Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Presta valve and a compressor

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-16, 07:44 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

What do i need to use my compressor with my presto valves? I got some tubeless tires and I need to use my compressor to seat them. Neither a floor pump or CO2 did the trick. All I have is a Schrader valve attachment.

Looked on the net, but can't find what I need. I don't think I'm searching for the right thing.

Thanks.

Brandon
Old 09-02-16, 07:47 PM
AristoNYC

Bikes: AristoNYC's PedalRoom

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
https://www.merlincycles.com/no-tube...ter-84250.html
Old 09-02-16, 07:56 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 5,508 Times in 2,853 Posts
Drop into your LBS and they will probably have a jar full of those adapters.
Old 09-02-16, 08:06 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Better yet, the Prestacycle Prestaflator Pro:

Prestaflator Pro ? Multipurpose Bicycle Inflation Tool - Prestacycle LLC
Old 09-02-16, 08:13 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
My local Walmart has screw on Presta to Schrader adapters.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-Val...&wl13=&veh=sem

I've never used them but suspect they are as good as any.
Old 09-02-16, 08:22 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Or you could get the same thing at Harbor Freight for six bucks.
Old 09-02-16, 08:49 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Or you could get the same thing at Harbor Freight for six bucks
except for the fact that they aren't the same thing, sure.
Old 09-02-16, 09:15 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by nycphotography
except for the fact that they aren't the same thing, sure.
I'm asking an honest question not trying to be a jerk. What's the difference? They look identical other than the chuck. I have one of the Harbour Freight ones and I promise you it will inflate a bike tire with a presta valve if you use an adapter.
Old 09-02-16, 09:40 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I'm asking an honest question not trying to be a jerk. What's the difference? They look identical other than the chuck. I have one of the Harbour Freight ones and I promise you it will inflate a bike tire with a presta valve if you use an adapter.
It's a personal preference issue. A Pittsburg ratchet from HF and a Snap-On ratchet look the same and do a similar task. One belongs in a tool box and one belongs in the garbage. JMO though.
Old 09-02-16, 09:56 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

It seems like a big premium, but the chuck is the good part, the piece which makes using it less of a pain. I have an HF compressor and several head fittings, and pretty much the HF stuff sucks. The quick connects don't seal securely, or the gauge reads randomly. I have an HF Schraeder inflator, and the pin depressor gets jammed off to the side such that I have to whack while using it to get it to work. I was using an HF blower head, threading a spare Lezyne flex hose into it for easier presta work, but still needed to switch heads when moving between valve types.

Basically, I got the Prestaflator for tbe convenience and hope of better quality bits. Honestly the Prestaflator doesn't seem altogether different in that category, but the gauge seems to work, at least!
Old 09-03-16, 05:05 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by chaadster
but the gauge seems to work, at least!
So that's a pretty big difference. While the HF inflator is able to blow air through a tube adequately enough, the gauge is mostly for decoration.
Old 09-03-16, 05:23 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
You get what you pay for when it comes to tools and being a professional mechanic for the last 30 years I can vouch for the fact that Snap On does make some of the best tools out there, no question. Harbor Freight is good for the once and a while mechanic or hobbyist that will only use the tools a few times. If you buy from HF, just don't expect the tool to last and or be accurate. I would never, ever, consider buying a torque wrench from them.

Back to the topic, buy one of those adapters shown above for a couple bucks and you can use any compressor.

Last edited by dvdslw; 09-03-16 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-03-16, 06:27 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by dvdslw
You get what you pay for when it comes to tools and being a professional mechanic for the last 30 years I can vouch for the fact that Snap On does make some of the best tools out there, no question. Harbor Freight is good for the once and a while mechanic or hobbyist that will only use the tools a few times. If you buy from HF, just don't expect the tool to last and or be accurate. I would never, ever, consider buying a torque wrench from them...
I'm just a home mechanic and have always considered craftsman to be a good cost/quality compromise for someone like me, but I don't mind rolling the dice on a HF tool from time to time. I actually have all three sizes of Pittsburgh torque wrenches which have been totally adequate for my infrequent and low precision requirements. Same experience with lots of HF stuff. I expect I would feel differently about tools if I depended on them for my income.
Old 09-03-16, 07:41 AM
Sidney Porter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
I would not buy a hf tool and expect it to be used every day. That being said I have their purple spray gun, their cheap impact wrench and air hammer. They have all done their job but I use them 2 to 3 times a year. If they last 30 uses that is 10 plus years. If I purchased better quality it isn't like I would use them more and at 3x price. I also have a hammer drill I needed it for one project and drilled around 60 screws into concrete. It worked I may never need the tool again. I think I paid 35 comparable ones were 100
Old 09-03-16, 07:42 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

You get what you pay for when it comes to tools and being a professional mechanic for the last 30 years I can vouch for the fact that Snap On does make some of the best tools out there, no question. Harbor Freight is good for the once and a while mechanic or hobbyist that will only use the tools a few times. If you buy from HF, just don't expect the tool to last and or be accurate. I would never, ever, consider buying a torque wrench from them.

Back to the topic, buy one of those adapters shown above for a couple bucks and you can use any compressor.
The big issue with HF for me, as a hobbyist user, is the low quality which makes using them unpleasant. Slop in joints, rough cut threads which don't spin well, crap bushing material giving rough feel, grips that spin on the handle...stuff like that. Just cheap, junk construction and materials that feels and works like cheap junk. I hate it, but the cost tradeoff for my small, occasional projects and periodic needs keeps me going back, because I'm not financially well-endowed. I do get Snap-On tools through an auto tech buddy, and for some basic tools which I always use, like the ratcheting bit driver, they're a real pleasure to have and use. I buy HF tools knowing using them is going to be frustrating.
Old 09-03-16, 07:47 AM
Sidney Porter

As far as the air tool in question. 6 vs 60. I would probably get the hf and see if it works compare the gauge to your compressor. I don't have tubeless how often do you need to seal the tire if you keep up with the pressure before each ride? If this us only when you get new tires I would go cheap.

That being said the prestas Schrader adapter is $1 at any lbs
Old 09-03-16, 08:06 AM
AlexCyclistRoch
The Infractionator

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Actually, HF torque wrenches work well, but are rarely calibrated out of the box. We used to buy them by the dozen at work, and while out of the box they varied by ±20%, once calibrated, they held well.
Old 09-03-16, 08:16 AM
Doug28450

Bikes: 2016 Giant Propel Advanced SL 1

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch
Actually, HF torque wrenches work well, but are rarely calibrated out of the box. We used to buy them by the dozen at work, and while out of the box they varied by ±20%, once calibrated, they held well.
Likes For Doug28450:
Old 09-03-16, 11:39 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Try using a little diluted dish detergent on the bead of the tire. I have an old Nashbar floor pump and a Bell floor pump with a dedicated presta head. Either one would inflate a 700C X 23 to rock hard which should be enough to seat any tire.
Old 09-03-16, 12:02 PM
Sidney Porter

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Try using a little diluted dish detergent on the bead of the tire. I have an old Nashbar floor pump and a Bell floor pump with a dedicated presta head. Either one would inflate a 700C X 23 to rock hard which should be enough to seat any tire.
I have never had tubeless bike tires but in my limited experience setting tubeless tires (a wheel barrel) it us a volume issue not a max psi.
Old 09-03-16, 05:53 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bite the bullet and buy a Park Tool inflator if you have/use a compressor. Life will become joyful again soon as the upfront cost fades from memory. In my case that took about a day and a half.
Old 09-03-16, 06:19 PM
pmt
Experienced

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right here-> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018TVL4Z6/

Great for both road and cyclocross; the gauge is accurate at both low and high pressure, AND, the best part, is that it works fast and easy with both Presta and Schrader. Don't even have to close the paddle on Presta; just hold it on the valve with one hand and operate the inflation lever with the other.
Old 09-04-16, 05:33 AM
TK LP

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 10 Posts
If I'm using my compressor to fill my tires, I use one of the screw on adapters, and set my regulator to the pressure I want. When it stops taking air, I'm done.
Old 09-04-16, 08:45 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by ltxi
Just bite the bullet and buy a Park Tool inflator if you have/use a compressor. Life will become joyful again soon as the upfront cost fades from memory. In my case that took about a day and a half.
Oooh, I like that! I didn't know about it, but now I want it!

Anyonewant to buy a Prestaflator?!

EDIT: No, I REALLY want that!

Last edited by chaadster; 09-04-16 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-04-16, 08:54 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by pmt
Right here-> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018TVL4Z6/

Great for both road and cyclocross; the gauge is accurate at both low and high pressure, AND, the best part, is that it works fast and easy with both Presta and Schrader. Don't even have to close the paddle on Presta; just hold it on the valve with one hand and operate the inflation lever with the other.
Digital gauge sounds nice until a dead battery when needed sends me into a rage!

The dual heads on this and the Park are nice, too; they still can be used as blowers, right? Does the Park have a blower tip fitting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.