Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Finally got a 16 mile an hour ride.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Finally got a 16 mile an hour ride.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-19, 08:27 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Guess I will toot my old rear end horn a bit..66 years old with 4100 miles logged so far this year with a overall average speed of those 4100 miles @ 18.7MPH.. I am quite happy with that knowing that 11 years ago I was 265lbs and could not pedal a bike one mile.... I am quite pleased how things are going for me ... By no means is that rocket fast but I feel I am ok with other guys my age of 66 years old and older..
Old 07-12-19, 12:44 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Way to go Trekmogul! I'm in my mid forties and hadn't let myself go (still within "average" BMI but I could stand to lose--or convert--five to ten pounds of fat) but I had become very sedentary since my thirties. I think being blessed with a decent metabolism and not letting myself go crazy with food was the only reason I didn't balloon in weight.

When I first picked cycling back up after nearly 30 years, I was on a loaner Trek FX until my purchase arrived, and I probably averaged 10mph and couldn't go too far without being winded (like 10 miles). That was Memorial Day this year. Now I'm routinely riding 15-25 miles a day (limited due to work schedule) and averaging over 15mph and coming back with that "good workout" feeling of tiredness, but not exhausted. Next up: improving my ability to take on hills/steep inclines.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 07-12-19, 01:47 PM
69chevy
wears long socks

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Getting to a speed you have been after is awesome no matter what.

In the area I live there are routes that I could manage 16mph solo and it would be painful, 20mph solo and it would be painful, 18mph in a group and it would be painful (for me), and 21-22 in a group as long as I don't pull too hard and get dropped. I've ridden in groups as the weakest rider yet finished with the same average speed as the strongest. I've ridden in groups as one of the strongest riders and when we'd lose someone, I'd go back and try to pull them back, ending up with a slower average than the guys I'd been pulling to a higher than normal speed.

My whole blabbering there is speed is dependent on a lot of things. Wind, elevation gained, length of steep grades, length of mild grades, placement of grades, etc...

What matters is you pushed yourself to a new mark, and are proud as you should be. On to the next mark...

Kudos.
Old 07-12-19, 03:45 PM
Weakbikr

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul
Guess I will toot my old rear end horn a bit..66 years old with 4100 miles logged so far this year with a overall average speed of those 4100 miles @ 18.7MPH.. I am quite happy with that knowing that 11 years ago I was 265lbs and could not pedal a bike one mile.... I am quite pleased how things are going for me ... By no means is that rocket fast but I feel I am ok with other guys my age of 66 years old and older..
That's awesome, I know I'll get there eventually. I'm in no rush. I'm happy that I've found something I can do as I get older. I still lift 4 days a week but for joint health I'm just not interested in really heavy lifts anymore.
Old 07-13-19, 04:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
@Weakbikr: Feels good, hmm?

I resumed cycling in 2015 after 30+ years away, and was shocked by how difficult it had become. When I was in my teens and 20s it seemed easy to cruise for hours at 20+ mph. But being in my late 50s in 2015 (61 now), with the usual aging stuff, health and injuries, reality set in quickly.

Since 2015 I've ridden the same two or three training/relaxation/zen routes, from 10 to 30 miles, so often I have every inch memorized.

I remember every milestone.

The first was riding 400 yards without stopping to catch my breath. Seriously, when I first resumed cycling in August 2015 I literally could not ride more than 400 yards without needing a hit on my albuterol inhaler and a couple of minutes to catch my breath.

It took six weeks to ride 3 miles without stopping. It took two or three months to ride 10 miles total, with frequent rest breaks. I didn't even bother checking my speed or using Strava or carrying my iPhone back then. I didn't need any device to tell me how slow I was. I didn't start using apps like Strava, Cyclemeter and Wahoo Fitness until I could ride 20 miles with only one or two brief rest breaks.

Each year I've made steady but slow progress. 2016, I managed to average 14 mph on my favorite routes. Then 15 mph in 2017; 16 mph in 2018. A year-long setback from shoulder and neck injuries from being hit by a car last year, and subsequent bout with thyroid cancer (no metastasis, surgery got it, just took longer than I'd expected to recover). Now I'm up to 17 mph on the same routes.

I can finally hang with the local fast club's B-group rides, with the other old dudes and dudettes. I'm still the weakest and slowest of the 50+ folks. But they're good folks, good company, encouraging, with just the right balance of support and competitive streak.

On days when I feel slower than usual, at least on some segments, I'll check Strava to see how the local hardcore guys and gals are doing (there's a local pro men's and women's team here). It's semi-reassuring to see when they're slower than usual on the same routes and segments, a good indication that wind was a factor. Ditto the other semi-old folks who ride in my area, whose times and speeds are usually nearly identical to my own. Helps with both motivation and keep things in perspective.

Mostly, I remind myself to have fun. If "having fun" on any particular day means pushing my limits into the pain zone, that's fine for that day. If it means relaxing and just watching the world go by, that's a good ride too.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 07-13-19, 06:14 AM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Originally Posted by Weakbikr
That's awesome, I know I'll get there eventually. I'm in no rush. I'm happy that I've found something I can do as I get older. I still lift 4 days a week but for joint health I'm just not interested in really heavy lifts anymore.
Yes you will get there and i tell everyone that if i can do it ,anyone can. It takes a serious commitment and dedication staying focuses. When I set my mind to do something, I am quite good at reaching my goals. When I was 265lbs 11 years ago something had to change or i would end up with serious health problems down the road possibly. I can tell you the cycling really has little bearing on weight loss at all. 90% of weight loss in my opinion is what you put in your mouth plain and simple. You are what you eat and do you eat to live or live to eat is the question... You just keep pecking away at it and you will be just fine. I am right at 150lbs and not put on one single LB in these eleven years since my "LIFE STYLE" Change...

Old 07-13-19, 06:19 AM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by CarloM
Way to go Trekmogul! I'm in my mid forties and hadn't let myself go (still within "average" BMI but I could stand to lose--or convert--five to ten pounds of fat) but I had become very sedentary since my thirties. I think being blessed with a decent metabolism and not letting myself go crazy with food was the only reason I didn't balloon in weight.

When I first picked cycling back up after nearly 30 years, I was on a loaner Trek FX until my purchase arrived, and I probably averaged 10mph and couldn't go too far without being winded (like 10 miles). That was Memorial Day this year. Now I'm routinely riding 15-25 miles a day (limited due to work schedule) and averaging over 15mph and coming back with that "good workout" feeling of tiredness, but not exhausted. Next up: improving my ability to take on hills/steep inclines.
You keep working at it young man and it will happen... I am living proof of it here..
Old 07-13-19, 06:22 AM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by canklecat
@Weakbikr: Feels good, hmm?

I resumed cycling in 2015 after 30+ years away, and was shocked by how difficult it had become. When I was in my teens and 20s it seemed easy to cruise for hours at 20+ mph. But being in my late 50s in 2015 (61 now), with the usual aging stuff, health and injuries, reality set in quickly.

Since 2015 I've ridden the same two or three training/relaxation/zen routes, from 10 to 30 miles, so often I have every inch memorized.

I remember every milestone.

The first was riding 400 yards without stopping to catch my breath. Seriously, when I first resumed cycling in August 2015 I literally could not ride more than 400 yards without needing a hit on my albuterol inhaler and a couple of minutes to catch my breath.

It took six weeks to ride 3 miles without stopping. It took two or three months to ride 10 miles total, with frequent rest breaks. I didn't even bother checking my speed or using Strava or carrying my iPhone back then. I didn't need any device to tell me how slow I was. I didn't start using apps like Strava, Cyclemeter and Wahoo Fitness until I could ride 20 miles with only one or two brief rest breaks.

Each year I've made steady but slow progress. 2016, I managed to average 14 mph on my favorite routes. Then 15 mph in 2017; 16 mph in 2018. A year-long setback from shoulder and neck injuries from being hit by a car last year, and subsequent bout with thyroid cancer (no metastasis, surgery got it, just took longer than I'd expected to recover). Now I'm up to 17 mph on the same routes.

I can finally hang with the local fast club's B-group rides, with the other old dudes and dudettes. I'm still the weakest and slowest of the 50+ folks. But they're good folks, good company, encouraging, with just the right balance of support and competitive streak.

On days when I feel slower than usual, at least on some segments, I'll check Strava to see how the local hardcore guys and gals are doing (there's a local pro men's and women's team here). It's semi-reassuring to see when they're slower than usual on the same routes and segments, a good indication that wind was a factor. Ditto the other semi-old folks who ride in my area, whose times and speeds are usually nearly identical to my own. Helps with both motivation and keep things in perspective.

Mostly, I remind myself to have fun. If "having fun" on any particular day means pushing my limits into the pain zone, that's fine for that day. If it means relaxing and just watching the world go by, that's a good ride too.
66 here and just do what one can do and ANYTHING is better then nothing is how I look at it. I was out early this morning and did 24miles @ 19.2MPH solo and that gives me a big thrill...
Old 07-13-19, 06:28 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
66 here and just do what one can do and ANYTHING is better then nothing is how I look at it. I was out early this morning and did 24miles @ 19.2MPH solo and that gives me a big thrill...
Wow, that's terrific. When I break down my Strava data I can see some stretches of 5-10 miles where I'm averaging around 20 mph. But I still can't sustain it for an entire 20-30 mile ride. And it's still a challenge just to finish the local club's weekly 50+ mile rides.

Still, I've made steady progress so it'll come.
Old 07-13-19, 07:21 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
"LIFE STYLE" Change...

Looking bad@ss... Trekmogul for Prez!
Old 07-13-19, 09:06 AM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
Looking bad@ss... Trekmogul for Prez!

This picture was taken of me in Mid March as I rode across the island of Sri Lanka 400KM in 3 days time for a charity ride Battered Women of Sri lanka. It was no race by any means and I was the oldest 66 and all three days I did manage to always in the top 2 upon completing every day with temperatures well over 39C @ 18.5MPH or more on each ride. I Street it was no race by any means, however every person has some sort of competitive nature in them to not let another cyclist by them if all possible...
Old 07-13-19, 09:18 AM
Weakbikr

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
All you guys are awesome, reminds me of my 72 year old father in law that I at times struggle to keep up with. Had another great ride this morning. Almost 33 miles at 16.0. I'm plenty happy with it. I know I'm getting stronger and I know I'll get faster. I'm just trying to enjoy it and not get caught up in the whole speed thing. Don't get me wrong, I want to be fast and one day maybe I will. More than that I just want to enjoy the journey. Alot of things are coming together for me as of late. I finally got fit to my bike last weekend because I got tired of chasing that tiger by the tail. Man what a difference a good fit makes. I was close but seems close don't count. So I felt pretty dang comfortable today. No numb nuts, no hot spots and when I did my part no numb hands. I'm gonna do my part and go to work with what I have. I know things will fall into place.
Old 07-13-19, 10:31 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If y'all just want to see a number, make it happen. Want to do a ride at 18 or 19mph? Easy. Pick a flat loop of less than a mile. I have a lap around a parking lot at our non-operational airport. Each lap is 0.5 miles long, with a whopping 7 feet of elevation change. I can ride around that lap at 19+ miles an hour all day long. Never have to stop. No traffic, no stop lights, just going in a squared circle.

Average speed out in the "real world" is a massive ball of variables. Every missed traffic light can easily add 20 seconds to a ride total. The difference between 20mph and 19.9mph? Twenty seconds. So every time you have to break cadence-- not even completely stop-- you're losing about a tenth of a mile an hour from your average.

That said, a 16mph average is great. All of the club rides in my local area average 13-14mph, and that's a big group moving together. Speed comes from time in the saddle. I've probably done intervals maybe 10 times in my whole life, and have averaged +17mph for 40,000+ miles. My proper road bike has a historic average of 18.2mph over 9,800 miles. Just keep riding. The speed comes.