Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Tire choices - Eroica style bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Tire choices - Eroica style bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 10:51 AM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
Again, this "Almonzo" tire from Challenge looks like a major win. Check out this tread pattern. Sweet or what.

I am going to ride them on Open Pros, but I also want to build a set of wheels using Velocity A23s and a set of Campy 32 hole Centaur hubs I have on hand.
Those tires look perfect

I think I recall sending you a message about wanting to lace those 32h hubs to a23s. as an added bonus, I think velocity's gray matches century gray. Add silver spokes and you will have a wheelset that looks and rides great on any bike. I would like to try an a23 with a master 25 tire.
Old 12-26-12, 10:55 AM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The Almanzo looks like a great tire, but it's not really anything new. As far as I can tell it's just a slightly narrower Grifo XS (32mm) clincher. There are a LOT of 32mm tires out there with that tread pattern tire for clincher and tubular rims if you can fit a 32mm tire.
Old 12-26-12, 11:10 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
The Almanzo looks like a great tire, but it's not really anything new. As far as I can tell it's just a slightly narrower Grifo XS (32mm) clincher. There are a LOT of 32mm tires out there with that tread pattern tire for clincher and tubular rims if you can fit a 32mm tire.
Agreed.

Perfect for me though, as my stays on the gravel bike I am building can handle the Almonzo, but not the Grifo XS.

Just a little too wide.

The other issue is the compound on the Grifo.

They wear quickly if you get them on two lane paved roads.

I'm hopeful the Almanzo will wear a bit better.

Last edited by gomango; 12-26-12 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-26-12, 11:16 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Agreed.

Perfect for me though, as my stays on the gravel bike I am building can handle the Almonzo, but not the Grifo XS.

Just a little too wide.

The other issue is the compound on the Grifo.

They wear quickly if you get them on two lane paved roads.

I'm hopeful the Almonzo will wear a bit better.
It would be good to know the actual width of the Almonzo and Erocia after mounted and inflated and left to expand for a few days. The Challenge Parigi-Roubaix runs 2mm large.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 12-26-12, 11:20 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
It would be good to know the actual width of the Almonzo and Erocia. The Challenge Parigi-Roubaix runs 2mm large.
This is an issue for me.

I have owned two sets of the PRs.

Love 'em.

But they both grew too much and wouldn't fit between the stays on my Hollands.

The Croll I am building will take up to 31s with fenders, which will be non-optional in the junk I'll be riding in this season.

We'll see what happens.
Old 12-26-12, 11:28 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I've got Pasela (non TG) in 25, 28, and 32c(well, 27X1-1/4) sizes, and don't have a problem with anything smaller than pea gravel. Dirt roads, cross country riding in clear woods, etc, all work well for the 32's. The 25's work on "improved" dirt roads, and the 28's are somewhere in between (naturally). While they work great on semi-regular surfaces, I found that they skitter around a LOT when going around sandy corners, or on gravel - just be aware and prepared. They still get better grip than most "slick" road/race tires, and I use them on my club bike while zipping around the corners faster than most others in the pack.

The tires I've been most pleased with are my 700X34 Specialized Captain CX cross tires that I have on a fixed gear Peugeot that I use as my primary commuter. I've yet to encounter something they shy away from, and that's with 20ish mm wide road rims. They don't slip much on wet leaves, will bomb dirt roads and washouts at 20 mph, and get pretty good grip in snow as well. Also, at 90 psi (maximum 100 psi), I've rolled over 2000 miles, and they're just starting to flatten out the tread a bit (me with gear is 220-250 lbs depending on the cargo). I've decided that they'll become my go-to commuter tire from October to March.

Last edited by mickey85; 12-26-12 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-26-12, 12:39 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

This is an issue for me.

I have owned two sets of the PRs.

Love 'em.

But they both grew too much and wouldn't fit between the stays on my Hollands.

The Croll I am building will take up to 31s with fenders, which will be non-optional in the junk I'll be riding in this season.

We'll see what happens.
I'm using the 150TPI Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech in a 700x28 as an alternative to the Parigi-Roubaix. It's 28mm wide and much wider than the 700x28 Gatorskin, which is 2 mm smaller that labeled.

Another issue with the Challenge tires is the labor involved in mounting. Changing these roadside will take extra time compared to other tires I've owned.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-26-12 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-26-12, 01:18 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I'm using the 150TPI Vittoria Rubino Tech in a 700x28 as an alternative to the Parigi-Roubaix. It's 28mm wide and much wider than the 700x28 Gatorskin, which is 2 mm smaller that labeled.

Another issue with the Challenge tires is the labor involved in mounting. Changing these roadside will take extra time compared to other tires I've owned.
I'm a sucker for trying new tires, so I'll look into those.

I have had fewer difficulties mounting PRs than most, so I have little angst at this point.
Old 12-26-12, 01:32 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

I'm a sucker for trying new tires, so I'll look into those.

I have had fewer difficulties mounting PRs than most, so I have little angst at this point.
It sounds like you've had ample practice changing tubes with the Challenge P-Rs :-)

This pair should sell in the $50-60 range, this includes shipping, Vittoria makes superlative tires.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-VITTORI...item5d381556f8

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-26-12 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-26-12, 02:38 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I don't think my L'Eroica bike will take bigger than 25's, but I may go with some Armadillo's in that size.
Old 12-26-12, 05:33 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I don't think my L'Eroica bike will take bigger than 25's, but I may go with some Armadillo's in that size.
700x28 Gatorskins measure out to 26mm wide. Some 700x25 Michelin tires measure out to 26mm too.
Old 12-26-12, 05:44 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Doesn't the Armadillo have more of a smooth tread? I suppose that's probably not much of a problem unless you get into some sandy conditions or looser gravel.