Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Probikekit shipping

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Probikekit shipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-17, 09:01 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by San Pedro
From the orders I've had from the U.K. I've found the same. Some places are vague or put in something a little incorrect on the forms (clothes marked as bike parts which is good for duty in Japan).
I'll be interested to see how my current order goes. I placed an order on Sept 22nd and it was shipped on the 23rd. Ordered 3 tires that I'm not in any big rush for so no big deal how long it takes to get here. The PBK email says they estimate delivery between Oct 6th and Oct 9th which honestly is much longer than any order I've made with them in the past has taken.
Old 09-26-17, 10:06 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Ordered sunday (9 days ago) and it is on the truck for delivery today.
Old 09-26-17, 05:12 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyV
I placed an order on August 17th. Have not seen it yet. I emailed them yesterday and haven't gotten a response yet. Has anyone else run into this issue with them shipping to the states?
I bought a Cat Eye 800 from them on August 26th. It hasn't arrived either. They are refunding me since they are now out of stock. It's too bad, they really had a great price on them.
Old 09-26-17, 05:54 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4732 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
This

With PBK's free shipping service you can't track the orders so it's hard to tell where the slowdown occurs.
This to me is what makes no sense. Adding trackability on a shipment should at most cost about $2. Something is a bit screwy that there's a $12 upcharge to get this.. or minimum purchase of $300
Old 09-26-17, 05:59 PM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by Narhay
Ordered sunday (9 days ago) and it is on the truck for delivery today.
That's pretty decent service. My last order was 7 buisness Days to Southern Ontario.
Old 09-26-17, 07:50 PM
sooni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Garbage company. After an issue which involved customer service, my credit card was used in several business in and around London.... They wouldn't refund some damaged wheels that I didnt even take out of the box (skewers were sticking out) and refused upon delivery, until I started the chargeback process with my credit card company. NIGHTMARE
Old 09-27-17, 06:05 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
This to me is what makes no sense. Adding trackability on a shipment should at most cost about $2. Something is a bit screwy that there's a $12 upcharge to get this.. or minimum purchase of $300
Well that's unless the shipper they use don't offer tracking on their lowest service and to get it you have to move up a service level. I'd assume that's what's going on. Sort of like how a lot of US based etailers use UPS Dumbpost for free shipments and UPS ground for a low cost but you pay for it option. I've had UPS dumbpost shipments sit for 2-3 days in one location not moving (it does have tracking)...I presume simply so that it does not get to me as fast as ground service would have.

Originally Posted by sooni
Garbage company. After an issue which involved customer service, my credit card was used in several business in and around London.... They wouldn't refund some damaged wheels that I didnt even take out of the box (skewers were sticking out) and refused upon delivery, until I started the chargeback process with my credit card company. NIGHTMARE
Wow that does sound awful. I've not shared that experience and hope I never do.
Old 10-06-17, 12:48 PM
RaRah
www.rarahphoto.com

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Horrible packing, also did they just sell me take-off Dura Ace???

I ordered Dura Ace 9100 F/R calipers from ProBikeKit.com and look at how they packed them for a long trip overseas.

Where is my Shimano box??? Every other 9100 component I've bought came in one.

Because of the asinine way they packaged and shipped the brakes there are scratches in the finish. I am not happy at all.

Did ProBikeKit.com just sell me used or take-off calipers?

Old 10-06-17, 01:11 PM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Originally Posted by RaRah
I ordered Dura Ace 9100 F/R calipers from ProBikeKit.com and look at how they packed them for a long trip overseas.

Where is my Shimano box??? Every other 9100 component I've bought came in one.

Because of the asinine way they packaged and shipped the brakes there are scratches in the finish. I am not happy at all.

Did ProBikeKit.com just sell me used or take-off calipers?
No you got OEM packaged parts. This happens all the time in the computer industry too....in fact when you order from New Egg you can choose from retail packaging or OEM packaging for some items. Retail packaged parts and their bigger boxes would make the shipping package larger and thus cost more to ship. Do you want to pay 60% of the price you would in the US and get free shipping or do you wan tto pay full price and get retail packaging?
Old 10-06-17, 01:23 PM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually compare PBK, Merlin, and ChainReaction to see which one has what I need in stock, and which one happens to have a sale/coupon. The only one of the three I've ever had a problem with is Merlin, who took 6 months to ship my Garmin 510.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 10-06-17, 01:44 PM
RaRah
www.rarahphoto.com

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
No you got OEM packaged parts. This happens all the time in the computer industry too....in fact when you order from New Egg you can choose from retail packaging or OEM packaging for some items. Retail packaged parts and their bigger boxes would make the shipping package larger and thus cost more to ship. Do you want to pay 60% of the price you would in the US and get free shipping or do you wan tto pay full price and get retail packaging?
All I want is are new, undamaged brakes. Which is what I thought I'd be getting. All other components I've ordered with ProBikeKit.com came with the Shimano box (large and small), there was no indication that I'd not receive the box for the brakes. If it came in the box, as expected, they wouldn't be damaged. Look at how they packed them! How is this remotely acceptable?
Old 10-06-17, 02:22 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by cydewaze
I usually compare PBK, Merlin, and ChainReaction to see which one has what I need in stock, and which one happens to have a sale/coupon. The only one of the three I've ever had a problem with is Merlin, who took 6 months to ship my Garmin 510.

6 months? Damn!

I pick Merlin 8/10 times out of all the places I look. Shipping can be slow, it is overseas for me so I assume it will take a while.

Speaking of Merlin they're are/were having a great sale on Ultegra 6800 gear. Snagged some bits for my Allez buildup, but won't have the bike for a few months so the slow shipping won't bother me that much.
Old 10-09-17, 08:06 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Well I'll say that I'm now less than pleased with my most recent PBK experience....at least I don't really need anything I ordered urgently.

In the past I've had stuff come really fast...as I mentioned in another post I once ordered from both PBK and Performance the same day and I actually received the PBK order first (I live in the middle of PA). This order though I placed on Sept 22nd. Got an email from PBK on the 23rd saying that my order was dispatched and that I should receive my order between Oct 6th and Oct 9th. Which IMO is crazy long...but again I'm not in any real rush. Well today's the 9th...so we will see if they hit the late side of their estimate. Of note here...I ordered 3 tires, so there should be no confusion in customs or customs charges as long as PBK put tires on the customs form.

And of course it just hit me: today is Columbus day so no mail delivery and thus these won't be arriving today.

Last edited by Grasschopper; 10-09-17 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-10-17, 07:54 AM
cydewaze
Emondafied

Bikes: See sig

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
6 months? Damn!
Yeah. Apparently they were putting small amounts (under 20 cents) back on my card, and I was supposed to contact them to verify that amount (for anti-fraud or something), but they never sent me an email explaining this. I eventually had to phone England and ask a live person.

And by the time they put the order through, the sale was over, and they refused to honor it, so it was 6 months plus like $30 extra. I think the UK has a different definition of customer service than the states does.

my bike page - my journal
Current Stable: Trek Emonda SL - Trek Top Fuel 8 - Scattante XRL - Jamis Dakar Expert - Trek 9700 - AlpineStars Al Mega
Old 10-11-17, 08:16 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Well my order did arrive yesterday so give PBK a bit of the benefit of the doubt that the delay past their estimate was because we (well bankers and the post office) observe this stupid holiday.