Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Well, what can I say.. Coming full circle in the next few months...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Well, what can I say.. Coming full circle in the next few months...

Old 01-09-13, 07:49 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclotoine
rangers are terrible on gas, look for a 3.4L tacoma (2001-2004 ish) and make sure it isn't from a salty state (rust!). Mine is a california truck and can get 18 mpg on the highway. If you want better mileage looks for one of the early 90s 2.2re 4 cyclinders. Gutless but you can put a million miles on them with minor maintenance (timing chain every 250K kms)
I'll second this. The Tacomas and Tundras have suffered, unfortunately, by the manufacturer's poor choice in frame contractors. But other than that they are very good. My 2004 Tacoma 4 banger is all I need. And I don't find it too gutless. I drive like an old lady these days anyhow.

Good to hear about your second chance. My advice, un-solicited, is ..... concentrate on the girl. Forget the bikes. Or at least, keep the value of each in perspective. She sounds like a keeper.
Old 01-09-13, 07:52 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Good luck with the move and new direction. Didn't you go to driver training for someone? How did that go?

Look for a Mini van. I took most of my seat out and I can stuff an unbelievable amount of stuff in it. I want one with the stow and go type seating though.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-09-13, 07:59 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Sounds like you're on a good path. I hope things work out.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-09-13, 08:02 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
[QUOTE=Bikedued;15136218 There's always the head hitting the upper door jamb thing too, ouch! I drove an 05 Frontier, and didn't seem to have any of those issues. [/QUOTE]

I have the same problem, in part due to a very stiff neck. I bang my head all the time on my wife's work van. One thing I really like about the Element is it has tremendous head space.

FWIW on gas mileage, my 2002 Ford F150 Supercrew, with the larger V8, gets better mileage than the gutless Nissan Pathfinder I had before it. I love the truck, and it was a rebuilt wreck, so it was recycling at its best! Please note, it is a 2WD model. Everyone I know with the 4WD version pay a hefty penalty on fuel economy.
Old 01-09-13, 08:33 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
I am a Jeep guy too. Have had Cherokees since 1990, bought new, and still have it with over 210K miles. I have owned a 92 with 242K miles, have a 98 with over 128K miles, had a 1997 Grand Cherokee with over 115k miles and have a 2000 Grand Cherokee with over 156K miles. Some say that Jeep stands for "Just Empty Every Pocket" but that is not my expereince. they are nearly as easy to work on as a bike and prices are increadably low for parts, not to mention the initial purchase. I have always had the I6 with AW4 and 242 transfer case. Having lived in in the NW, there was not a better vehicle for getting around. I use to take the front wheel off my Colnago, put it on the rear seat, made sure the left pedal was up and slipped it in behind the front seats. Safe and secure. Support for issues are equivalent to the support on this forum @ NAXJA.com.
OK I am a little biased! I purchased the 1990 new with the intent of keeping it for 10 years, it will be 23 in May. Still get the same MPG on the freeway of 21 as when new.
Old 01-09-13, 09:30 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Stop pinning hope on petroleum-consuming four-wheel vehicles! If you must buy one, consider Mr Money Mustache's viewpoints.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/...r-gas-guzzler/

and

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/...-smart-people/

Take a look at the utility cycling section of bikeforums. Some people have MOVED HOUSE with a bike and trailer.

Need to sleep in a vehicle? Fine. How often? Rent one.

Don't wait for gas prices to come back down. They are super-low, compared with how they will be in the future. At a certain point, only the rich will be able to afford gas in their SUV's, but the government won't be able to afford the petroleum to pave the roads. OK, that's an alarmist view, but let's start to get ready to live with less reliance on big business and big infrastructure.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-09-13, 10:27 AM
Ancient Mariner

Bikes: Giant Defy Comp 2, Specialized Rockhopper Hard Tail 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very much in favor of you getting back together with your wife. Maybe a new appreciation will avoid future problems. My wife and I celebrate our 51st anniversary in a little over a week......I know about these things. ;-)

I can throw in my recommendation for the 6-cyl Cherokee. We had a 1986 that ran flawlessly for around 225K miles. It finally failed us on a trip to Reno when the vibration damper self-destructed. Rather than spend the $800 to fix it, we traded it in on a 1999 Grand Cherokee with the V8. We still have it, and with about 150K miles, it still seems to be running fine. The major problem with the Grand Cherokee has been the anti-lock brake system. It took a couple years and many trips to the dealer to get it sorted out. I still don't like the Grand Cherokee nearly as much as I did the old Cherokee. The older car was just more fun, and in a good way, less refined.
Old 01-09-13, 11:24 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Sounds like you had stuff to get out of your system. You are very fortunate to have someone in your life that was willing to wait for you to come out the other side.
Old 01-09-13, 11:56 AM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
......I will sell my truck as well. It's a trusty but battle worn 86 ramcharger with a 5.9 liter. About 8-10mpg on a GOOD day.,,,,BD

I had a 1985 Ramcharger with the same motor as a daily driver for years. It was a primitive beast, and I loved that thing. It would handle everything I could toss at it (forest, desert, rocks, you name it), climb the bathroom wall, and (almost) never broke. Under braked and under powered, but a real fun truck and a bonafide workhorse. When it did break, it was usually an easy DIY easy fix. When they re-formulated the gas out here in CA, the mpg went from ~13 to ~9, so I ended up selling it in 2000 to a high school kid that lived on a ranch.

I still miss that truck, and dream of getting another or something similar when I finally retire to my dream ranch to hunt and fish all day long.

Good luck on your relationship rebuilding - as a previous poster said, concentrate on the woman and earn her back. Buy the toys later.

S. J. Perelman
Old 01-10-13, 05:54 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
F 150s now get better mileage than Rangers . Chevy Canyon or equivalent might be nice , but a truck body on a Honda Element would be really cool .
Old 01-10-13, 06:25 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Sweet!
They made lousy bike haulers though.
That's why there's moving companies
Old 01-10-13, 07:27 AM
mickey85
perpetually frazzled

Bikes: 1977 Bridgestone Kabuki Super Speed; 1979 Raleigh Professional; 1983 Raleigh Rapide mixte; 1974 Peugeot UO-8; 1993 Univega Activa Trail; 1972 Raleigh Sports; 1967 Phillips; 1981 Schwinn World Tourist; 1976 Schwinn LeTour mixte; 1964 Western Flyer

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Get a Cherokee. I flipped mine at 188K miles (the road was a skating rink, and it decided to launch itself into a ditch), and it was still running like a Swiss watch. Then I got an '04 Grand with the 4.7 V8. Most unreliable, temperamental, evil thing I've ever owned in my entire life. I'd actually have my Taurus back over buying another one of these. Well...maybe not THAT far... I wouldn't have another one of those up my butt sideways. I'd buy Cherokees all day long though, and you can still find semi-low mileage ones.
Old 01-10-13, 07:36 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Good to hear you are making a good move! You got a lot of advice here about cars. That's the peripheral stuff.

If your ex is good enough to be willing to take you back, they she's good enough for you to stay this time! Don't let her get away.
Old 01-10-13, 08:18 AM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
One of these days I'll get around to attaching a bicycle rack to a motorcycle:

https://www.google.com/search?num=10&....1.is3VHV4L9FU
Old 01-10-13, 08:31 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I leased a Honda Element for three years. It was practical and reliable, but underpowered and no fun to drive.
Old 01-10-13, 09:02 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I have owned two F150 Supercrews, a 2wd and now a 4wd. I averaged about 19mpg with the 2wd and pretty much the same with the 4wd. The 2wd was some nicer to drive.
Old 01-10-13, 09:50 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
You guys might remember my post about my gf leaving, and selling my bikes. Back a month or so when I was pretty torn up emotionally, I decided to contact my ex in Houston(You know the place where I mention something is in the garage in Houston?) Well, we have been talking all this time, and in about 6 months, I will most likely be moving back to Houston to be with her permanently. She really was an amazing woman, and why I ever left is beyond me. I thought the grass was greener, and it was only astroturf and plastic flowers... I have truly learned my lesson, and I know where I belonged all along. That she would even consider talking with me again, is in itself astounding. But I guess it proves you can fix stupid after all,. Anybody got Ron Whites number?

I will probably hit the flea markets again, that goes without saying. All but the really special stuff I will pass on to new owners. My tastes have changed as far as that goes. I will only keep the really nice one's I run across, and sell the rest. I will still be selling my bikes once I get to Lafayette on the first of February, and anything I post on CL in Laf, I will also post here to give you guys a crack at it as well. What I need most of all right now, is a newer non gas guzzling vehicle, so I can visit her in the coming months. In order to do that I will sell my truck as well. It's a trusty but battle worn 86 ramcharger with a 5.9 liter. About 8-10mpg on a GOOD day.,,,,BD
Bikedued, sorry man, but I think its sad that you left, couldn't deal with the new girl (that YOU wanted) for whatever reason, then ran back to "ole reliable" when the chips were down. If thats not the way it is apologies, but its the way it sounds.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 01-10-13, 10:00 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
The woman that was a mental mess and hid it well. She was abusive, both physically and mentally. She obsessed over food ingredients, cleanliness, bug infestations, you name it she'd obsess over it. She was a hypochondriac, but would only take herbal and holistic remedies that did nothing. She bought several expensive items including a Wii and a new laptop, but if I spent a cent on anything(even a $5 magazine) I would never hear the end of it. She had inside and outside clothes, and wouldn't sit down until they were changed, in order to not bring "germs" in. Shoes came off at the door, things like that. She would fly into a rage with no warning, her voice would change to a thick East coast accent, screaming, kicking, punching, throwing things, putting holes in the wall, tearing up photographs, turning my toolbox over and dumped the tools on the carpet, etc etc.... She put on an air of maturity and calm in public, so no one would know what she was like. Jekyll and Hyde... She claimed to be a devout Christian, but lived in a way that reminded me of the complete opposite.

She even stooped so low as to insult my Father on several occasions, he died back in 2003 before we ever met? He smoked like me, so that was fair game as ammunition. She was cheating online with someone who she is with now for months without letting on, and even jacked up the security on the internet to hide what she was up to. My computer no longer would go online, and she refused to lower it. It was a Mobile hotpot that was on MY account, since her cell phone is still on her parents account, at age 26..? She had the pasword and refused to share it with me. Huge red flag right there! Early on in living together she told me to my face about a maintenance guy at work she had a crush on, and actually expected me to not be upset? She was mean, calculating, and when I didn't fit in with her high "standards", she cheated, and then packed/left while I was at work. If you want to "Handle that" go right ahead. PM me for her phone number. If you don't know about what you speak, kindly say nothing at all?,,,,BD

I will think of more things to add later...more than likely..

Last edited by Bikedued; 01-10-13 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-10-13, 10:18 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Look for a Mini van. I took most of my seat out and I can stuff an unbelievable amount of stuff in it. I want one with the stow and go type seating though.
I had a Grand Caravan with stow and go for a company vehicle. That was a great rig for hauling bikes, etc. Tons of space and they stayed dry.

Old 01-10-13, 10:36 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

The woman that was a mental mess and hid it well. She was abusive, both physically and mentally. She obsessed over food ingredients, cleanliness, bug infestations, you name it she'd obsess over it. She was a hypochondriac, but would only take herbal and holistic remedies that did nothing. She bought several expensive items including a Wii and a new laptop, but if I spent a cent on anything(even a $5 magazine) I would never hear the end of it. She had inside and outside clothes, and wouldn't sit down until they were changed, in order to not bring "germs" in. Shoes came off at the door, things like that. She would fly into a rage with no warning, her voice would change to a thick East coast accent, screaming, kicking, punching, throwing things, putting holes in the wall, tearing up photographs, turning my toolbox over and dumped the tools on the carpet, etc etc.... She put on an air of maturity and calm in public, so no one would know what she was like. Jekyll and Hyde... She claimed to be a devout Christian, but lived in a way that reminded me of the complete opposite.

She even stooped so low as to insult my Father on several occasions, he died back in 2003 before we ever met, for the way he smoked like me, etc. She was cheating online with someone who she is with now for months without letting on, and even jacked up the security on the internet to hide what she was up to. My computer no longer would go online, and she refused to lower it. It was a Mobile hotpot that was on MY account, since her cell phone is still on her parents account, at age 26..? She had the pasword and refused to share it with me. Huge red flag right there! Early on in living together she told me to my face about a maintenance guy at work she had a crush on, and actually expected me to not be upset? She was mean, calculating, and when I didn't fit in with her high "standards", she cheated, and then packed/left while I was at work. If you want to "Handle that" go right ahead. PM me for her phone number. If you don't know about what you speak, kindly say nothing at all?,,,,BD

I will think of more things to add later...more than likely..
Hey man, don't get pissed at me 'cause I called it for what it is, and try to remember that you were the ****ing idiot that left "a really amazing woman" behind for a crazy *****, not me. I wouldn't have been so stupid to leave "a really amazing woman" behind for a crazy *****, but hey, thats what the typical man does, right?
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve

Last edited by ilikebikes; 01-10-13 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-10-13, 10:41 AM
Bikedued

Yeah okay dude. whatever... Not pissed, just told it like it was... Yes, I was stupid, and admitted to that in my original post. Telling me I am is nothing worse than I already said about myself, so..what's your point? No one said you had to like how I lived my life, did they?,,,,BD

It probably doesn't help my mood much, that I'm at home sick with a fever... No paid sick days where I work, so it's only hurting my next check, which I really need...

Last edited by Bikedued; 01-10-13 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-10-13, 10:51 AM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Yeah okay dude. whatever... Not pissed, just told it like it was... Yes, I was stupid, and admitted to that in the original post. Telling me I am is nothing worse than I already said about myself, so..wha's your point>,,,,BD
If you read my orig post you'll see that I didn't call you anything, it was after your rude reply telling me "If you want to "Handle that" go right ahead. PM me for her phone number. If you don't know about what you speak, kindly say nothing at all?,,,,BD" that I called you a ****ing idiot. BTW, "Whatever" is usually what people who know they're wrong say when they can't think of an honest reply.
Old 01-10-13, 10:56 AM
Bikedued

Your first response was just sly name calling without actually saying it, and meant to belittle me? You're the only one doing any name calling here? I simply said that if you wanted a try at it, you were more than welcome. Sarcastically yes, but still no name calling on my end. You're the only one doing that?
Old 01-10-13, 10:59 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Please knock it off, ilikebikes. This is his rap session, not yours, so let him pour his heart out freely.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-10-13, 11:02 AM
Bikedued

The "whatever" was meant to say you are welcome to your own opinion. If you want to mix words, and use jedi mind tricks, you're more than welcome to do that too. Pardon me while I no longer pay any attention to you,,,,BD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.