Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Geometry comparison: Bridgestone SL6 vs CAAD 10 vs Emonda ALR

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-12-22, 12:30 PM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 27 Posts

Hi Guys,

Shopping around for my first serious road bike. I will be using this bike for training, criteriums (when they finally get organized again in my area) and the occasional mountain climb or long and scenic weekend ride (long for me is about 70k). I have never formally raced before and currently ride around 240ish KM (150miles) a week at a reasonably fast pace for fitness. I enjoy the sprint side of cycling as well as aggressive geometry. I currently ride a really aggressive track frame and have tried endurance geometry from some of my friends bikes and found them to be less interesting to me. Carbon is out of scope for now since I am still quite heavy from powerlifting at 240lbs (108kg). I have narrowed my choices down to a Trek Emonda ALR, Cannondale CAAD 10 or 12 (not a fan of the 13 cosmetically) or a Bridgestone SL6. My criteria was based on 1. aluminum frame 2. race oriented geometry 3. 105 or ultegra, ideally 11 speed for ~1000 USD 4. available 2nd hand in decent shape. My question is on geometry.
My no. 1 choice right now is the Bridgestone SL6, The geometry for a size 52 seat tube, 55 top tube is as follows:
Head tube length - 14
Head tube angle - 73°00'
Seat tube angle - 73°45'
offset - 4.5
Front center - 58.8
Rear center - 41.0
BB drop 7.0
Wheelbase - 98.7
Stack - 54.6
Reach - 39.1

Compared to a CAAD 10 size 54 or 56 (Geometry Details: Cannondale CAAD10 2015 (geometrygeeks.bike)) or an Emonda ALR (Émonda ALR 5 | Trek Bikes), would there be any substantial differences in handling and acceleration? I ask because from what I have read it is the interaction of several factors that determine the handling and acceleration of the bike. Since I have limited experience with this, I cannot seem to visualize how these geometry numbers will make the bike feel. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Fish
Old 05-12-22, 02:32 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Compare the stack and reach. Reach can only be compared at the same stack height. If one frame has a 20mm shorter stack, then subtract 6mm from the reach before comparing the two.
Old 05-12-22, 03:12 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10060 Post(s)
Liked 5,040 Times in 2,152 Posts
What about the BMC Roadmachine ALR?

Or Scott Addicts new AL

or

Specialized Allez?

I don’t believe the Emonda ALR is really aggressive. It’s closer to an HI3 fit which is very relaxed. I have friends that race it and like it, but it’s not “aggressive”
Old 05-12-22, 03:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I don't know why carbon bikes are out of the picture for your 240 lbs any more than aluminum, steel or Ti bikes. Though for your first road bike you might be better served to get a lower tier bike so you'll have more money to put up for your second road bike when you have some experience with the first and know better what you want.

Just decide whether you want a race fit or a relaxed fit and look at frame stack once you know what that fit is you want. If you are going to be doing long rides, then stick to something classed as a road bike whether it's relaxed or race fit you want. A tri bike or a TT bike wouldn't be my choice for long rides.

Any name brand sold by bike shops will be a good bike. Specialized, Cannondale, Giant and Trek are common around here.
Old 05-12-22, 04:07 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Any big name carbon fiber frame should be fine. 240 isn't really that heavy. A friend raced cat 3 at 265 and another raced track and road at 265 and higher. I've known lots of big guys who ride cf bikes. The wheels are usually the weak link.

As for geometry obviously the fit is the most important thing, you need to be comfortable and not create any overuse injuries. The other stuff, head angle, chainstay length, etc. isn't all that important imho. I prefer steep head tubes and quick handling but I'm fine on slack bikes. There's just not that much difference in modern bikes.
What I mean is they will all work and can be fun to ride. They can feel different but only you can decide which feel you like.

I think the CAAD bikes are fine, btw.
Old 05-12-22, 04:19 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by big john
Any big name carbon fiber frame should be fine. 240 isn't really that heavy. A friend raced cat 3 at 265 and another raced track and road at 265 and higher. I've known lots of big guys who ride cf bikes. The wheels are usually the weak link.

As for geometry obviously the fit is the most important thing, you need to be comfortable and not create any overuse injuries. The other stuff, head angle, chainstay length, etc. isn't all that important imho. I prefer steep head tubes and quick handling but I'm fine on slack bikes. There's just not that much difference in modern bikes.
What I mean is they will all work and can be fun to ride. They can feel different but only you can decide which feel you like.

I think the CAAD bikes are fine, btw.
He said he wanted to start racing, I think it’s a good idea to use Aluminum to start racing. IMO.

l still plan on switching to Aluminum for crits.

Don’t race anything you can’t afford to replace….
Old 05-12-22, 04:29 PM
big john

Originally Posted by bampilot06
He said he wanted to start racing, I think it’s a good idea to use Aluminum to start racing. IMO.

l still plan on switching to Aluminum for crits.

Don’t race anything you can’t afford to replace….
Oh, I agree. I just don't think he should rule out cf because of his weight.

I had a CAAD5 and put 30K miles on it. Great handling bike but a harsh ride on the rough roads.
Old 05-12-22, 04:39 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by big john
Oh, I agree. I just don't think he should rule out cf because of his weight.

I had a CAAD5 and put 30K miles on it. Great handling bike but a harsh ride on the rough roads.

My CAAD 4 was nice, just too small. I honestly don’t think it’s any harsher than my cervelo.

The steel rides the best out of all my bikes.
Old 05-12-22, 09:02 PM
big john

My CAAD 4 was nice, just too small. I honestly don’t think it’s any harsher than my cervelo.

The steel rides the best out of all my bikes.
I've had a few steelies. One of them was actually harsher than the CAAD. Here is the Saeco CAAD.
Old 05-12-22, 10:40 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
I don’t believe the Emonda ALR is really aggressive. It’s closer to an HI3 fit which is very relaxed. I have friends that race it and like it, but it’s not “aggressive”
The Emonda ALR is fairly aggressive and is a H1.5 fit, and you can flip the stem and cut the fork to remove extras spacers if you wanted to get that slammed feeling. I ran mine for years with the stem flipped giving me a more aero position and it gave me a very fast ride. I recently flipped it to a more upright after an accident to make it just a tad bit more comfortable as I work my back out and get some flexibility back, then I will flip it back to the more aggressive position.

Edit: If you look at the numbers compared to the Madone, they are very similar, but the emonda has a slightly longer headtube.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 05-12-22 at 10:50 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-13-22, 08:22 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
The Emonda ALR is fairly aggressive and is a H1.5 fit, and you can flip the stem and cut the fork to remove extras spacers if you wanted to get that slammed feeling. I ran mine for years with the stem flipped giving me a more aero position and it gave me a very fast ride. I recently flipped it to a more upright after an accident to make it just a tad bit more comfortable as I work my back out and get some flexibility back, then I will flip it back to the more aggressive position.

Edit: If you look at the numbers compared to the Madone, they are very similar, but the emonda has a slightly longer headtube.
You are correct about the ALR 5. I’m not sure where I got that from. I know several months ago I was looking for a new crit bike. I was comparing a bunch of different bikes and must have gotten mixed up. Sorry about the wrong information.
Old 05-13-22, 01:22 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
You are correct about the ALR 5. I’m not sure where I got that from. I know several months ago I was looking for a new crit bike. I was comparing a bunch of different bikes and must have gotten mixed up. Sorry about the wrong information.

No problem, so many bikes, so many numbers. could have been the Domane...

Old 05-15-22, 01:51 AM
LeSexyFishorse

Bikes: 93 Zunow Di Picce, Nakagawa, Bridgestone Track bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 27 Posts
What about the BMC Roadmachine ALR?
Or Scott Addicts new AL
or
Specialized Allez?
Unfortunately these bikes are not easily available where I am or in the price range of what I am looking for used. They look like great bikes though. My first choice was the Allez but I just could not find one for sale at a reasonable price here.
Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't know why carbon bikes are out of the picture for your 240 lbs any more than aluminum, steel or Ti bikes. Though for your first road bike you might be better served to get a lower tier bike so you'll have more money to put up for your second road bike when you have some experience with the first and know better what you want.

Just decide whether you want a race fit or a relaxed fit and look at frame stack once you know what that fit is you want. If you are going to be doing long rides, then stick to something classed as a road bike whether it's relaxed or race fit you want. A tri bike or a TT bike wouldn't be my choice for long rides.

Any name brand sold by bike shops will be a good bike. Specialized, Cannondale, Giant and Trek are common around here.
I'm sure that for this bike I would like a race fit. The long ride thing is more a recovery ride than anything else and I have steel bikes for that. Decided on aluminum mostly for the cost reasons. When I do decide on a carbon bike I would like to go for a quality one. Right now I would rather get a high quality aluminum than an entry CF one. You make a great point learning what I like from alu and translating it to when I buy a CF bike.

Was looking at some Giant bikes too but for the price I am finding that a used Cannondale and the like is offering me more value overall. How racey would you say the Emonda is? Is it purely a comfort thing or is there a substantial enough performance difference? I am leaning towards the Bridgestone/Cannonale with the Emonda being the more comfort end of the spectrum (just so I have options). I do like the way the Emonda looks over the Cannondale though (+5mph ).