Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Changing punctures whilst outside ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Changing punctures whilst outside ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-20, 09:27 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by BeeRich
I fixed it. The last thing I need is a big tube of glop to carry across Europe, when I have patch kits. The second fix was by a bike store as well. That fix lasted for the rest of the trip, IIRC.
It's not a big tube of glop. It's a small bottle which you can put it in the tube before you get a puncture so it takes up no space. Works very well.
Better than stuck at the side of a busy road trying to patch a tube.
Obviously it won't save every situation but it will save some.
You had three punctures in one morning.
Might have been only one.

​​​
Old 06-09-20, 09:57 AM
BeeRich

Bikes: MEC Côte, Ironhorse MT700R, a Spinner, Nishiki Continental

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
So a tube of glop that I put into my tires. Why would I want to add more weight to a touring bike? A patch kit weighs minimal. Smaller than a deck of cards.

And who was stuck? I fixed it. Twice that morning in fact. Going off-road can do that to a touring bike. Since I fixed it the second time, I knew it was a different flat.

Originally Posted by blamester
It's not a big tube of glop. It's a small bottle which you can put it in the tube before you get a puncture so it takes up no space. Works very well.
Better than stuck at the side of a busy road trying to patch a tube.
Obviously it won't save every situation but it will save some.
You had three punctures in one morning.
Might have been only one.
​​​
Likes For BeeRich:
Old 06-09-20, 11:12 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
I'm always a bit apprehensive when I get more then 7 or so km (perhaps a 1.5 hour walk from home) on my bike for fear of getting a flat. I've never even had the wheel off my 2018 bike.
Unrecognized benefit of cycling in NYC: if you don't want to bother with tools, patch kits, spares... just carry a metrocard. Super thin and light weight, it will get you and your bike home 24 hours a day.
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 06-09-20, 01:06 PM
Novalite

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That 100 grammes-extremism, regardless 5 or 5000 km tour it's sometimes like an obsession.
Even in competition, I see saving on bike weight as just cheating. If I would pay the prices to win I'd insist all same bike only framesize differs.
And this is even outside / far away from competition.
I have no problem with kilo's luggage, it's just somewhat harder to pedal and somewhat slower uphill but so what, bike is to train if you don't want to train then use scooter car bus metro train whatever no matter gasoline electric whatever.
What I ALWAYS (so not actually luggage) have on my bike:
- a heavy (> 1 kg) chain plus padlock.
- a spare rollerchain (750 gr) (so I'm always on the way with two chains)
- spare rear cog (chromoly)
- tools, also non pure bike related (3 kg)
- 3 pumps
- 3 spare inner tubes
- a tube with a variety small bolts.
- a 70 liter backpack, with in the side pockets a couple thick ropes with an eye.
- a 30 liter backpack
- two bags with zippers, to keep small things together.
- 1 big (4 square metres), 3 small plastic sheets.
- 3 bags (2 kg) tying material (ropes, rubber, belts).
- 2 army plastic water 1l bottles, when hot + a 3l one.
- sheets reflective material (for when it's dark and I have luggage blocking my lights).
- a raincoat and 2 epdm shoe covers.

And it's all not to survive the end of the world lol, just to cover my daily needs and 'in cases'.
So lol at that 100 gram wooha what a load to carry a thousand miles.
Old 06-09-20, 01:20 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by venomx
Is it easy ?
It depends.

Using two wraps of 1 mil Kapton tape totaling 0.005" and finishing the second bead at the valve stem I can easily handle tight tires without tools.

You just have to milk the slack around and flip it over with your thumbs or palm heel.

Finishing 180 degrees opposite the valve and thick rim tape make it more difficult because the stem keeps the bead out of the smallest diameter part of the wheel leaving less slack..

ive watched some YouTube totorials and would just about manage to take the back wheel on and off ( front one is easy )
The back wheel is easy with a little practice manipulating the derailleur on reinstallation. Be sure to have your shifter in the smallest cog for removal and installation.
Old 06-09-20, 01:25 PM
BeeRich

Is that a sarcastic reply? You carry 3 pumps on your bike? I just don't carry what I don't need. A patch kit is just fine. I had other tubes and tires.
Old 06-09-20, 01:41 PM
Novalite

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Btw last time I had to replace a Schwalbe marathon plus I ended up using a small bare steel gripper, first a lever between rim and tyre, then I inserted the arm of the gripper just aside the lever, then shove the arm sideways along the rim. A second lever would just have damaged the rim.
Old 06-10-20, 11:40 AM
Novalite

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Is that a sarcastic reply? You carry 3 pumps on your bike? I just don't carry what I don't need. A patch kit is just fine. I had other tubes and tires.
I like to have some backups, sometimes a pump gets damaged or a small part got lost, and discovery is typically when you need it.
Patching I never did / bothered. Not at home and certainly not along the road. It's already enough work to replace a tyre let alone mess around with glue in cold wind rain dark. So no sarcasm, my post was more to illustrate that I find carrying around some weight not a problem.
Old 06-10-20, 01:32 PM
RefRick

Bikes: Trek Domane 4, Cannondale H400, Velo Orange Pass Hunter

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
I take a spare tube or 2, a mini-pump, tire levers and a couple of CO2 cylinders. Remove the wheel and remove the tire and tube completely from the rim. CAREFULLY inspect the inside and outside of the tire for the cause of the puncture. Sometimes it's obvious but usually it's a tiny sliver of glass or a wire that's not easy to find. Find it. Or them. I've seen too many riders rush or ignore this step only to have another flat a quarter of a mile down the road.

Once you are sure there is nothing left to cause another puncture, reinstall one side of the tire on the rim, lightly inflate the new tube by mouth or a couple of pump strokes to round it out, install it in the tire and reseat the other tire bead. Check to be sure the tire is evenly seated and the tube is fully inside. Inflate fully using the mini-pump or CO2. I use my mini-pump to start the inflation to be sure the tire is seated properly and the tube holds pressure and then bring it up to full pressure with the CO2.
This should be emphasized over and over. I forgot to find the cause of my flat in addition to misplacing my patch kit on a previous ride. Result was two popped tubes, a call to the wife for a ride home, and much shame.
Likes For RefRick:
Old 06-10-20, 03:19 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Maybe this is a good time to talk about chain lube. One aspect of changing a rear tire flat is the chain lube that invariably gets on your hands, and then on your black bike shorts.

Many many years ago there was this yellow plastic chain holder that went around the sides of the chain and over the back of the dropout that helped. I still have one. I don’t know if bikes still have chain hangers on the seat stay.

Dry lube is much less messy. But if you are touring then lube is more important than a short ride.

John
Old 06-10-20, 03:31 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
One other thing. There are tire levers made by VAR, but are becoming harder to find, that lift the tire up and over the edge of the rim. Similar to the Kool Stop tire jack but smaller and lighter.

There is nothing worse than sitting by the side of the road patching a tube only to pinch it when re-mounting it. Even if the tire is not difficult to install, it gives a little more peace of mind that those 15-20 minutes spent didn’t suddenly go to waste.

John
Old 06-10-20, 04:38 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
I got my third flat of the day (before 11 am) on a French highway with no shoulder. Cars zipping past me at 70-100 kmph while I took my time sitting half-way in a ditch trying to fix something that had given full attitude already. That was a short day. But a big learning day as well. I got to a hotel and bought some chocolate and beer.
This
Old 06-10-20, 04:56 PM
BeeRich

Fixed.