Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help me decide between these two wheelsets

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-29-17, 03:01 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, a few years ago I was in the market for a wheelset. At that time, I wanted a "do everything" wheel, and the best choice in my price range ended up being Psimet's A300. These have been a great, all-around wheel, and I'm very happy with my choice.

The only drawback of the 300 was that, being light weight and non-aero, they lacked the feel that I'd gotten from some of the aero wheels I tested. The slightly heavier, more aero wheels seemed to be easier to keep rolling once they were moving, especially on the shallow rollers that make up at least 90% of my riding in this area.

Today, I was in my LBS, and he had a pair of Bontrager Auras on the wall. These are an alu rim with a carbon faring, which I like, because I can swap wheels without worrying about brake pads. They're also only around 400g heavier than my (very light) A300s, so not total boat anchors. I also like the fact that I can buy them from my LBS, and I really like my LBS.

Now, for the MSRP price of the Bontys, I'd have a lot of other (and maybe better) choices, but these puppies are on sale for $575, which is a pretty significant markdown. The actual model of the wheel on sale is the Aura Comp, which I can't find any reviews of, because they come stock on some Trek bikes. I think these wheels are unused take-offs.

The closest wheel that I can find a review for is the Aura TLR 5. The difference between the two is that the 5 has straight-pull, "stacked" spokes (apparently "stacked" has something to do with lacing) whereas the Comp has J-bend spokes. The 5 also has white decals and the Comp has more subtle, black ones. I can get the Aura 5 for another $100.

So... should I buy:
1. The Aura Comp, with the J-Bend spokes and black decals for $575,
2. The Aura 5, with the straight-pull spokes and the white decals (that I can probably remove) for $675,
3. Or something else (that needs to stay close to the $700-ish price of the above, otherwise I'll be divorced).

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 09-30-17, 01:44 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by cydewaze
So, a few years ago I was in the market for a wheelset. At that time, I wanted a "do everything" wheel, and the best choice in my price range ended up being Psimet's A300. These have been a great, all-around wheel, and I'm very happy with my choice.

The only drawback of the 300 was that, being light weight and non-aero, they lacked the feel that I'd gotten from some of the aero wheels I tested. The slightly heavier, more aero wheels seemed to be easier to keep rolling once they were moving, especially on the shallow rollers that make up at least 90% of my riding in this area.

Today, I was in my LBS, and he had a pair of Bontrager Auras on the wall. These are an alu rim with a carbon faring, which I like, because I can swap wheels without worrying about brake pads. They're also only around 400g heavier than my (very light) A300s, so not total boat anchors. I also like the fact that I can buy them from my LBS, and I really like my LBS.

Now, for the MSRP price of the Bontys, I'd have a lot of other (and maybe better) choices, but these puppies are on sale for $575, which is a pretty significant markdown. The actual model of the wheel on sale is the Aura Comp, which I can't find any reviews of, because they come stock on some Trek bikes. I think these wheels are unused take-offs.

The closest wheel that I can find a review for is the Aura TLR 5. The difference between the two is that the 5 has straight-pull, "stacked" spokes (apparently "stacked" has something to do with lacing) whereas the Comp has J-bend spokes. The 5 also has white decals and the Comp has more subtle, black ones. I can get the Aura 5 for another $100.

So... should I buy:
1. The Aura Comp, with the J-Bend spokes and black decals for $575,
2. The Aura 5, with the straight-pull spokes and the white decals (that I can probably remove) for $675,
3. Or something else (that needs to stay close to the $700-ish price of the above, otherwise I'll be divorced).
Believe the Aura Comps came on the 2017 Domane S6. It was one I considered before deciding to go ahead and get disc brakes. The only thing I remember from conversation was my LBS mentioned some care required to ensure water / dust did not build up in the fairings. I know this is incomplete and unverified info...maybe someone with faired wheels can chime in? Aura 5 reviews suggest they ride a bit harsh---again, unknown if that is case with the Comps and who really knows how they'll ride with your bike and tire selection, anyway. Well, this is a completely useless post! I vote against risk of divorce.👎🏻
Old 09-30-17, 09:04 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Stormsedge, not a useless post at all! I know about the water thing, as it's been mentioned in reviews, but it's not an issue for me, because I'd just toss the A300s on if there was threat of rain. The wheels are going on an Emonda, which rides pretty smoothly to begin with, so unless the wheels are really harsh, they probably won't bother me. I'm just wondering if a J-bend spoke rides differently than a straight-pull.

I'm also wondering if there's a weight difference between the two, since I can only find specs on the 5.

Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 09-30-17, 09:12 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Thanks Stormsedge, not a useless post at all! I know about the water thing, as it's been mentioned in reviews, but it's not an issue for me, because I'd just toss the A300s on if there was threat of rain. The wheels are going on an Emonda, which rides pretty smoothly to begin with, so unless the wheels are really harsh, they probably won't bother me. I'm just wondering if a J-bend spoke rides differently than a straight-pull.

I'm also wondering if there's a weight difference between the two, since I can only find specs on the 5.
I'd see if your LBS would weigh them for you to make the sale?
Old 09-30-17, 09:29 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormsedge
I'd see if your LBS would weigh them for you to make the sale?
I was thinking that because he doesn't have the 5s in stock, it's not doable, BUT I realized all he'd have to do is weigh the comps, and I can see how that weight compares to the advertised weight of the 5s, which from what I've read is pretty much bang on.

Great idea!

Old 10-02-17, 08:06 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, the Comps are 1990g without skewers. That makes them 250g heavier than the 5s. Leaning toward the 5s now due to the lower weight and straight-pull spokes.

Old 10-06-17, 09:08 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I went with the Aura 5 and they came in today. Mounted em up and I'm ready to put in some miles tomorrow before the rain shows up.

Old 10-08-17, 04:25 PM
Stormsedge

Well I went with the Aura 5 and they came in today. Mounted em up and I'm ready to put in some miles tomorrow before the rain shows up.

VERY Cool!
Old 10-08-17, 06:19 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormsedge
VERY Cool!
Thanks! Put 35 miles on them on Sat, with some modest climbing. While they don't have the same climbing feel as my 1400g Psimets, the difference isn't anywhere near as much as I'd expected. These wheels track really well around curves, and seem pretty stable. I'm running the brakes pretty close to the rims, but no rub, even when standing. Some reviews said that they ride rough, but I didn't notice any harshness. They transmit a little more of the small chatter than my other wheels, but otherwise they ride fine (maybe the reviewers were comparing them to full carbon rims?)

Plus, they sound super cool when you're hammering.

Old 10-08-17, 06:42 PM
topslop1

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

They look tasty. Nice.