Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Quick links / powerlinks are a single use item?!

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-04-22, 10:16 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts

I've been running quick links (or SRAM power links) on my 11sp Shimano and SRAM chains for a few years. I like being able to quickly remove the chain for cleaning.

I was listening to Cyclingtips "Nerd Alert" podcast over the weekend and they were talking about chain waxing - and during that segment someone mentioned that you should not re-use the quick link after you've unlocked it. I was super confused by this, as I've unlocked and re-locked the quick links on my chains many times and never noticed an issue. I assumed it had something to do with chain waxing (which I've never done), but after reading more I'm now seeing that manufacturers say these are single-use items and once you've unlocked, you should remove and replace with a new one.

Does anyone know why? Have I just been super lucky that I've never had an issue with mine? I definitely do not want to risk breaking a chain while out riding and will start tossing these after one use, but I'm curious if this is common knowledge or if anyone has seen one break after re-using?
Old 04-04-22, 10:29 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Some quick links are single use. You can probably re-use them a few times until they become too easy to close or open.
Old 04-04-22, 10:37 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2222 Post(s)
Liked 3,407 Times in 1,779 Posts
I use Shimano single-use quick-links for the lifetime of the chain with no issue. I open them up and re-close them twice a month. I still need the chain pliers to do so. If I had any hint that this created any real danger, I would not do it. I am very paranoid about falling.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-04-22, 10:42 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,386 Times in 2,049 Posts
Depends on manufacturer and model/speed.

​​​​​​https://www.kmcchain.us/Frequently-A...s_ep_43-1.html
Old 04-04-22, 12:04 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I reuse all of them, it’s fairly easy to tell when they’re bad
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 04-04-22, 12:16 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
The story I've heard is that SRAM (or some other brand) grabs the patent for reusable quick-links whenever a new chain "speed" comes out. In order not to infringe on that patent, other brands must mark theirs as one-time-use only. Of course, in reality, people find that they can re-use quick links from many brands without dying. (Ever notice that this issue seems to follow the chains with the highest number of speeds?)

If I'm wrong, I expect Cunningham's Law to kick in...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 04-04-22 at 12:19 PM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 04-04-22, 12:30 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
The story I've heard is that SRAM (or some other brand) grabs the patent for reusable quick-links whenever a new chain "speed" comes out. In order not to infringe on that patent, other brands must mark theirs as one-time-use only. Of course, in reality, people find that they can re-use quick links from many brands without dying. (Ever notice that this issue seems to follow the chains with the highest number of speeds?)

If I'm wrong, I expect Cunningham's Law to kick in...
Does SRAM say that it's OK to re-use Powerlinks? The internet seems to vary on this answer. I no longer have the original packaging for the ones I bought (a few years ago), but I was going to order some new ones. If there is a brand that says they are OK to re-use, I'd prefer those. Replacing each time I clean my chain seems crazy and annoying and/or will result in me not removing my chain to clean it.
Old 04-04-22, 12:39 PM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I reuse all of them, it’s fairly easy to tell when they’re bad
Just for the sake of people who may be slower on the uptake than others... what exactly should one look for when determining if the link is bad or not?

I typically use a Park Tools Master Link Pliers (MLP 1.2) to remove and re-install. They don't need a lot of effort to unlock, but seems like enough that I've never worried (until now) that it might come undone while riding. They kind of "snap" back in pace on re-install.

I would worry if they didn't snap back in place or seemed really easy to unlock, but so far I've not encountered that. I've got 1500-2000 miles on one now that has been opened/closed at least a dozen times for cleaning.
Old 04-04-22, 12:41 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Wippermann Connex are advertised as multi-use quick-links that don't require tools.

I feel safer using Shimano, which requires a tool to get them apart (and in my experience) to get them back together.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-04-22, 12:43 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by msu2001la
Just for the sake of people who may be slower on the uptake than others... what exactly should one look for when determining if the link is bad or not?

I typically use a Park Tools Master Link Pliers (MLP 1.2) to remove and re-install. They don't need a lot of effort to unlock, but seems like enough that I've never worried (until now) that it might come undone while riding. They kind of "snap" back in pace on re-install.

I would worry if they didn't snap back in place or seemed really easy to unlock, but so far I've not encountered that. I've got 1500-2000 miles on one now that has been opened/closed at least a dozen times for cleaning.
I've never had one wear out. If you manage to bend it, so you can't get it to snap back on easily with the MLP 1.2, then bin it.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 04-04-22 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-04-22, 12:46 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

If it no longer takes some effort to lock the link it’s time to replace
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 04-04-22, 01:20 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Does SRAM say that it's OK to re-use Powerlinks? The internet seems to vary on this answer. I no longer have the original packaging for the ones I bought (a few years ago), but I was going to order some new ones. If there is a brand that says they are OK to re-use, I'd prefer those. Replacing each time I clean my chain seems crazy and annoying and/or will result in me not removing my chain to clean it.
I checked the SRAM website and their 11-speed PowerLock is "good for a one-time application only", so I guess they're not the ones responsible for what I'd heard. KMC's 11-speed MissingLink connectors are reusable, but not their 12-speed. Still, it seems like something must be up, if quick-links of a particular speed manage to become reusable once they are no longer the latest and greatest tech...

I agree that if I couldn't reuse that link, I'd have to do things differently. And I wouldn't be happy about it!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-04-22, 01:45 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I like to test these things out and have found with the "one time" links I have used, KMC, Connex, SRAM, that the pins and side plates will start to wear grooves before anything breaks so they get changed when the wear is visible. Never had one fail even after using on 3 chains and 12K plus miles with 20+ remove and replaces for the same link. Most failures I've heard of are from installation error where the sideplates weren't engaged properly with the pins.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-04-22, 03:10 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
My experience is similar to those that R&R the chain periodically: though the makers of several quick links do
specify "1 use" in practice this means use on one chain until the chain wears out then discard chain and link
and don't worry about periodic chain removal
for cleaning or what. I have only had one quik link fail in the past 15 yrs and that was on a tandem.
Old 04-04-22, 03:32 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
Single use or multi use they all use an interference fit to stay connected so I use the closing force to determine whether it goes in the trash. I get the link up and hold the wheel an if I can easily close it with my hand on the crack it is trashed, some as early a five uses.
Old 04-04-22, 04:10 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
My experience is similar to those that R&R the chain periodically: though the makers of several quick links do
specify "1 use" in practice this means use on one chain until the chain wears out then discard chain and link
and don't worry about periodic chain removal
for cleaning or what.
Same here, but then I tuck that quick link into a tool pouch in case the one on the chain needs replacing on the road. OK, that hasn't happened yet, but as insurance they weigh next to nothing.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-04-22, 08:21 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Wippermann Connex are advertised as multi-use quick-links that don't require tools.

I feel safer using Shimano, which requires a tool to get them apart (and in my experience) to get them back together.
I use the Wippermann, prefer it to SRAM and KMC. Well designed, isn’t going to open in use.
Old 04-04-22, 08:27 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 719 Posts
I've always just assumed that this referred to the life of the chain, single use to the chain and don't use after the chain wears. I've yet to run into a link that hasn't worked just fine for the rest the chain life, and can't recall seeing a chain that snapped at the link, usually always somewhere else so I suspect it isn't that important an issue.
Old 04-05-22, 05:05 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
More speeds = thinner plates on the quick links.

I've never seen a single-use 8-speed quick link, while I've seen many single-use 10 and more speeds links. I have successfully re-used 10 speed quick links that were sold as single-use, but for regular re-use (like weekly chain cleaning and similar), I'm comfortable with up to 8-speed quick links, the rest I consider emergency re-use only, even if manufacturers say otherwise. Colour me conservative.

Having said that, I've seen quick links fail on other people's bikes, but it could have been from improper installation, a defect, or some other problem, but never had problems personally.