc at some point, but the rim brakes are fine for now. Money well spent to get us started. We thought about touring with it, but it has limits that makes it not suitable for a lengthy tour. All in all a very nice bike. 👍

Last edited by GhenghisKahn; 12-23-21 at 10:00 PM.
Likes For GhenghisKahn:
Old 01-11-22, 06:01 PM
galyons
the dream shall never die

Bikes: Cannondale RT3000 Tandem Cannondale R900 CAAD 8 Campy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
New to us and newly refurbished. 2002 Cannondale RT3000. Ultegra groupo with Deore XT RD and V-brakes. Has a rear drum brake. New chains, FD shift cable and housing, seats, handlebar wrap, brake shoes and lots'a cleaning and adjusting. Ready to ride. The wife is not a cyclist, so let the journey begin! Hopefully joy to follow!

Last edited by galyons; 01-12-22 at 12:26 AM.
Likes For galyons:
Old 01-15-22, 03:55 PM
Hproduguidon

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 126 Posts
ma trouvaille du jour
gitane
Likes For Hproduguidon:
Old 01-15-22, 10:31 PM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Love these sunny winter days
Attached Images
Likes For antmaster5000:
Old 01-15-22, 11:30 PM
7up

Bikes: Aurelia*Bianchi*Cannondale*Colnago*Dahon*Giant*Haro*Lynsky*Monkey Faction*Origin8*Panasonic*Paramont*Peugeot*Ross*Schwinn*SE*Specialized*Trek

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
This is my Schwinn Mini-Twinn

Last edited by 7up; 01-15-22 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-17-22, 01:23 AM
2flit
2Flit

Location: Orcas Washington and currently Circumnavigating in a Farrier F36 Trimaran

Bikes: 1968 Rene Herse Gentleman's Bike; 1974/5 Jim Merz Custom-built; 1984 Rodriquez tandem; 2012 Bilenky Tandem; 1967 Cinelli SC; 1984 Specialized Exp. 68cm; 1971 Holdsworth 63cm(my first bike ever and owned since new!); 1994 Bridgestone MB5; 86'Trek420

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 35 Posts
This is our Bilenky Travel Tandem that we cycled across the south island of New Zealand on and across Europe... and a few other places.

A good side view of the S&S coupled tandem

Canal de Midi France

The start of the Molseworth, New Zealand

A pilgrimage to our bag maker

Somewhere in Tours

Front Wheel Bistro

The Tandem packs into two airline bags This is the first....

... and this is the second bag

Last edited by 2flit; 01-17-22 at 02:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-17-22, 04:36 PM
Wheels4

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo and Santana

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts
This is our Santana. I actually posted about it under a different screenname, but have since started using my original account on here. Anyways... I bought it about 4-5 months ago and the plan was to get back into cycling and help my wife get back into shape while recovering from Breast cancer treatment. So far, we have been on a couple of rides and she is doing really great! We are both enjoying it.

Old 01-21-22, 12:48 PM
motochick 

Bikes: '80 Medici Tourismo, '82 Merckx, '85 Peugeot PSN10, '86 Ironman, '89 Trek 520, '96 Steelman, '96 Torelli CX, '97 Friday Two'sDay, '02 CoMo Speedster, '09 Giant Reign, '10 Canfield, '13 Turner DHR, '16 Chase BMX

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 51 Posts
Here is our new-to-us, highly modified from original, 2002 Co-Motion Speedster. And yes, we are highly allergic to black bike parts, hoping to get some red pedals for the front soon!

2002 Co-Motion Speedster

Gotta love those pedals
Likes For motochick:
Old 01-23-22, 07:09 PM
mbliven

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Can you explain the purpose of the stoker's bar end levers? One for the rear rim brake, perhaps? What does the other one control? I've never seen a set up like that.
Old 01-23-22, 07:18 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 553 Posts
Originally Posted by motochick
Here is our new-to-us, highly modified from original, 2002 Co-Motion Speedster. And yes, we are highly allergic to black bike parts, hoping to get some red pedals for the front soon!

2002 Co-Motion Speedster

Gotta love those pedals
the price of this pedals jumped a lot in the last couple of months.
Old 01-23-22, 10:21 PM
Wheels4

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo and Santana

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts
Can you explain the purpose of the stoker's bar end levers? One for the rear rim brake, perhaps? What does the other one control? I've never seen a set up like that.
I thought I read, in another thread, that they moved the shifting duties to the stoker. I believe they used a custom attachment(where the water bottle cage mounts) for cables to make it work. I thought it was pretty cool, myself.
Old 01-25-22, 05:36 PM
motochick 

Bikes: '80 Medici Tourismo, '82 Merckx, '85 Peugeot PSN10, '86 Ironman, '89 Trek 520, '96 Steelman, '96 Torelli CX, '97 Friday Two'sDay, '02 CoMo Speedster, '09 Giant Reign, '10 Canfield, '13 Turner DHR, '16 Chase BMX

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 51 Posts
This was my husbands idea/doing. I am the stoker and I do the shifting via Campy bar end shifters. There were no cable stops where we needed them for this to work so we made some. It works super awesome, I doubt we will ever go back to the captain shifting unless I lose the ability to do so physically.

the price of this pedals jumped a lot in the last couple of months
Really? I haven't bought new ones in a while, we have 7 sets or so but I need to get some more as our bike hoarding has gotten worse! LOL. Even having to pay more is worth it for the ability to pedal correctly.
Old 01-26-22, 11:15 AM
antmaster5000

Bikes: BMC TeamMachine, Surly Pacer, All City Big Block

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by motochick
This was my husbands idea/doing. I am the stoker and I do the shifting via Campy bar end shifters. There were no cable stops where we needed them for this to work so we made some. It works super awesome, I doubt we will ever go back to the captain shifting unless I lose the ability to do so physically.

Really? I haven't bought new ones in a while, we have 7 sets or so but I need to get some more as our bike hoarding has gotten worse! LOL. Even having to pay more is worth it for the ability to pedal correctly.
Very interesting idea having the stoker shift. Does the captain need to communicate for certain shifting situations that you might not be able to see? You would have a lot less cable distance with the stoker shifting which would improve shifting quality a lot. As the captain of our rig I definitely like shifting (and my stoker would not be interested in taking over these responsibilities) but I applaud you for going against the grain here!
Likes For antmaster5000:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.