Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Your end of season report.....

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-18, 04:44 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
cold weather riding is some of the best
Old 09-22-18, 05:33 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
end of season report: Continuing the quest to be a 'has been' instead of a 'never was'. It eludes me still.
Where I live, it's still in the 90's, but colder weather is coming. We're lucky to have year-round riding though. I'm done with the competitive road rides for now, and will be turning up my gravel bike for the really fun fall & winter riding
Old 09-22-18, 05:39 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
cold weather riding is some of the best

I heartily agree, provided that it is not too cold, and if it is, that you are properly dressed for it. Because if you aren't, cold weather riding is downright horrific and nightmarish, way worse than riding in extreme heat.
Old 09-22-18, 05:43 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Greenhil
End of the season? Say it ain’t so! This is the first year that riding has been my main form of recreation. Sad to say I haven’t gone on a single hike this summer, and only took the kayak out once, but I am on track to log 2,000 miles of mainly gravel riding. I’ve never ridden much in colder weather and on winter roads so I’m reading with interest the comments about gearing up for it with studded tires, warmer clothing, etc.
Personally, I use fall a 'cross-training' time to recover from the season. It keeps the sport fresh. Now is great time to get those hikes in & the kayak out (I also do both). I have a grave bike as well - I'll start getting that out again for some longer 'for fun' weekend rides over the winter. I'll ride down to maybe 25 degrees (with a neck garter over my mouth), but beyond that it really messes with my lungs and asthma. If I wait until late morning, it'll probably be 35 degrees anyway. Over the years I've learned to layer pretty well, and have really good shoe covers and gloves (critical!). Not that much snow here in GA, but when it does get sloppy, I ride rollers in front of the TV.
Old 09-22-18, 05:49 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I am going to try to ride more during this winter. My reluctance has been based on my experience trying to ride through one winter on my motorcycle. It was horrific. Especially the day I was on an interstate at about 65 mph and then realized that the bike was rocking because I was on black ice. Scary as hell.. That was my last winter ride..
Old 09-22-18, 08:41 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
The only season ending here in Georgia is the too damned hot to ride season. I'm looking forward to the beginning of my favorite time of the year to ride.

Summer has been especially tough for me this year as the final step in a series of surgeries and treatments had me totally banned from riding or any other strenuous activity for all of June and July. i never imagined how hard it could be to motivate myself to start back riding when the temperature and humidity are soaring almost every day.

My season is just beginning.
Old 09-23-18, 04:48 AM
Greenhil

Bikes: 2018 Kona Rove NRB, 2121 Kona Libre

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by IronM
Personally, I use fall a 'cross-training' time to recover from the season. It keeps the sport fresh.
That’s a good bit of advice. Coincidentally, my biking buddy called the other day and suggested a hike. 31 degrees here this morning, so it’s getting to be that time of year.
Old 09-23-18, 07:08 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
@BobbyG, that's fantastic. Thank you. I don't read any Hebrew. I just recite by rote. You could well be right about the word moving from Hebrew to Yiddish.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-23-18, 08:15 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Well...end of season if you're in New England for sure....
But, I created this post to ask, "What's your story?" Just wondering how everyone has viewed their season thus far.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I have an unending cycling season.

A little short on miles this summer, but still rolling quite a bit. About time to start thinking of getting bikes tuned for the winter.
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I ride 12 months/year in Minnesota, so I'm not sure how one defines the end of the season.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I don't think of a cycling season, but rather a cycling year with a cycle of seasons. I posted to this thread, “Does a near-perfect weather place exist?.”

Not to sound religious, but I I like to think of Ash Wednesday as my “New Cycling Year’s Day.” It occurs usually still well into the Winter and I use that forty-day period of Lent as a marker to define a tolerable length of time to go into a rigorous dietary and training mode to shake off the winter blahs, even though I ride during the Winter anyways.

By Easter, Spring is making itself known and I’m particularly ready for it.
But regarding the usual "cycling season" here in Boston, I call it Leg Season:
Here in Massachusetts I celebrate Leg Season.
Originally Posted by rholland1951
...Summer for the time being, and the more prized for it.

I celebrate the nice weather part of the year as a self-proclaimed "Leg Season," when short pants are the usual dress. It starts on the first Sunday in May with the Annual Walk for Hunger, and ends on Columbus Day with the Annual Tufts 10 K Road Race, both attracting thousands of participants.
However, Leg Season 2018 has been a bust; about 20 miles per week:
...For the past few years I have been entirely satisfied with my carbon fiber road bike, aluminum road bike as a beater that accepts 30C studded tires, and a previous moumtain bike beater, now in storage.This year however has been a bust because this winter I developed a weakness in my neck muscles supporting my head upright (perhaps due to a two month unavoidable layoff) on my previously well-fitted bikes.

I had a subsequent fitting on both, with some handlebar adjustments. I recently got an exercise consultation for neck, shoulder and core muscles, and was given an exercise routine, that takes a big chunk of 50 minutes to perform. Exercise may fix it, but that’s a long-term solution.

All these remedies have barely allow me to ride my minimum 14 mile one-way commute with slight discomfort near the end. By this time of the year I'm doing weekly 50-60 mile rides easily, and even training for a Century. Just yesterday, I rented a hybrid style bike with flat handlebars, and was comfortable on the commute, even with a moderately heavy backpack

So now I’m giving in to the idea of a flat bar bike. I’m in a quandary if I should replace the drop bars on my aluminum beater (with endurance style geometry) with flat bars, see if I can buy this relatively cheap hybrid since it seems to work, or buy a new quality hybrid to my specifications. The Diverge is already set up as a nice all-weather commuter (see photo). I’m going to my trusted LBS on Saturday to make a decision.
So with about two weeks to go in Leg Season, I bought a Giant Escape bike and taken it for a couple of test rides. It should be adequate to usher me into a steady Winter Riding schedule.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-25-18 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-23-18, 08:38 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
My 'best bike' ('86 Miyata 710) was trapped in AZ with only my infrequent visits to take it out for a ride -- so after my visit out west this past March, I had it shipped back here to Ohio so I could enjoy it more. I like the Miyata's ride so much, I even put my beloved Fuji S-10S into a well-deserved retirement -- After almost 60,000 miles, I think it has earned it!

My former 'best' Ohio bike was the '84 Univega Viva Sport that was upgraded to near-Miyata 710 specs of the same year, so now I have redundant bikes... If was riding blindfolded (a neat trick in itself ), I'd be hard pressed to tell those two apart in ride 'feel'. I couldn't sell the Viva for even half of what I put into it doing the refurb/upgrades so I guess I'm stuck with it as a 'loaner' should anyone visiting need a rider.

In all, I only commuted around 20 times the 25 miles r/t on the 710 this past year due to road/sewer construction, and the detours were on much less bike-friendly roads with absolutely no shoulder. I also took it on a few more 20-40-mile jaunts in the countryside around here. Total=~1200 miles

The Viva got ridden a half dozen times for 'fast' rides out here in the sticks until I brought the Miyata home, so maybe 160 miles total.

OK, Ok...Fast is a relative term. I think I do OK for a 60-year-old near-Clyde with an average riding speed of just above 18mph. I did break my old one-way commute record one morning when on the Miyata -- 41 minutes, eight seconds door-to-door for the 12.5 miles. That works out to an average of 18.3mph including time spent stopped at traffic lights!

I am quite disappointed with my mileage total for the year so far...
Old 09-24-18, 08:45 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 708 Posts
"End of season"?!?! The hell with that, this is the beginning of the good season: When all the fair-weather cyclists stay indoors and there are far fewer klutzes, newbs, and idiots vying for space on the roads and paths.
I'll probably get >40% of my total annual mileage between now and New Year's Day.

(I live in New York, in case that's germane.)
Old 09-24-18, 08:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
This has turned into a broader topic than the original post, and I'm cool with that. Some people ride a bike for fun or exercise or both. I do, too, but the rides usually coincide with going somewhere I need to go. Most of my rides are between home and work. It's part of my exercise regime, and cycling is also soul work for me, so it's not a luxury but a necessity. But since I commute on bike, the weather is less of a factor in my decision of whether to ride or not. Today's weather here in NYC is cool and overcast. If I rode for pleasure only, I might look out and decide against it. I had a gusty, shifty headwind the whole way. I might call that unpleasant. But it was pleasant, and I can't remember many commuting rides I've taken where I regret doing them, wishing I had taken the subway instead. A bad day on the bike is usually better than a good day on the subway.

And like @Bob Ross, I like it when the bike routes are emptier due to so-called bad weather. Our bike routes are crowded like just about everything else in this densely packed city. I live and work in Manhattan, the densest part of the city.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-24-18, 01:04 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
"End of Season" in Socal means we all start complaining that it's under 60 at the start! Brrrr
Old 09-24-18, 03:51 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
"End of season"??? There is no end of season in Florida. September means cooler (more comfortable) temps will be here soon.
In hot months we're out at 6AM. In fall and spring we're out any time of the day. In the "cold" months we're out a bit later when the sun has warmed up the day a bit.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-05-18, 09:17 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Year Rounder Rider here! Come and only visit the Great North State
Old 10-05-18, 11:43 AM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
2018...So Far : 1900

Hoping for 600 more miles by end of yr:

Old 10-05-18, 01:25 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
We've had a couple of days with the high in the 70s, so I guess summer is over in Oklahoma. For the next six months it will be extremely variable, but should contain lots of good to acceptable cycling weather.
In cycling terms this year got off to a very slow start with a change of job, lots of stress and some health problems (all related of course). I'm happy to say that even though my new job leaves me less time to cycle, I'm back on track and hope to maintain at least 200 miles a month through the fall and winter.
Old 10-05-18, 01:42 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
"End of season"??? There is no end of season in Florida. September means cooler (more comfortable) temps will be here soon.
In hot months we're out at 6AM. In fall and spring we're out any time of the day. In the "cold" months we're out a bit later when the sun has warmed up the day a bit.
Yep! It's still in the 90s around here. Forecasters are saying that it doesn't look like it's going to change anytime within the next several weeks. Loving it!

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 10-07-18, 05:19 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Here in the Land Without Seasons, I barely even need to change clothes-- I think last winter I had to wear my tights about 10 times.

December is traditionally one of my biggest mileage months of the year. I've had my bought-on-sale Le Col armwarmers for over 6 months now, still looking forward to actually getting to try them out. Maybe in November.
Same thing here (Minnesota) - road season ends in December or when the ground freezes whichever comes first. But clothes are a very big deal in the last third of the season (Sep, Oct, Nov). Then there is fat biking season which starts when I get off the road.
Old 10-07-18, 06:07 PM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
Last year in June, I got drilled by a car and broke my right tibia/fibia/left shoulder. That ended my season early last year. Trust me, there are easier ways to get a new bike.

I was super psyched for this season and I started riding in February. I started getting in some good rides when I noticed a screw in my ankle was sticking out. The Dr. had to remove a plate and four screws from my ankle at the end of April. I had to stay off the bike for two weeks after my surgery.

I had signed up for a 140 mile charity ride in the middle of June. I figured I had 34 days to train after my ankle surgery. I did 4 rides a week plus a big ride on Saturdays. I some how made the 140 mile ride, but it took me a couple of weeks to recover...

I got in about 1200 miles, but now it's time for me to start my "Zwift" season and get some indoor miles and get ready for next season.
Old 10-07-18, 06:25 PM
andcarrotrope

Bikes: 2017 Felt Verza Speed 10

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Riding after work is coming to an end, but I'll be riding as much as possible on the weekends all fall/winter.
Old 10-07-18, 07:01 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
Here in the southern end of the Golden State we don't have an end to the season. Hell we only have two seasons--hot and hotter. I'd love to live where I had all four seasons.
Jon
Old 10-07-18, 07:13 PM
PaulH

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
I think one of the best things about cycling is that allows one to deeply experience the seasons. After three months of hot rides to work and back, I'm now experiencing more comfortable weather. In a month, all my trips home from work will be in darkness. In two months, the studded tires go on, and snow may come. A few months later, trips home slowly become light again and the warmth returns. The passage from Ecclesiastes definitely applies.
Old 10-07-18, 10:36 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
We used to just have two seasons:
1.) January 1-Thanksgiving: ride all the time
2.) Thanksgiving-January 1: There be monsters (shoppers rushing, drunks, drunk shoppers) aka roller season

The past five years or so we've added fire/smoke season. It hits at some random time between July and September. The logging roads are all closed and you don't want to ride out to them anyway because the air is toxic. We dodged the smoke almost completely this year in the Willamette Valley. (Points south weren't so lucky; I left NorCal as the County fire struck, and it was followed by the Mendocino complex shortly thereafter. And don't even mention the Rogue Valley; it was invisible under a cloud of smoke all summer.)

In spite of our awesome weather and luck with the smoke, I barely got 8000 miles in. I'm procrastinating on knee surgery (only a problem if I walk; I can ride all day, so what's the hurry?) and my spouse is procrastinating on a hip replacement, so we just didn't find as many tandem rides happening. We're hoping for more riding this year. We're locked into 50 miles per week with our granddaughters (the four-year-old rides eleven miles four days a week and we add the six-year-old for part of that), so we always get in the saddle at least a wee bit.
Old 10-08-18, 04:51 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
I normally ride late February/March through November/early December; don't ride through mid-winter. Usually accumulate around 5k miles or so.

However, this year has been a bit of loss. Major health issues beginning Friday April 13 (yep!) pretty much wiped out this season for me. Still dealing with some on-going matters, but I was able to resume riding the end of August. Plan to keep going as long as possible -- hoping for an extended, mild Fall.

Can't complain; managed to get through 67 years without anything much at all going wrong medically. Nevertheless, by way of consoling myself I've ordered a new bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.